Where to bid, 3.57 Mich., DC/Chi

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where to bid, 3.57 Mich., DC/Chi

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Have a 3.57 at Michigan and am looking to work in DC or Chicago. Based on the GPA percentile calculator in another thread, I think that's around top 12%, but take that with a grain of salt (and if you somehow have a better idea of the percentile, feel free to tell me). Unfortunately our GPA data compilation goes back to 2005 (when I assume GPAs were lower), and for many firms doesn't separate out offices, which can be deceptive since supposedly DC offices have higher ranges. So I'm hoping people here, esp. Mich students, can provide bidding advice. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Where to bid, 3.57 Mich., DC/Chi

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 pm

3.57 is not top 12%

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm curious how you came up with top 12%. 3.556 is top 25% according to Dean Baum's letter, and 3.655 is top 15%. Of course, these are average 3L grades, so they're likely a bit inflated. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just curious what your assumptions were, and what you put in the GPA calculator (the one that's stickied, I assume).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:17 pm

yeah, 12% seemed pretty high. someone in a different thread said 3.7 was top 5%, so i used that as a top X GPA for this spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... _US#gid=26. i also assumed mean GPA was 3.25, our max allowed mean. but if someone has an actual, accurate number, i'm happy to use that instead.

any bidding advice?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yeah, 12% seemed pretty high. someone in a different thread said 3.7 was top 5%, so i used that as a top X GPA for this spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... _US#gid=26. i also assumed mean GPA was 3.25, our max allowed mean. but if someone has an actual, accurate number, i'm happy to use that instead.

any bidding advice?

I would start by doing the legwork yourself to get an initial bid list put together. First, decide if you really want to split between DC and Chicago. They're both allegedly tough markets, but especially DC. Most of the firms there appear to be very grade conscious.

Once you're sure about your markets, think about a practice area. Look up the top firms in that practice area and your region on http://www.chambersandpartners.com/. Compare these firms the the firm GPA list sent out by OCP. I think this data is fairly reliable. Sure, it takes into account some of the best years, but it also takes into account some of the worst years. Hopefully this year we'll be somewhere in between. I would nevertheless be a little conservative.

Once you have a range of reaches (your GPA below their median), targets (your GPA just above their median), and safeties (your GPA well above their median), you can start thinking about bid order. I would put together a spreadsheet with important data points like median Michigan GPA, offer count at Michigan, Vault 100 and specialty ranking, Chambers specialty rankings, last year's summer associate class size, last year's offer rate, and the size of the department in your practice area. This can help narrow down your bid list and inform your bid order.

I have a feeling later this summer, in late July or so, a "Critique my Bid List" thread will spring up where people can anonymously post class rank, school, and bid list and have them critiqued.

Edit: (I would question where this person got the information that 3.7 is the 95th percentile. It's probably 3.75-3.78.)

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 pm

More like top 18-20%, OP.

Return to “Legal Employment”