Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
liLtuneChi

Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Before I get all the hate messages saying that looking to joining a firm based on making partner is foolish. I'm here to preempt all such discussion by conceding that I know that no matter where you go the chances of making partner are minimal. I just want more knowledge on what the chances are across different firms. TLS has a wealth of knowledge and I would like to be educated on this subject.

Just based on a rudimentary knowledge of the structure of biglaw firms, I would suppose that the best chances of making partner come from joining firms that are not highly leveraged. Am I wrong in assuming that its easier to make partner at a Wachtell, W&C, or Munger than it is at Cravath, Covington, or Gibson Dunn.

Also could someone just tell list firms with PPP of 1 million or above that offer the best chances at partner also which have the shortest track as well.

Thanks.

Renzo

Re: Which elite firms offer the best chance at making partner?

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.

markymark

Postby markymark » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Renzo wrote:Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.

Relatedly, note where these laterals are hired. A lot firms do hire many laterals, but only in satellite offices. Not something to be as concerned about if you're in the home office.

General rule of thumb is that the home office is best for making partner.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:38 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:Before I get all the hate messages saying that looking to joining a firm based on making partner is foolish. I'm here to preempt all such discussion by conceding that I know that no matter where you go the chances of making partner are minimal. I just want more knowledge on what the chances are across different firms. TLS has a wealth of knowledge and I would like to be educated on this subject.

Just based on a rudimentary knowledge of the structure of biglaw firms, I would suppose that the best chances of making partner come from joining firms that are not highly leveraged. Am I wrong in assuming that its easier to make partner at a Wachtell, W&C, or Munger than it is at Cravath, Covington, or Gibson Dunn.

Also could someone just tell list firms with PPP of 1 million or above that offer the best chances at partner also which have the shortest track as well.

Thanks.

Didn't your last attempt at a flame get locked?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Firms where you enter and you are a white male.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Wachtell, based on reputation.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Renzo wrote:Look for low leverage, and firms that don't go to the lateral partner market very often.

other than Wachtell and W&C are there any more?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:45 pm

there is no easy way to make partner, period. if you aren't partner material, you wont make partner at any firm. looking for an "easiest" path is one strike against your assertion that you will ever be partner anywhere.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Orrick
O'Melveney

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:there is no easy way to make partner, period. if you aren't partner material, you wont make partner at any firm. looking for an "easiest" path is one strike against your assertion that you will ever be partner anywhere.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "easier".

I'm talking about it in the same sense as it being "easier" to get into a V5 firm from HLS than GULC. Sure its gonna be hard either way and your gonna have to work hard at either school, but its widely acknowledged that its probably gonna be easier at HLS to get a V5 job than at GULC simply because the top firms recruit more from HLS.

In the same way, I know its gonna take hard work no matter what. But I would like to put myself in the best position possible.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:46 pm

MrAnon wrote:Orrick
O'Melveney

those seem like large highly leveraged firms

why do you think they offer a better chance than other firms?

saladfiend

Postby saladfiend » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:52 pm

In this context, what do you mean by "leveraged"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Based on your behavior in previous threads, your personality will be a far bigger impediment to your chances at partnership than the firm you go to.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:09 pm

The elite litigation boutiques will usually have better chances of making partners. In the NY firms, you have a better chance of making partner from the corporate department, because they are both less highly leveraged and promote more partners.

In terms of firms, you gotta look at the numbers. Jones Day, for example, has a very low leverage and promotes dozens of partners each year.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:11 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Orrick
O'Melveney

those seem like large highly leveraged firms

why do you think they offer a better chance than other firms?

I think it's a joke based on the last few ATL articles on those firms. Orrick was profiled in how they are beginning to hire more non-partner-track attorneys, and OMM was basically predicted to be the next Howrey.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Trust me. If you want to make partner, you up your chances by going to one of those. Cannot tell you how I know.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:36 am

rayiner wrote:The elite litigation boutiques will usually have better chances of making partners. In the NY firms, you have a better chance of making partner from the corporate department, because they are both less highly leveraged and promote more partners.

In terms of firms, you gotta look at the numbers. Jones Day, for example, has a very low leverage and promotes dozens of partners each year.

which boutiques are you talking about?

could you provide a couple of names

and which NYC corporate departments are you talking about when you say they less leveraged and promote more partners?

thanks

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 am

liLtuneChi wrote:
rayiner wrote:The elite litigation boutiques will usually have better chances of making partners. In the NY firms, you have a better chance of making partner from the corporate department, because they are both less highly leveraged and promote more partners.

which boutiques are you talking about?

could you provide a couple of names

and which NYC corporate departments are you talking about when you say they less leveraged and promote more partners?

thanks

Bartlit Beck, Keker van Nest, etc.

Also, nearly all NYC corporate departments are less leveraged than their litigation departments. By a substantial margin (usually 3.5:1 versus 5:1).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Saying that less leveraged firms have higher partnership chances actually misreads the situation. Highly leveraged and prestigious firms often have associates lateral to become partners elsewhere. Your odds of making partner AT Skadden might look lower than your odds at Wachtell, but I'd bet it evens out somewhat if you look at the careers of Skadden lawyers moving to other firms.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:Saying that less leveraged firms have higher partnership chances actually misreads the situation. Highly leveraged and prestigious firms often have associates lateral to become partners elsewhere. Your odds of making partner AT Skadden might look lower than your odds at Wachtell, but I'd bet it evens out somewhat if you look at the careers of Skadden lawyers moving to other firms.

I don't how true this is.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 pm

rayiner wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Saying that less leveraged firms have higher partnership chances actually misreads the situation. Highly leveraged and prestigious firms often have associates lateral to become partners elsewhere. Your odds of making partner AT Skadden might look lower than your odds at Wachtell, but I'd bet it evens out somewhat if you look at the careers of Skadden lawyers moving to other firms.

I don't know how true this is.

I personally met a small army of partners at DC firms who started work in big / prestigious NYC firms during recruiting. This is the kind of thing that would be extremely difficult to quantify, but I think it's a real phenomenon.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:12 pm

getting to an elite firm is 100% based on your grades and how much of a grinder you are in law school

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I don't know how true this is.

I personally met a small army of partners at DC firms who started work in big / prestigious NYC firms during recruiting. This is the kind of thing that would be extremely difficult to quantify, but I think it's a real phenomenon.

I put "step down the law firm food chain to make partner at a less prestigious firm" in the "exit options" bucket, not the "partnership chances" bucket.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 pm

becoming partner requires a totally different set of skills. namely, you have to be an alpha bro over 6' tall with a great smile and social skills. hth

You haven't met very many partners then. Alpha bros types are present, but hardly in the majority.

Return to “Legal Employment”