SA one place then FT another

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MC Southstar

SA one place then FT another

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:38 pm

As in office locations, not different firms. Is it at all possible to SA at one office location (maybe one with more SA positions), and then request full-time at your location of choice?

If it is possible, do firms differ on their stance about this? Is it probable or improbable that such a request would be granted? If you split your summer between two offices, do you get any choice in which you work at permanently or do they just throw you where you are needed?

kurla88

Re: SA one place then FT another

Postby kurla88 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:50 am

I think this depends on the firm but it seems like at most firms hiring is conducted separately for each office, so I would be wary of summering in one office and expecting to get hired another. Summering between two offices of the same firm on the other hand seems like a semi common option but I wouldn't bring it up till you have a SA offer. The best option is always to know what market you want now and focus on it wholeheartedly! Even splitting within a firm you run the risk of not really getting to know people at either office well enough to get offered by one or both.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:00 pm

kurla88 wrote:I think this depends on the firm but it seems like at most firms hiring is conducted separately for each office, so I would be wary of summering in one office and expecting to get hired another. Summering between two offices of the same firm on the other hand seems like a semi common option but I wouldn't bring it up till you have a SA offer. The best option is always to know what market you want now and focus on it wholeheartedly! Even splitting within a firm you run the risk of not really getting to know people at either office well enough to get offered by one or both.

I thought this was the case, but just wanted confirmation. So if you want to request split locations, you usually do so after getting an offer?

Btw, congrats on graduating, I think?

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 pm

MC Southstar wrote:As in office locations, not different firms. Is it at all possible to SA at one office location (maybe one with more SA positions), and then request full-time at your location of choice?

If it is possible, do firms differ on their stance about this? Is it probable or improbable that such a request would be granted? If you split your summer between two offices, do you get any choice in which you work at permanently or do they just throw you where you are needed?

Yes, I know someone who specifically did this. He transferred from the central office (the only one with SAs) to a smaller branch office in another market where he preferred to be. That being said, it wasnt his intention at the outset and they just happened to need someone at the new office; the opportunity was offered to all the SAs for one to take the job and he did. Its dicey to plan on doing this.

Return to “Legal Employment”