Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you so much for starting such a great thread.

Firms usually say how important diversity is to them and they actively look for diverse candidates. However, when you look through these firms, you hardly see any minorities. Are firms just saying they care about diversity without really taking the time to actively look for promising miniority candidates? Does your firm look past the top of a class if the candidate is a minority and can bring a fresh perspective to the table?

Diversity is a tough issue for all firms, especially in the middle market. We will take the time the time to look for promising minority candidates and consider other factors other than class rank.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:When contacting firms that won't be coming to campus for OCI, is it preferred that a student email the recruiter with the resume/cover letter or send an actual hard copy? Is it unfavorable to do both?

Also, what are some of the better questions to ask the interviewer? I know that's a critical part of the interview, but it always seems to me that you run the risk of appearing to not be well-researched (by asking basic questions).

I prefer e-mail but both is fine also.

Questions for interviewer:
Why did you choose to be a lawyer?
What do you like about being a lawyer?
Tell me about your typical day.

Why did you choose to be a lawyer?

I find this question a real challenge in particular. I choose law b/c it pays better(supposly) than my previous job, and gives me the tools to help ppl (if such occasion ever rises). LFR, can you give us some "good" answers you have came across to such questions?

These are questions to ask the people that are interviewing you. If you get this question, the best answer is the honest one. Do you find it intellectually challenging? Did you do well in debate? Do you come from a family of lawyers? I would steer clear fo the "because it pays better" answer, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:28 am

How do you view students coming from a top30 school not in your local market that your firm does not OCI at? Will students who go to local school you OCI at get the edge?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you view students coming from a top30 school not in your local market that your firm does not OCI at? Will students who go to local school you OCI at get the edge?

In the past, students that go to schools that we visited during OCI would have gotten the edge. Now we are recruiting 3Ls outside OCI so it is a free market for all interested regardless of school location.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you view students coming from a top30 school not in your local market that your firm does not OCI at? Will students who go to local school you OCI at get the edge?

In the past, students that go to schools that we visited during OCI would have gotten the edge. Now we are recruiting 3Ls outside OCI so it is a free market for all interested regardless of school location.

Do you any advice for students who your firm does not OCI at but has ties to your local area? Should we email the firm around August? I am assuming you get tons of resumes so what could someone do to ensure they stand out since they would not get that facetime?

Also, what if your firm comes to OCI but not for the locaction the student wants? For example, if you go to school in New York, and your firm comes to OCI for the NY office but you want to be in the LA office. Will the firm still interview you for the LA office?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:These are questions to ask the people that are interviewing you. If you get this question, the best answer is the honest one. Do you find it intellectually challenging? Did you do well in debate? Do you come from a family of lawyers? I would steer clear fo the "because it pays better" answer, though.

What do you think of people who come from a "family of lawyers"? Would it make a difference if the person had a previous career or went straight through? Or does it depend what the other attorneys in your family do?

Also, thanks for the answer about e-mail vs. snail mail because I was very curious about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

As a rising 3L who didn't get a summer firm gig, how does one shake the stigmam of (1)he must've sucked because he couldn't land a firm gig and (2)we will not have a chance to evaluate his work before hiring him.

thank you very much

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

good time to start mass mailing, July 1 or Aug 1?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Do you any advice for students who your firm does not OCI at but has ties to your local area? Should we email the firm around August? I am assuming you get tons of resumes so what could someone do to ensure they stand out since they would not get that facetime?

Also, what if your firm comes to OCI but not for the locaction the student wants? For example, if you go to school in New York, and your firm comes to OCI for the NY office but you want to be in the LA office. Will the firm still interview you for the LA office?

Ties to local area - try to come in and meet with us in person before OCI starts. If you can't get in person, get a telephone interview or video interview/meeting. Continue to network with alumni at the firm.

OCI for other location - probably not. If there is a need for that office, we will interview for that office. Otherwise, no. (just speaking for my firm, of course. Others may be different)

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:48 am

keg411 wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:These are questions to ask the people that are interviewing you. If you get this question, the best answer is the honest one. Do you find it intellectually challenging? Did you do well in debate? Do you come from a family of lawyers? I would steer clear fo the "because it pays better" answer, though.

What do you think of people who come from a "family of lawyers"? Would it make a difference if the person had a previous career or went straight through? Or does it depend what the other attorneys in your family do?

Also, thanks for the answer about e-mail vs. snail mail because I was very curious about that.

Completely depends. Candidates from lawyer families at least understand what they are getting into in terms of career.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

As a rising 3L who didn't get a summer firm gig, how does one shake the stigmam of (1)he must've sucked because he couldn't land a firm gig and (2)we will not have a chance to evaluate his work before hiring him.

thank you very much

First of all, you don't suck because you didn't get a summer job. Those are difficult to get and we all know it.
Second, put together good writing samples and examples of your work product and offer that as part of your application as a 3L. Also, look for 3L apprentice opportunities. They are out there.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

good time to start mass mailing, July 1 or Aug 1?

Start July 1. By August firm recruiting offices are in the weeds with OCI and it is best to beat the crowd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Absolutely abysmal first semester at a T10 law school first semester, likely will make a sizable improvement spring semester although likely not enough to overcome such a terrible first semester. Do firms take into account an upward trend, especially if there's a large disparity between first and second semester, or is it just about cumulative gpa for gpa cutoffs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
TNFSkier16 wrote:Do you have a school ranking cut-off that you won't accept any students from below this threshold?

Generally won't go past top 1/3.

Does this apply to HYS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Is it unwise to ask "difficult" or "hardball" questions in an interview or CB?
Assume interviewee is objectively qualified (good grades, good school) and makes a good interview impression.
I'm thinking questions relating to the health of the firm, its future prospects regarding hiring, revenue generation, etc.

E.G.: "what is your start date for c/o 2011?" "why has it been pushed back?" "have you laid off associates in the past 3 years?" "have you cut salaries/bonuses; do you intend to re-up to market level?" "what happens when [75 year old rainmaking partner] retires?" that sort of thing.

I know lots of these are discoverable on ATL and other places, but I'm thinking boutique or midlaw firms that don't get any press coverage.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it unwise to ask "difficult" or "hardball" questions in an interview or CB?
Assume interviewee is objectively qualified (good grades, good school) and makes a good interview impression.
I'm thinking questions relating to the health of the firm, its future prospects regarding hiring, revenue generation, etc.

E.G.: "what is your start date for c/o 2011?" "why has it been pushed back?" "have you laid off associates in the past 3 years?" "have you cut salaries/bonuses; do you intend to re-up to market level?" "what happens when [75 year old rainmaking partner] retires?" that sort of thing.

I know lots of these are discoverable on ATL and other places, but I'm thinking boutique or midlaw firms that don't get any press coverage.

I wouldn't lead off with those questions, but I don't think they are out of bounds. Actually, it would be refreshing to have a candidate show interest in the overall health of the firm. Shows that they are considering a long term commitment and want to make an informed decision about an employer.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
TNFSkier16 wrote:Do you have a school ranking cut-off that you won't accept any students from below this threshold?

Does this apply to HYS?

Yep

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:37 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Does this apply to HYS?

Yep

Thanks for replying. Stanford doesn't rank, so how do you determine what constitutes top 1/3?

japes

Postby japes » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:49 pm

How would you evaluate someone that went for public interest work early in law school in switched tracks? Say summer employment 2L was PI related and 3L year the student couldn't get a PI gig but was looking for firm work?

Thanks so much.

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Is it true that firms are more willing to look outside their stated grade range for candidates going into I.P. (patent bar eligible)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Are GPA Requirements hard cutoffs or general guidelines? For example, if the requirement says 3.5, will you consider a 3.49?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

When you say "we," do you mean your firm, or many/most firms?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:15 pm

I will be entering a regional school with prior legal work experience(and temp experience in multiple legal settings both corporate counsel, small and large firm).

Does it make a difference to a recruiter when they see that the applicant has worked in the field that they want to enter?

I am confused with the notion of work experience vs grades. It seems like lacking both could hurt.

I am interested in litigation. Most likely products liability.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:27 pm

I have a guess as to the firm you're with and assuming my suspicion is correct, I think I'd really, really like to end up in that market either right out of school or a few years down the road. Any advice on how to sell your ties when you're from the same state but not that particular city? How does your firm view people trying to lateral in from bigger markets like NY, Chicago, and Atlanta?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

When you say "we," do you mean your firm, or many/most firms?

Sorry, "we" in my posts means my firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”