Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tamlyric

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby tamlyric » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
yung wrote:should we send thank you letter after first round (screener) interviews?

Yes

Would a thank-you email be more or less appropriate than a thank-you card?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 pm

tamlyric wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
yung wrote:should we send thank you letter after first round (screener) interviews?

Yes

Thank you emails are fine by me. Quick and also easy to save in the electronic file or forward to the whole team.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:41 pm

lawfirmrecruiter, do you answer private messages? I sent you one a few days ago but it occurred to me recently that you might not answer them as a general rule. I hope I don't sound like I'm being pushy- I totally understand that you don't have time to answer every question you're asked on here and I don't think I'm alone in saying that I appreciate the time you've already contributed to helping all of us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I have a little typo in an email I wrote to the firm's recruiter (HR person) when answering a question they were asking about the upcoming callback. Is that going to be a big deal? It was a two line email and I typed an extra letter in a word.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Typed an extra "the" on a thank you email after CB -- still got an offer. It's probably not a great thing to do, but it clearly wasn't fatal.

Lawyerhead

Postby Lawyerhead » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a little typo in an email I wrote to the firm's recruiter (HR person) when answering a question they were asking about the upcoming callback. Is that going to be a big deal? It was a two line email and I typed an extra letter in a word.

Doubtful.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a little typo in an email I wrote to the firm's recruiter (HR person) when answering a question they were asking about the upcoming callback. Is that going to be a big deal? It was a two line email and I typed an extra letter in a word.

Shouldn't be a big deal. Just be careful going forward

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 am

Heartford wrote:lawfirmrecruiter, do you answer private messages? I sent you one a few days ago but it occurred to me recently that you might not answer them as a general rule. I hope I don't sound like I'm being pushy- I totally understand that you don't have time to answer every question you're asked on here and I don't think I'm alone in saying that I appreciate the time you've already contributed to helping all of us.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy couple of weeks. Check your messages.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Yes

Every panelist at my school's OCI orientation, including V10 recruiters, said absolutely not. They said the letter can't help you and if there are spelling errors in it, it will hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Yes

Every panelist at my school's OCI orientation, including V10 recruiters, said absolutely not. They said the letter can't help you and if there are spelling errors in it, it will hurt you.

Oh, since it was a V10 recruiter, then it must be true. If it was a V20 recruiter, I would have my doubts.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Yes

Great example of how different firms and markets are. Most of us in my market view any and all thank you's as good manners and they are appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this was already asked earlier ITT, but how quickly would you say your firm gives callbacks, and do the credentials of a particular student impact how much time passes between a screening interview & a callback? I know callback time can vary a lot between firms, but I was wondering if students with less-than-stellar credentials (median grades, no significant/impressive WE, no LR, etc.) would need to wait longer for callbacks than honors/LR people because the hiring partner or committee may not be as quick to sign off on their candidacy.

Hate to give this answer but it depends on the firm's process and these vary greatly. Some firms give rolling offers and will contact LR students first. Others wait all the way until the end of all interviews to consider all applicants at one time.

Thank you! I figured firms vary in their approach to the process, but wanted to see if there was a prevailing mindset among firms to contact LR people first. (I am the anon poster who asked the question, btw.)

Still wondering about your view on this? thanks!

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:51 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Heartford wrote:lawfirmrecruiter, do you answer private messages? I sent you one a few days ago but it occurred to me recently that you might not answer them as a general rule. I hope I don't sound like I'm being pushy- I totally understand that you don't have time to answer every question you're asked on here and I don't think I'm alone in saying that I appreciate the time you've already contributed to helping all of us.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy couple of weeks. Check your messages.

Got it! Thanks for your reply!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this was already asked earlier ITT, but how quickly would you say your firm gives callbacks, and do the credentials of a particular student impact how much time passes between a screening interview & a callback? I know callback time can vary a lot between firms, but I was wondering if students with less-than-stellar credentials (median grades, no significant/impressive WE, no LR, etc.) would need to wait longer for callbacks than honors/LR people because the hiring partner or committee may not be as quick to sign off on their candidacy.

Hate to give this answer but it depends on the firm's process and these vary greatly. Some firms give rolling offers and will contact LR students first. Others wait all the way until the end of all interviews to consider all applicants at one time.

Thank you! I figured firms vary in their approach to the process, but wanted to see if there was a prevailing mindset among firms to contact LR people first. (I am the anon poster who asked the question, btw.)

Still wondering about your view on this? thanks!

While there might be cases that LR is contacted first, I don't think that would be the only driving factor for a quick call back.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 pm

tamlyric wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Yes

Interesting. My CSO was very clear not to send thank-yous for screeners (only callbacks), which I thought made a lot of sense (given sheer volume)... kind of curious if others find that CSOs generally recommend this or if recruiters in general expect screener thank you notes (I got the impression based on the CSO recommendation they don't).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:15 pm

I have an OCI screening interview next week that I received through the lottery process (my school allows firms to select most of their schedule, but reserves some slots for the lottery)---I gave this firm my #1 bid because my GPA falls outside of their range, but I was wondering if I should acknowledge this at all in the interview. I feel like being the lottery slot is like the elephant in the room-- I know that he knows, and we all know, that the firm didn't actually choose to interview me, they kind of had to---this is a firm I would LOVE to get a CB from and I figure since I was fighting an uphill battle anyways it might be better to bring up the subject of their GPA range and use it as a platform to draw attention to my other qualifications. Is this a bad idea?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an OCI screening interview next week that I received through the lottery process (my school allows firms to select most of their schedule, but reserves some slots for the lottery)---I gave this firm my #1 bid because my GPA falls outside of their range, but I was wondering if I should acknowledge this at all in the interview. I feel like being the lottery slot is like the elephant in the room-- I know that he knows, and we all know, that the firm didn't actually choose to interview me, they kind of had to---this is a firm I would LOVE to get a CB from and I figure since I was fighting an uphill battle anyways it might be better to bring up the subject of their GPA range and use it as a platform to draw attention to my other qualifications. Is this a bad idea?

I would not bring it up because you ave a very limited time to sell yourself. You don't want to bring a negative into the room. Instead, use the time to discuss all of the reasons you would be a great addition and how interested you are in the firm.

jennjd

Postby jennjd » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Any advice on how to stand out during a call back interview? In a good way obviously....
Also, how many callbacks are typically made for each SA position?

Thanks so much for doing this!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:04 pm

When a firm asks what dates you're available for a callback, is there anything wrong with requesting specific times on the dates you are available? In one of the callbacks I received, I told the interviewer the dates I was available and then said that certain times during those days would be better for me so that I wouldn't miss class. However, I also noted that I would be glad to come in at any time that was best for the firm even if it wasn't on the dates I listed and even if it required me to miss class. For future reference, is this okay, or should I just leave the time requests out?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:42 pm

jennjd wrote:Any advice on how to stand out during a call back interview? In a good way obviously....
Also, how many callbacks are typically made for each SA position?

Thanks so much for doing this!

The most successful callbacks I have seen are ones where a good connection is made and it moves from just Q&A to a real conversation. Typically we would bring in 3-5 candidates per slot.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When a firm asks what dates you're available for a callback, is there anything wrong with requesting specific times on the dates you are available? In one of the callbacks I received, I told the interviewer the dates I was available and then said that certain times during those days would be better for me so that I wouldn't miss class. However, I also noted that I would be glad to come in at any time that was best for the firm even if it wasn't on the dates I listed and even if it required me to miss class. For future reference, is this okay, or should I just leave the time requests out?

I think that is fine. The only trouble you could stir up for yourself really would be if you were completely inflexible and demanding about the times you are available. When scheduling callbacks, we understand that students are in school and have lots going on too. Telling us when you are available can actually help make the scheduling easier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm

CALLBACKS

I had a callback with my top choice a week ago. I was rejected today via a letter in the mail. I really thought there were good vibes during the interview, lunch & dinner. What are some of the more common reasons an offer is not extended after a callback?

PS - I'm bummed...

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CALLBACKS

I had a callback with my top choice a week ago. I was rejected today via a letter in the mail. I really thought there were good vibes during the interview, lunch & dinner. What are some of the more common reasons an offer is not extended after a callback?

PS - I'm bummed...

Unfortunately it sounds like you fell short because of numbers, if I had to guess. At the end of the day, firms have a set target for the number of students to take. Since you had a good interview, lunch and dinner, sounds like that is what happened. You should call the recruiter and ask how you can improve and what you can do differently. Speaking for myself, I don't mind talking to people I have interviewed at all. Hang in there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:45 pm

I took part of a early Job fair and some firms wait to go to participating schools' OCI to weigh whether to bring some people back or not. If I have not heard from the firm, do you suggest following-up and expressing an interest with the firm?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I took part of a early Job fair and some firms wait to go to participating schools' OCI to weigh whether to bring some people back or not. If I have not heard from the firm, do you suggest following-up and expressing an interest with the firm?

I would just send a quick follow up expressing your continued interest.

Return to “Legal Employment”