PI and Salary

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trey

PI and Salary

Postby trey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:12 am

Does anyone have an idea what one would make approximately working at a PI organization in NYC starting? 10 years down the road?

schooner

Re: PI and Salary

Postby schooner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:03 pm

schooner wrote:
trey wrote:Does anyone have an idea what one would make approximately working at a PI organization in NYC starting? 10 years down the road?

The tax form 990 is a good source of salary info for a PI nonprofit's top staffers. (Nonprofits have to disclose how much they pay their highly paid employees.) You can find them at guidestar.org.

I've seen the very top people and those right below them at nonprofits make 90K+ and up to 200K+, although that is in DC. Federal government salaries for highly qualified people can also go up to ~150-200K.

Actually federal government salaries can't go that high unless it's a presidentially appointed position. Those on the GS scale, even though the gs scale surpasses it, cannot make more then the lowest paid person in congress which comes out to around 175k. Keep in mind you aren't likely to make over 150ish for the federal government unless you get a 15 and stay for 8 or so years after or are a 14 for twenty odd years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
schooner wrote:
trey wrote:Does anyone have an idea what one would make approximately working at a PI organization in NYC starting? 10 years down the road?

The tax form 990 is a good source of salary info for a PI nonprofit's top staffers. (Nonprofits have to disclose how much they pay their highly paid employees.) You can find them at guidestar.org.

I've seen the very top people and those right below them at nonprofits make 90K+ and up to 200K+, although that is in DC. Federal government salaries for highly qualified people can also go up to ~150-200K.

Actually federal government salaries can't go that high unless it's a presidentially appointed position. Those on the GS scale, even though the gs scale surpasses it, cannot make more then the lowest paid person in congress which comes out to around 175k. Keep in mind you aren't likely to make over 150ish for the federal government unless you get a 15 and stay for 8 or so years after or are a 14 for twenty odd years.

Yeah, government salaries can go that high. Lots of people at the SEC make $200,000 and upwards.

schooner

Postby schooner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Sorry, to clarify, those on the GS pay scale can't make more than the lowest member of congress which is currently 174k. Most government jobs are on the gs pay scale, but not all. And most non gs employees are SES which is technically presidential appointed positions. But a few places, like the SEC, have some employees on their own payscale.

schooner

Postby schooner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Last edited by schooner on Sun May 03, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:05 pm

schooner wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Sorry, to clarify, those on the GS pay scale can't make more than the lowest member of congress which is currently 174k. Most government jobs are on the gs pay scale, but not all. And most non gs employees are SES which is technically presidential appointed positions. But a few places, like the SEC, have some employees on their own payscale.

There's no disagreement here :) I seem to be focused on the floor amount of "top" federal salaries, while you're giving info on the ceiling amounts.

I'm saying the floor amounts are still pretty good, if not great. Unless you're in an unusually terrible financial situation, 110K-180K a year (while serving the public good) is still a lot of money. People who complain about making "only" that much, esp. compared to hedge fund millionaires, are irritating. (cough: doctors)

O ya, I feel you ;). I always say the government puts you in the middle class and tries it's hardest to keep you there. I'm a federal employee now and while I'm happy to be making more currently than most of my peers, looking long term I know I want to have that opportunity to make more in the private sector.

Return to “Legal Employment”