Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:getting to an elite firm is 100% based on your grades and how much of a grinder you are in law school

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth


I'm sure you're joking, but I've only met a handful of partners who were alpha "bros". This isn't i-banking where you want some hotshot to make up some crazy financing instrument. The executive committee at my firm are "your dad" types: stern, nose to the grindstone folks. Social, but in a "commands the room" sort of way, not a "nailing bitches" sort of way.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:17 pm

rayiner wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:getting to an elite firm is 100% based on your grades and how much of a grinder you are in law school

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth


I'm sure you're joking, but I've only met a handful of partners who were alpha "bros". This isn't i-banking where you want some hotshot to make up some crazy financing instrument. The executive committee at my firm are "your dad" types: stern, nose to the grindstone folks. Social, but in a "commands the room" sort of way, not a "nailing bitches" sort of way.


The "nailing bitches" types become the "commands the room" types later in life. HTH

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:getting to an elite firm is 100% based on your grades and how much of a grinder you are in law school

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth


I'm sure you're joking, but I've only met a handful of partners who were alpha "bros". This isn't i-banking where you want some hotshot to make up some crazy financing instrument. The executive committee at my firm are "your dad" types: stern, nose to the grindstone folks. Social, but in a "commands the room" sort of way, not a "nailing bitches" sort of way.


The "nailing bitches" types become the "commands the room" types later in life. HTH


Generally not true. That's what they tell themselves early in life, though. HTH.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Renzo wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:getting to an elite firm is 100% based on your grades and how much of a grinder you are in law school

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth


I'm sure you're joking, but I've only met a handful of partners who were alpha "bros". This isn't i-banking where you want some hotshot to make up some crazy financing instrument. The executive committee at my firm are "your dad" types: stern, nose to the grindstone folks. Social, but in a "commands the room" sort of way, not a "nailing bitches" sort of way.


The "nailing bitches" types become the "commands the room" types later in life. HTH


Generally not true. That's what they tell themselves early in life, though. HTH.


cite authority please

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
cite authority please


Where do you think homeless people come from? Haven't you ever wondered why the age demographics of bums and fratty doods don't overlap?

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Renzo wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
cite authority please


Where do you think homeless people come from? Haven't you ever wondered why the age demographics of bums and fratty doods don't overlap?


thank you

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:getting to an elite firm is 100% based on your grades and how much of a grinder you are in law school

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth


I'm sure you're joking, but I've only met a handful of partners who were alpha "bros". This isn't i-banking where you want some hotshot to make up some crazy financing instrument. The executive committee at my firm are "your dad" types: stern, nose to the grindstone folks. Social, but in a "commands the room" sort of way, not a "nailing bitches" sort of way.


The "nailing bitches" types become the "commands the room" types later in life. HTH


I'm not talking about Bill Clinton "works a room" but rather Dwight D. Eisenhower "commands a room."

Also, for the counter example to your claim see George W. Bush.

User avatar
supernma
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby supernma » Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
Renzo wrote:Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.


other than Wachtell and W&C are there any more?


Quinn

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri May 24, 2013 12:02 am

supernma wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:
Renzo wrote:Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.


other than Wachtell and W&C are there any more?


Quinn


literally crying from laughter right now

User avatar
supernma
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby supernma » Fri May 24, 2013 12:27 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
supernma wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:
Renzo wrote:Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.


other than Wachtell and W&C are there any more?


Quinn


literally crying from laughter right now


why

User avatar
DamnLSAT
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby DamnLSAT » Fri May 24, 2013 1:06 am

Because it's the law firm run by the guy from ace ventura of course
Image

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri May 24, 2013 1:26 am

supernma wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
supernma wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:
other than Wachtell and W&C are there any more?


Quinn


literally crying from laughter right now


why


Because Quinn is 1) over-leveraged, 2) hiring quite a bit recently from the lateral partner market and 3) a terrible place to try to make partner.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby itbdvorm » Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Because Quinn is 1) over-leveraged, 2) hiring quite a bit recently from the lateral partner market and 3) a terrible place to try to make partner.


Agreed on all fronts.

User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Nightrunner » Fri May 24, 2013 1:49 am

supernma wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:
Renzo wrote:Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.


other than Wachtell and W&C are there any more?


Quinn

You are a 0L. Please stop shitting up the Employment forum.

See: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 25, 2013 9:32 pm

surprised no one mentioned Susman Godfrey yet

They are actually reverse leveraged. 60 partners/40 associates last time I checked. Plus the partnership track is only 6 years and over the last couple of years every associate who has been up for partner has made it. It seems like this might be the only firm where if you can get in the door and can last through the 6 years, you'll make partner.

User avatar
dw3
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:surprised no one mentioned Susman Godfrey yet

They are actually reverse leveraged. 60 partners/40 associates last time I checked. Plus the partnership track is only 6 years and over the last couple of years every associate who has been up for partner has made it. It seems like this might be the only firm where if you can get in the door and can last through the 6 years, you'll make partner.


Solid. PPP there is super high too right?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby anon168 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:04 am

Can't provide a meaningful answer unless you first define "partner".

Don't sneer. It's actually harder than you think, especially for those of you still in law school.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Old Gregg » Sun May 26, 2013 12:43 pm

anon168 wrote:Can't provide a meaningful answer unless you first define "partner".

Don't sneer. It's actually harder than you think, especially for those of you still in law school.


Doesn't even matter. This thread is laughable even before we get into that debate.

If we thought making partner was bad now, it is worse than it was a few years ago, and it's going to get even worse when these guys are up for it.

Big firm economics, even at the elite level, are changing drastically. Partners are getting pushed out, more and more associates are joining a growing second tier of equity partnership, and firms are looking to promote less from within as they look to grow PPP.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby anon168 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
anon168 wrote:Can't provide a meaningful answer unless you first define "partner".

Don't sneer. It's actually harder than you think, especially for those of you still in law school.


Doesn't even matter. This thread is laughable even before we get into that debate.

If we thought making partner was bad now, it is worse than it was a few years ago, and it's going to get even worse when these guys are up for it.

Big firm economics, even at the elite level, are changing drastically. Partners are getting pushed out, more and more associates are joining a growing second tier of equity partnership, and firms are looking to promote less from within as they look to grow PPP.


Actually, it does. For the very reason you cited in your last paragraph.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm

,




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.