Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got offered an (unpaid) fall internship with the U.S. Attorney's Office. It would take around 15-20 hours a week, and I'm not sure I want to load up like that on my already limited time.

Is that something that is a decent resume boost, or is it nothing special, really?

Edit - or anyone else who might know, please feel free to chime in.

It would definitely be a boost, especially if you are interested in litigation.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Law firm recruiter, I have very good grades and two CBs coming up next week. I'm also quite social and had almost all personal conversations with my OCI interviewers. If this begins to happen at the CB would you recommend that I just go with it or keep trying to find ways to highlight my achievements? Thank you for doing this thread!

It'sgoodthatthe interviewers feel comfortable with you but you should try to redirect your answers back to your experience.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, I was hoping to get our perspective on something. I did a callback with a firm in a secondary market where I live, and they made me an offer a few hours after the interview. They obviously liked me if they were willing to make me an offer so soon. But then I heard that NALP guidelines dictate that they only need to keep the offer open for 28 days. So does the whole situation sound shady to you (i.e that they made me this offer just to force me into making a decision before I complete my callbacks with other firms that hire on a more traditional schedule)? I was excited about the offer, and certainly liked the firm, but I am a bit uncomfortable with making a decision before I can unbiasedly consider and compare all options available. Just wondering what "vibe" you get from this scenario.

I would not call this "shady" at all. Just the way the system works. The firm is probably trying to get you to commit earlier so they have a better shot at getting you to join them. This is a great example of why OCI is moving ealier and earlier.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I've been interviewing for the past two weeks in my home markets (markets which my school has limited access to, but they know my school).

Almost every one has been a callback, and they've all told me that because OCI hasn't started yet for the most part, I won't be hearing for at least two weeks. Is there a disadvantage to interviewing so early? Thanks!

Not at all but I would try to follow p regularly with those that you met with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:09 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, I was hoping to get our perspective on something. I did a callback with a firm in a secondary market where I live, and they made me an offer a few hours after the interview. They obviously liked me if they were willing to make me an offer so soon. But then I heard that NALP guidelines dictate that they only need to keep the offer open for 28 days. So does the whole situation sound shady to you (i.e that they made me this offer just to force me into making a decision before I complete my callbacks with other firms that hire on a more traditional schedule)? I was excited about the offer, and certainly liked the firm, but I am a bit uncomfortable with making a decision before I can unbiasedly consider and compare all options available. Just wondering what "vibe" you get from this scenario.

I would not call this "shady" at all. Just the way the system works. The firm is probably trying to get you to commit earlier so they have a better shot at getting you to join them. This is a great example of why OCI is moving ealier and earlier.

If your firm were to make an offer now, how would you feel if, after 28 days, the student responded saying "I haven't been through all my callbacks yet, and want to wait until I can fully consider all options before making any commitment". Would your firm consider allowing the student to go beyond the deadline? Or is the 28 day threshold something that they hold firm to? I ask because I will very likely still be in the thick of callbacks when the "deadline" for this offer hits and I don't plan on deciding until I have all options on the table.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:11 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:To echo everyone else here, thanks for taking the time to do this, it's much appreciated.

My question has to do with the gap between OCI and callbacks. How long does it generally take for a firm to extend all of their call back offers? In other words, I guess what I'm asking is how long after an interview should we start to get worried if we haven't gotten a call?

Sorry if the question has already been asked, I tried to search through the different pages and couldn't find anything but totally possible I missed something

This completely depends on how they run their program. Some firms give rolling offers, others wait until they have interviewed everyone. If you are worried, call the recruiter and ask about their timeframe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:16 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I've been interviewing for the past two weeks in my home markets (markets which my school has limited access to, but they know my school).

Almost every one has been a callback, and they've all told me that because OCI hasn't started yet for the most part, I won't be hearing for at least two weeks. Is there a disadvantage to interviewing so early? Thanks!

When you say "follow up" do you mean even if I don't have updates? I can't imagine that there's anything of particular significance that these people would be interested in. Should I send them thank-you emails or what? sorry for being an idiot about all of this.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

When you say "follow up" do you mean even if I don't have updates? I can't imagine that there's anything of particular significance that these people would be interested in. Should I send them thank-you emails or what? sorry for being an idiot about all of this.

Yes. Send thank you emails after your interviews. Then, if you have not heard back in 2 or 3 weeks, just send another that expresses your continued interest, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Hey LFR, I am a Tennessee or Vanderbilt student, and I have a callback interview coming up with a Nashvile firm. I'm not from the city, but I would love to work there. Do you have any advice? Thanks a lot.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey LFR, I am a Tennessee or Vanderbilt student, and I have a callback interview coming up with a Nashvile firm. I'm not from the city, but I would love to work there. Do you have any advice? Thanks a lot.

Happy to help. Focus on your reasons for wanting to live and practice in Nashville. Healthcare industry? Automotive industry? Music industry? PM with more details and I'll be happy to give more specific advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Okay, I got a call from my top choice in the secondary market from which I am from. The number looked like a friend's number so I picked it up even though I was in a checkout line (thinking I would tell him I'd call him back). When the caller identified themselves as being from Firm X and that he was looking to schedule an interview, I got really nervous (and obviously so). I was stumbling over my words and trying to go through the checkout line without it seeming like I was doing two things at once. Anyhow, it was a very awkward conversation. So, how badly can one of these awkward phone conversations hurt an applicant? Is this something I should be worried about?

Thank you!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, I got a call from my top choice in the secondary market from which I am from. The number looked like a friend's number so I picked it up even though I was in a checkout line (thinking I would tell him I'd call him back). When the caller identified themselves as being from Firm X and that he was looking to schedule an interview, I got really nervous (and obviously so). I was stumbling over my words and trying to go through the checkout line without it seeming like I was doing two things at once. Anyhow, it was a very awkward conversation. So, how badly can one of these awkward phone conversations hurt an applicant? Is this something I should be worried about?

Thank you!

No worries at all. We know we catch candidates off guard sometimes and that you were doing something else. This should not hurt you at all. Congratulations on the callback!

barry

Postby barry » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 pm

In terms of thank you emails to interviewers, should they be short and sweet like " I just wanted to thank you for meeting with me" or should there be more? Also, if the recruiter told you that don't expect to hear until the end of august when would be an acceptable time to follow up?

edit: does your thank you note advice apply to NYC, i've heard alot of warning against thank you notes that's why i'm asking

Thanks so much for helping us out
Last edited by barry on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Earlier in this thread, you said you looked at all social media websites to screen applicants. What kind of behavior would you consider a red flag?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Question -- I had a call back today at a firm at the same time as a peer of mine. He got an offer later this afternoon, and I havent heard. Does this mean I have no shot?

cjw55

Postby cjw55 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:03 am

LFR -- to echo what everyone else has already said, thanks for taking some time to answer questions and provide advice.

EIW is coming up next week at my school, and I'm struggling a bit to come up with appropriate questions for the interviewer. Many of the firms I'll be interviewing with already have extensive info on their websites about how SAs are assigned work, what kind of training they receive, and similar info for junior associates. Asking questions with answers readily available on the firm website is, I've been told repeatedly, a no-no.

Would it be kosher or overly pushy if I asked the interviewer a question such as "I noticed from your bio on the firm's website that you participated in XYZ deal/case. Can you tell me how junior associates were staffed or assigned on this deal/case?"

Ok, or overly aggressive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:12 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:ention?

Depends on your qualifications.

So if the candidate has a gpa that is lower than the firm's standard but got an interview through connection and had an amazing interview the candidate still wouldn't be in contention?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:14 am

same poster as the last post, I apologize for not knowing how to use the quotes function correctly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 am

Im a 3l going in for an interview soon. The firm emailed me and told me to stop by their office for a 1hr interview. Is that a "callback" interview or 1st round interview?

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question -- I had a call back today at a firm at the same time as a peer of mine. He got an offer later this afternoon, and I havent heard. Does this mean I have no shot?

+1???

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:35 pm

What is the average length of a well executed cover letter? How long is too long? How short is too short?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Here's a question. I have not-so-great grades, but an extremely impressive and compelling resume, which means I also interview very well. So much so that I've greatly outperformed my GPA and have offers/callbacks going into OCI.

Grades have not come up in any of my interviews; in fact, most interviewers haven't had transcripts handy throughout. That said, I'm kind of stuck in the V20-V50 range, and I was wondering if, for the super-selective firms, I should just address the issue up front and own it--as opposed to leaving a good impression in the interview room before leaving them to mull over a crappy transcript.

I've surveyed lawyers, OCS, and others, and results have been all over the place. Would like to hear your perspective as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Question I think you may have missed a few pages back.

how do firms view you if you were top 10%, but dropped to top 25% due to summer classes?
grades just came out, and although they are not bad, they dropped my overall GPA outside of top 10%.
However, I am told by the CSO that I am still supposed to put top 10% on my resume (w/ the honors), but I am supposed to update the new GPA in my transcript.
I understand the GPA has dropped, but it would be inaccurate to relate the new GPA to the "old" class grade approximation.
How will firms view this new GPA?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Sorry if this was already asked earlier ITT, but how quickly would you say your firm gives callbacks, and do the credentials of a particular student impact how much time passes between a screening interview & a callback? I know callback time can vary a lot between firms, but I was wondering if students with less-than-stellar credentials (median grades, no significant/impressive WE, no LR, etc.) would need to wait longer for callbacks than honors/LR people because the hiring partner or committee may not be as quick to sign off on their candidacy.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:14 pm

barry wrote:In terms of thank you emails to interviewers, should they be short and sweet like " I just wanted to thank you for meeting with me" or should there be more? Also, if the recruiter told you that don't expect to hear until the end of august when would be an acceptable time to follow up?

edit: does your thank you note advice apply to NYC, i've heard alot of warning against thank you notes that's why i'm asking

Thanks so much for helping us out

Well, we are in the South so a nice thank you is always appropriate and appreciated. It does not need to be long. Just 3-4 sentences.

Return to “Legal Employment”