Chances at SLIP?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances at SLIP?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey guys! Wondering if you could give me a bit of advice on my chances of SLIP -- I know it's really competitive, but I just don't know how competitive. I'm a rising 2L at MVP.

1. I have no WE to speak of; I came straight through from UG to law school.
2. This summer, I'm working as an RA (for a seriously baller professor, but still, I'm only working as an RA).
3. I have a 3.96 (and so I'm pretty sure I'll get on LR come July). I participated in extramural moot court this past year, if that makes any difference, and I've done a fair bit of pro bono.

I'd love love love to be in the Civil Rights division.

Thanks!

(Also, can you apply for more than one component? I know the OARM's website says you can rank up to three, but SHOULD you? Will that count against you?)

If there was a comprehensive SLIP info thread that I missed, feel free to just redirect me there.

rayiner

Re: Chances at SLIP?

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:54 pm

3.96 at MVP? Almost guaranteed given your level of interest, unless you're a social retard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:56 pm

rayiner wrote:3.96 at MVP? Almost guaranteed given your level of interest, unless you're a social retard.

haha uh oh

just kidding, kind of. that's good news!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:08 pm

rayiner wrote:3.96 at MVP? Almost guaranteed given your level of interest, unless you're a social retard.

I did SLIP. You should definitely apply and probably have a decent chance, but SLIP selection is not nearly as grade-based as the poster above suggests. You need good grades to have a shot, but the hiring committee takes relevant experience very, very seriously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I did SLIP. You should definitely apply and probably have a decent chance, but SLIP selection is not nearly as grade-based as the poster above suggests. You need good grades to have a shot, but the hiring committee takes relevant experience very, very seriously.

What counts as relevant experience? See, I have experience doing pro bono/public interest-related things, but nothing like working for the government 1L summer or anything govt related.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What counts as relevant experience? See, I have experience doing pro bono/public interest-related things, but nothing like working for the government 1L summer or anything govt related.

That will help. It doesn't need to be government experience. Not having pre-law school experience will hurt though, but it doesn't mean you won't get in.

Return to “Legal Employment”