UVA Top 1/4 Top 5 Bidlist

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UVA Top 1/4 Top 5 Bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Would I be stupid to have a top 5 of DPW, Cleary, STB, Weil, and Skaaden?

Or should I aim safer?

sayan

Re: UVA Top 1/4 Top 5 Bidlist

Postby sayan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 pm

The entire point of a "top 5" is that they're your reaches. Why would you reach for safety firms?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm

You probably don't want to bid hyperselective reach firms so highly. Most of the class will know that they don't really have a great chance at these V10's or won't be interested in the work they do, and so won't bid on them as reaches. Therefore, you're more likely to get these interviews and you should bid them lower. Obviously this depends on the number of interview slots, but generally your target firms will have a much greater demand for interviews because basically everyone will be bidding on them (either as a reach, target or safety depending on where people are in the class). Those are the ones where you'll have to fight for interview slots.

EDIT: I mean, unless "Top 5 Bidlist" doesn't mean your first 5 bids. In that case, you're probably okay with that number of reach firms.
Last edited by GeePee on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 pm

The entire point of a "top 5" is that they're your reaches

Umm... no.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:00 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:
The entire point of a "top 5" is that they're your reaches

Umm... no.

But, wIth a 50% preselect system it makes sense to bid your reaches high because you're less likely to get a preselect and the places that you are most likely to be a preselect should be lower bids.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 am

A little later in the summer it would be interesting to start a "Critique My Bidlist" thread. People could post anon with their tier and class rank (and their OCI structure I guess, I didn't know about this preselect stuff).

Return to “Legal Employment”