Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(1) If I was no-offered from my SA firm, how should I approach the inevitable interview question? Firms always ask about the no-offer and I can see doubt in their eyes when I try to explain that it was based on the economy.

(2) I am doing a 7th Circuit clerkship, and I will be finished in Fall 2012. When should I apply to firms? This summer? This fall? In spring?

(3) Is it a problem if the school I went to isn't one you normally hire from?


1. Just be honest. If they don't believe you, there is nothing else you can do short of having a recommendation letter from your SA firm.
2. Start sending out applications in January
3. Nope. Not for us.


Regarding #2, is there a pretty low chance I'd get any calls if I sent out applications in September or October? I ask because I'm pretty certain I'll need to go out of state to land a solid job and I want to know what bar exam to sign up for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 pm

So there is a lot of negative talk about "K-JD" students (as they are so lovingly referred to). I am what you would consider a K-JD (though I did take ~8 months between UG and Law school). However, I have worked full time at what I would consider "real jobs" ever since I was a sophomore in college. I was still able to do really well in college and I am now at a T-20 school. How does this affect interviews, hiring etc? Will it give me any boost or will interviewers/hiring partners just assume my work experience is meaningless college work and not give me any credit for it because I am a K-JD and didnt work for years after college and thus could not possibly have any real experience? It really annoys me when people talk about how they have "real work experience" because they worked for a few years after college but didn't do ANYTHING during school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:37 pm

How big of a blunder is a Ms./Mr. mistake in an email? I got it right in my initial email and in the cover letter, but I botched the follow-up email. (She has the same name as another recruiter at another firm, who is a guy.) Auto-ding territory, or maybe something they'll forgive?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:41 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before (hard to keep up with this thread), but do you have any general advice for interview prep? I am finding that as a 2L, every firm website looks the same after a while (we emphasize client service, we're a nationally recognized firm, we are excellent at everything, etc). It is really hard to get a read for what makes a particular firm special, especially when it comes to things like work culture and firm strengths, especially for firms in smaller markets. I've been trying to meet with people from firms I'm interviewing with, but this won't be possible with all of them.

Anything else I should be doing?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before (hard to keep up with this thread), but do you have any general advice for interview prep? I am finding that as a 2L, every firm website looks the same after a while (we emphasize client service, we're a nationally recognized firm, we are excellent at everything, etc). It is really hard to get a read for what makes a particular firm special, especially when it comes to things like work culture and firm strengths, especially for firms in smaller markets. I've been trying to meet with people from firms I'm interviewing with, but this won't be possible with all of them.

Anything else I should be doing?



I would check this thread -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157633

And use Chambers and Vault to find some facts or programs that are unique to that firm.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before (hard to keep up with this thread), but do you have any general advice for interview prep? I am finding that as a 2L, every firm website looks the same after a while (we emphasize client service, we're a nationally recognized firm, we are excellent at everything, etc). It is really hard to get a read for what makes a particular firm special, especially when it comes to things like work culture and firm strengths, especially for firms in smaller markets. I've been trying to meet with people from firms I'm interviewing with, but this won't be possible with all of them.

Anything else I should be doing?



I would check this thread -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157633

And use Chambers and Vault to find some facts or programs that are unique to that firm.

That was me who asked that question (didn't mean to anon post). I have used Vault's Guide to Midwest Firms to some degree, but the info is very bland and general (seriously, every firm looks for a mixture of "solid grades, campus involvement, and good personal skills?" No shit???)

The problem is that I am not looking in NYC, LA, DC, and I am not getting much love in Chicago. The thread you linked for me is good and I've seen it before, but it is far more helpful to people looking at the big firms that everyone knows about. I'm not interviewing with Sullcrom, K&E, Deveboise, etc. I guess I am more focused on "biglaw" firms in mid-sized markets (what most people on TLS would call midlaw), and the information on firms like these is somewhat sparse.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before (hard to keep up with this thread), but do you have any general advice for interview prep? I am finding that as a 2L, every firm website looks the same after a while (we emphasize client service, we're a nationally recognized firm, we are excellent at everything, etc). It is really hard to get a read for what makes a particular firm special, especially when it comes to things like work culture and firm strengths, especially for firms in smaller markets. I've been trying to meet with people from firms I'm interviewing with, but this won't be possible with all of them.

Anything else I should be doing?



I would check this thread -

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=157633

And use Chambers and Vault to find some facts or programs that are unique to that firm.

That was me who asked that question (didn't mean to anon post). I have used Vault's Guide to Midwest Firms to some degree, but the info is very bland and general (seriously, every firm looks for a mixture of "solid grades, campus involvement, and good personal skills?" No shit???)

The problem is that I am not looking in NYC, LA, DC, and I am not getting much love in Chicago. The thread you linked for me is good and I've seen it before, but it is far more helpful to people looking at the big firms that everyone knows about. I'm not interviewing with Sullcrom, K&E, Deveboise, etc. I guess I am more focused on "biglaw" firms in mid-sized markets (what most people on TLS would call midlaw), and the information on firms like these is somewhat sparse.
I'm going to email you about this when i get home bro, I did a bunch if screeners through the patent fair and I've got some thoughts on what works and doesn't based on results and what I noticed in interviews.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:21 pm

stratocophic wrote:I'm going to email you about this when i get home bro, I did a bunch if screeners through the patent fair and I've got some thoughts on what works and doesn't based on results and what I noticed in interviews.

<3 you

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I'm going to email you about this when i get home bro, I did a bunch if screeners through the patent fair and I've got some thoughts on what works and doesn't based on results and what I noticed in interviews.

<3 you
:oops: oh you

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So there is a lot of negative talk about "K-JD" students (as they are so lovingly referred to). I am what you would consider a K-JD (though I did take ~8 months between UG and Law school). However, I have worked full time at what I would consider "real jobs" ever since I was a sophomore in college. I was still able to do really well in college and I am now at a T-20 school. How does this affect interviews, hiring etc? Will it give me any boost or will interviewers/hiring partners just assume my work experience is meaningless college work and not give me any credit for it because I am a K-JD and didnt work for years after college and thus could not possibly have any real experience? It really annoys me when people talk about how they have "real work experience" because they worked for a few years after college but didn't do ANYTHING during school.


I think it will give you a boost. You have "real work" while balancing school which is difficult and shows you have a solid work ethic.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How big of a blunder is a Ms./Mr. mistake in an email? I got it right in my initial email and in the cover letter, but I botched the follow-up email. (She has the same name as another recruiter at another firm, who is a guy.) Auto-ding territory, or maybe something they'll forgive?


This is not terrible. Just be careful moving forward.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before (hard to keep up with this thread), but do you have any general advice for interview prep? I am finding that as a 2L, every firm website looks the same after a while (we emphasize client service, we're a nationally recognized firm, we are excellent at everything, etc). It is really hard to get a read for what makes a particular firm special, especially when it comes to things like work culture and firm strengths, especially for firms in smaller markets. I've been trying to meet with people from firms I'm interviewing with, but this won't be possible with all of them.

Anything else I should be doing?



I would check this thread -

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=157633

And use Chambers and Vault to find some facts or programs that are unique to that firm.

That was me who asked that question (didn't mean to anon post). I have used Vault's Guide to Midwest Firms to some degree, but the info is very bland and general (seriously, every firm looks for a mixture of "solid grades, campus involvement, and good personal skills?" No shit???)

The problem is that I am not looking in NYC, LA, DC, and I am not getting much love in Chicago. The thread you linked for me is good and I've seen it before, but it is far more helpful to people looking at the big firms that everyone knows about. I'm not interviewing with Sullcrom, K&E, Deveboise, etc. I guess I am more focused on "biglaw" firms in mid-sized markets (what most people on TLS would call midlaw), and the information on firms like these is somewhat sparse.


In addition to Chambers and Vault, you can search firms on Martindale. If you are looking at litigation firms/practices, I would suggest doing a Lexis or WestLaw search for the firm to see what kind of cases they have had and what clients they have represented. This would also be an EXCELLENT talking point for an interview. If you are looking for transactional work, it is harder to find this info. You can try EDGAR but that is limited.

Another source would be the local papers. Do an online search for XYZ firm and see what headlines and stories pop up.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:27 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:Another source would be the local papers. Do an online search for XYZ firm and see what headlines and stories pop up.

Good advice, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

User avatar
coreno16
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby coreno16 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:59 pm

You've covered w/e a lot, but any thoughts specifically on someone who did a summer analyst position in a private equity firm the summer after undergrad and before law school?

Thanks for doing this thread.

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Miller32 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

Sorry if this question has been asked, but how much of a boost is LR on a resume? Obviously grades are most important. Does LR even really matter other than it means you probably have strong grades in the first place?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Miller32 wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked, but how much of a boost is LR on a resume? Obviously grades are most important. Does LR even really matter other than it means you probably have strong grades in the first place?

I asked a recruiter this question, and she said that while they prefer seeing a journal, there isn't a big "LR boost" over non-journals. But this seems to directly conflict with my experience (and my similarly situated friends). My friends in the top 15-25% (including myself) who are on Law Review are getting more interviews than similarly ranked people without it. We got selects at some firms who I didn't think would interview us without law review (including the firm that the aforementioned recruiter works at), and I think it is safe to say we are outperforming our numbers.

Just one rising 2Ls experience, however, so YMMV.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

This has probably been asked - but how long after mass-mailing is appropriate to follow up with the recruiter via e-mail. When you do follow-up should you re-attach your materials, and just say something like "I just wanted to follow up with you regarding my mailing sent on [ ]. My materials are attached again. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you regarding a summer associate position at your firm."

Thanks!

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Miller32 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Miller32 wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked, but how much of a boost is LR on a resume? Obviously grades are most important. Does LR even really matter other than it means you probably have strong grades in the first place?

I asked a recruiter this question, and she said that while they prefer seeing a journal, there isn't a big "LR boost" over non-journals. But this seems to directly conflict with my experience (and my similarly situated friends). My friends in the top 15-25% (including myself) who are on Law Review are getting more interviews than similarly ranked people without it. We got selects at some firms who I didn't think would interview us without law review (including the firm that the aforementioned recruiter works at), and I think it is safe to say we are outperforming our numbers.

Just one rising 2Ls experience, however, so YMMV.


Thanks. I'm in a similar situation. Top 15% with LR about to go into OCI. Hopefully I have the same experience you've had.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Miller32 wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked, but how much of a boost is LR on a resume? Obviously grades are most important. Does LR even really matter other than it means you probably have strong grades in the first place?


LR is definitely a boost but how much will vary from firm to firm and even group to group.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This has probably been asked - but how long after mass-mailing is appropriate to follow up with the recruiter via e-mail. When you do follow-up should you re-attach your materials, and just say something like "I just wanted to follow up with you regarding my mailing sent on [ ]. My materials are attached again. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you regarding a summer associate position at your firm."

Thanks!


I'd wait about 2 weeks and send an e-mail with your information attached and mention that it is there for their convenience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 pm

If you are an "alternate" at a pre-select school, would you suggest e-mailing either the recruiter at the firm or the interviewer coming on campus, and expressing your eagerness to interview with the firm. Any chance this will help them see you anyway?

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Heartford » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:58 pm

How will the Dow's 512 point plunge today affect hiring for you? For the legal hiring market in general?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Good evening-

If I could, I would like to ask about how I would measure as an applicant for a law firm after I attend law school later this year.

In 2013, I will retire from the military after 20 years of service. It was suppose to be a 4 year tour, then I would leave and become a lawyer. However, I was good at my job and continued with it to now.

After retirement and law school, I will be 51 years old. While talking with some of my JAG associates, I was told I could apply for some legal government and would have a great chance of being accepted, however, I was wondering how would guys like myself fair in private practice, competing against younger applicants?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:56 am

To LFR: Thank you very much for this thread. I know I speak for much of TLS in saying that it has been particularly insightful and greatly appreciated.

My question stems from a very recent situation regarding the results my school's write-on competition for journals. In the initial competition results, it was announced that I made multiple journals, including law review. I accepted a position on law review, but did not receive a confirmation back from the journal. About 48 hours after the initial posting of results, I was informed by the university that they had screwed up the results page and meant to invite another student and not myself. I petitioned law review that due to the mistake and my reliance on it, I should be admitted. This petition was denied.

What happened in the interim between my acceptance e-mail and being informed that there was an error was that I e-mailed a number of the firms I applied for during OCI that I had accepted an offer on law review, including a partner at a major firm that helped me secure an interview at that firm. I will be accepting a position from another journal, but am unsure as to how to handle this situation with the firms I did e-mail.

Would you advise to notify those firms that I did get interviews with (or even those I did not) of the error through an e-mail or at the OCI interview itself? Although this is not in any way my fault regarding the error, I do not want to look bad in the eyes of a potential employer for possibly "jumping the gun" on sending out such an e-mail.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 am

Law firm recruiter, thanks for answering questions.

How do big law firms treat incoming new associates who fail the bar exam? Just took the July bar exam and extremely fear about failing the exam. Will they give you a second chance to try? Or will they fire you or find a way to fire you? Even they give you a second chance to try and you passed the second time, will you be looked down forever (or at least for a long time) in the firm? Thank you!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.