Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:22 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what do firms think when there are small one or two typos on the resume? specifically, I abbreviated the state wrong.

No way around it, this is really bad. My attorneys hone in on typos and this can really tank a resume. It doesn't matter how small it is, your resume is your first (and sometimes only) shot at making an impression. Any typo at all sends the message that you don't pay attention to tiny details - which is at the core of being a lawyer. Hate to be so harsh on this, but your resume must be letter perfect.

Yikes. Not the most pleasant thing to hear. Thanks for answering though.
Does it change at all if I am at the top of my class + LR? Would they weigh my typo less or will they just chuck it out just like any other resume?

japes

Postby japes » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:09 am

How often do you google potential hires?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Have you, or any other law firm you know of, ever interviewed/hired someone from a resume collect?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 pm

japes wrote:How often do you google potential hires?

All the time.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Have you, or any other law firm you know of, ever interviewed/hired someone from a resume collect?

Can't speak for other firms but we have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am

Does playing a Varsity sport in Undergrad give a WE type boost or is it less/different?

japes

Postby japes » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:11 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

All the time.

What are you looking for on these other than obvious red flags?

glitched

Postby glitched » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:18 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

All the time.

do you just google their name? what would you type in? my name is fairly common

Lawyerhead

Postby Lawyerhead » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:54 am

glitched wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

All the time.

Out of all the things to worry about, I don't think this is worth your time. For the record, I've never googled anyone. Not sure what the gain is. I don't exactly have free time to waste on something like that when interview season is already crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:14 am

Does it help much if if I have a semester internship lined up for next fall/spring?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 pm

glitched wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

All the time.

Let me clarify - I google more lateral candidates than students and generally google their name and current employer. For students, it is more a part of the final screening process and generally pretty quick. I don't dig through facebook pages or twitter accounts.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does playing a Varsity sport in Undergrad give a WE type boost or is it less/different?

Varsity sports shows that you are a team player and can work well with others. Always gives a boost.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does it help much if if I have a semester internship lined up for next fall/spring?

Without knowing more details, I can't really say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:02 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does it help much if if I have a semester internship lined up for next fall/spring?

With the DOL, and let's say that I'm stressing to firms that I am interested in their labor and employment practice. However, I do not have any other experience.

Thank you!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

With the DOL, and let's say that I'm stressing to firms that I am interested in their labor and employment practice. However, I do not have any other experience.

Thank you!

I would think this would help a good deal, especially for L&E practices. It will show your serious about that particular area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:27 pm

I just posted a separate topic but realize I probably should have posted my question in here. Do "biglaw" firms offer non-traditional start dates for students that finish school during a semester other than the spring semester?

I'm a student who transferred from the evening division to the day division about midway through, so it looks like I'll be graduating either at the end of the summer session or after the fall semester, which could potentially leave me with a lot of down time before the traditional summer start date.

Thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just posted a separate topic but realize I probably should have posted my question in here. Do "biglaw" firms offer non-traditional start dates for students that finish school during a semester other than the spring semester?

I'm a student who transferred from the evening division to the day division about midway through, so it looks like I'll be graduating either at the end of the summer session or after the fall semester, which could potentially leave me with a lot of down time before the traditional summer start date.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, no. Most BigLaw firms have a set start date for all entry level attorneys because of the prevailing lockstep compensation system; not to mention the issues related to class training and on-boarding a large class of new attorneys. There are, however, probably exceptions to this.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:09 am

When you are reviewing resumes does the type of formatting change your opinion about a candidate?

For instance, I have heard it suggested that modern resume formats get noticed by recruiters more. I have also heard that lawyers (and law recruiters by extension) frown upon non-traditional resume formatting.

What difference, if any, does resume format/design play in your evaluation of an applicant?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a question more about work experience/advanced degrees. You say they give you a "boost," and yet you say you typically only consider people with top 1/3 grades. Does the boost from work experience and a related Master's degree (the kind of experience that had you working for the very clients of Biglaw firms) let you consider people from outside the top 1/3? Or does it only amplify your chances of getting an interview if you are already within the top 1/3?

I ask because I am a median student at a school at the lower end of the T20, but I have a graduate degree and related work experience with Fortune 500 companies. I want to go into the type of law that is directly applicable to my work experience. I don't struggle with the material or anything, and my work ethic is on par with those that finished in the top 5%, but I just haven't been able to "get" law school exams. I am doing everything I can to demonstrate a commitment to the type of law I want to practice: my 1L job is a pretty good one that is mostly relevant, I am taking fall classes in the area, and I am starting a student group related to that area of the law. Do median grades at a very competitive school sink my chances of getting an interview at a firm like yours?

Please be brutally honest. I know anything's possible, and I know I would benefit from networking. But I'm more interested in what's probable.

You are not sunk but you will need to work hard to get an interview. I think your experience can help you but you will need to be able to show how that experience translates to the legal side. I would be happy to look at your resume if you want more specific advice. Just send me a PM.

Thanks...PM sent.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'd really appreciate your input. I sent you a PM last week about where to send my resume. Just a friendly reminder. :)

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:03 am

shoeshine wrote:When you are reviewing resumes does the type of formatting change your opinion about a candidate?

For instance, I have heard it suggested that modern resume formats get noticed by recruiters more. I have also heard that lawyers (and law recruiters by extension) frown upon non-traditional resume formatting.

What difference, if any, does resume format/design play in your evaluation of an applicant?

The type of format does not particularly matter to me (i.e. traditional vs. modern). I just need to be able to quickly find information. Example: Bullets and short phrases are much better than full paragraphs about your extensive experience. Above anything, your resume should be easy and logical to read.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:49 am

Odd question that just launched a debate in my office. Would you find it odd if there was only one space between sentences in a cover letter? It turns out, all the major style guides (and common practice in books, publications, magazines, etc) now call for a single space betweens sentences. Yet, several of the older people in the office had never heard of this and thought the person writing was just an idiot.

(Several interns are now concerned having already e-mailed some out...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am

Writing sample question: would you prefer receiving a longer writing sample (16 pages) and deciding for yourself how much of it to read, or would you prefer I cut the writing sample down to 5-10 pages and only send you that portion of it? I've heard conflicting advice about this.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Writing sample question: would you prefer receiving a longer writing sample (16 pages) and deciding for yourself how much of it to read, or would you prefer I cut the writing sample down to 5-10 pages and only send you that portion of it? I've heard conflicting advice about this.

Not to eclipse the previous question, but on the topic of writing samples, are academic samples appropriate? Would a note or case comment be frowned upon if submitted?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 am

GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Writing sample question: would you prefer receiving a longer writing sample (16 pages) and deciding for yourself how much of it to read, or would you prefer I cut the writing sample down to 5-10 pages and only send you that portion of it? I've heard conflicting advice about this.

Not to eclipse the previous question, but on the topic of writing samples, are academic samples appropriate? Would a note or case comment be frowned upon if submitted?

To add-on, I'm interning for a fed. judge. If I write a decision for the judge and it is published verbatim how I wrote it, 100% my work with no edits, should I mention that when using the sample or should I just let it be?

nymario

Postby nymario » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:37 am

You should not use that as a sample. At all.

Return to “Legal Employment”