Is this considered a "job offer"? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is this considered a "job offer"?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 am

0L here and I have been working for a small-mid firm for close to a year. Since I'll be leaving for law school, during my "exit interview" I recently received what I perceived as an informal "job offer" from a person high up at a firm. Said person told me that after I graduate law school, that I should "come work for [them]". I don't know if it was just a formality or some sort of conversation piece, but I took it at face value. How should this be taken? Maybe I'm just overanalyzing things and this is some kind of business savvy language that is the norm, but I'd like to know some of your opinions. Thank you.

thegrayman

Silver

Re: Is this considered a "job offer"?

Post by thegrayman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:05 am

I would want something in writing before I would consider stopping my job search. Do you have a delicate way to ask for a little more clarity on what is meant by that?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:11 am

Yeesh. Could be small talk or could just be something to say. You do not have a "job offer" but you should keep in touch with this person, like check in with them after christmas. Don't call them up and tell them "you made me a promise"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:13 am

thegrayman wrote:I would want something in writing before I would consider stopping my job search. Do you have a delicate way to ask for a little more clarity on what is meant by that?
OP here. I could definitely ask, but I don't know how I would be able to bring it up in a way that doesn't come off as desperate/awkward/pestering. By no means would I stop my job search even if I got some sort of confirmation, especially since this is just a non-confirmed verbal invitation. More than relying on this as job safety, I was just genuinely curious as to what it might have been meant and if others had similar experiences. Thanks for your input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 am

MrAnon wrote:Yeesh. Could be small talk or could just be something to say. You do not have a "job offer" but you should keep in touch with this person, like check in with them after christmas. Don't call them up and tell them "you made me a promise"
Definitely. I just don't know why someone would just say "How about you come work for us after graduation" and not really mean it. It wasn't said in a joking manner though, but seemed pretty sincere and earnest. Thanks for the pointers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:41 am

You worked there for a year, right? So, likely your landing a job offer from them once you graduate wouldn't be totally far-fetched.

I guess the remark this person made could go either way depending on things such as, how it was said, your relationship with this person, and context, but it's certainly a positive remark. Keeping in touch with this person while you are a 1L seems like it would be a good idea.

bigtttymer

New

Post by bigtttymer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:08 am

get it in writing so the partner can't argue statute of frauds when you sue him for breach of k

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:12 am

1) That doesn't sound like a real offer
2) Even if it was, it's only good until it's not.

I doubt you can come back in 36 months with a 2.5 from a TTT and expect a job there.

I'd ask if you could work their as an SA next summer.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:00 am

1) That doesn't sound like a real offer
2) Even if it was, it's only good until it's not.

I doubt you can come back in 36 months with a 2.5 from a TTT and expect a job there.

I'd ask if you could work their as an SA next summer.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:08 am

I have recieved many "come work for me after law school" requests from lawyers I have as clients in my professional life now. I am not sure how many of them are serious but it is definitely nice to have options. I always took their offers as a lets "keep in touch" and see what happens after you graduate sort of offer. Nothing can be official at this stage because they have no idea how you will do in law school and if you will want to work for them afterwards. Additionally, alot can change at their firm between now and the time you graduate and there is no guarantee they will even be hiring when you need a job.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:21 am

Osi Umenyiora?? Is that you in there? http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=6667679

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:51 am

If you were working for free or for minimum wage, then it may be a job offer; however, if you expect fair & reasonable compensation for your work as a licensed attorney, then you'll probably have to go through the job interview process just like everyone else.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 am

Most likely not a real job offer. Stay in touch with the partner and try to keep him up to date on your progress throughout law school. Impossible for him to say that they will need a brand new associate in 3 years. Remember law firms are businesses and need to have client work in the door to actually need to hire you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 am

Is "come work for me" a manifestation of a willingness to enter into a bargain so made as to justify you in thinking that your assent will conclude the bargain? I hate studying for the bar.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:38 am

Not much of an offer in an "at-will" employment jurisdiction.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am

Twist: The partner is Bob Dell.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 am

I'm pretty sure you would have a valid §90 claim.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”