Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Does being Canadian have any real effect on hiring if you're planning on staying in the US?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does being Canadian have any real effect on hiring if you're planning on staying in the US?

Nope

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:26 pm

I posted this in another thread but I'd love to get your thoughts on it, too:

The Facts:

1. Firm is in my target (secondary) market.
2. The firm dropped out of my OCI
3. I interviewed there for a 1L gig (summer) and got dinged.
4. I really liked the firm.
5. I will be in that market in ONE WEEK.
6. They are participating in our resume collect.

The questions:

1. Should I email updated trans/letter/resume to the recruiter and tell them that I'll be in town soon if they would like me to come in?
1a. If yes, HOW should I phrase things?

2. Should I also submit through resume collect?

Anything I'm missing?

meatball122

Postby meatball122 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 pm

How would you view 5 years of Marine Corps intelligence experience with 3 combat deployments: 1 to Iraq and 2 to Afghanistan? Would this help someone less qualified academically get their foot in the door? Any other benefit? Anything negative?

Im still in the application process, but my presumption is that my experience will be more beneficial during OCI and beyond than it will be during law school applications.

Thanks!

nymario

Postby nymario » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:40 pm

That sort of experience will be helpful at EVERY step of the game - LS Admissions, BigLaw, BigGov, you name it...

It'll make up for some deficiencies better than others -- and it is certainly true that some firms have pretty hard GPA cutoffs that no amount of service/work/juggling skills will overcome. So that leads me to believe that it will not be MORE helpful at BigLaw on average than any other stage.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted this in another thread but I'd love to get your thoughts on it, too:

The Facts:

1. Firm is in my target (secondary) market.
2. The firm dropped out of my OCI
3. I interviewed there for a 1L gig (summer) and got dinged.
4. I really liked the firm.
5. I will be in that market in ONE WEEK.
6. They are participating in our resume collect.

The questions:

1. Should I email updated trans/letter/resume to the recruiter and tell them that I'll be in town soon if they would like me to come in?
1a. If yes, HOW should I phrase things?

2. Should I also submit through resume collect?

Anything I'm missing?

1. Yes. I would mention that you had the opportunity to meet them last year and you were impressed with their firm. Then say you will be in town and woul like to schedule another meeting if possible.

2. Yes.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 pm

nymario wrote:That sort of experience will be helpful at EVERY step of the game - LS Admissions, BigLaw, BigGov, you name it...

It'll make up for some deficiencies better than others -- and it is certainly true that some firms have pretty hard GPA cutoffs that no amount of service/work/juggling skills will overcome. So that leads me to believe that it will not be MORE helpful at BigLaw on average than any other stage.

Completely agree with this assessment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Those firms that come to diversity fairs: If you were selected for a preselect, but your grades are below their usual cut off, do you have a shot at the firm? Or not really? I am afraid that this might be a filler interview (or something along those lines).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 pm

How would you feel if you brought in a 1L SA, and at the end of the summer offerered him a spot fo 2L only to hear him say "I appreciate it but I am doing OCI so is this offer something that will stay open?"

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those firms that come to diversity fairs: If you were selected for a preselect, but your grades are below their usual cut off, do you have a shot at the firm? Or not really? I am afraid that this might be a filler interview (or something along those lines).

I can't speak for other firms but all candidates we choose to interview have a shot and are not fillers. Attorney billable time is too valuable to waste on throw away interviews.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would you feel if you brought in a 1L SA, and at the end of the summer offerered him a spot fo 2L only to hear him say "I appreciate it but I am doing OCI so is this offer something that will stay open?"

Probably not the best response in this or any other economy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would you feel if you brought in a 1L SA, and at the end of the summer offerered him a spot fo 2L only to hear him say "I appreciate it but I am doing OCI so is this offer something that will stay open?"

To clarify, are you saying there is no way I can do OCI if I get an offer from my 1L firm for 2L summer (assuming I want to keep the offer open in case I get shutout at OCI)?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

To clarify, are you saying there is no way I can do OCI if I get an offer from my 1L firm for 2L summer (assuming I want to keep the offer open in case I get shutout at OCI)?

Not at all. Just don't directly say it the way you listed above. Say something like "thank you for your offer. I had a great experience here this summer and appreciate the opportunity to work with you next summer. I am still working on my decisions for next summer. When do you need an answer?"

normn3116

Postby normn3116 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:16 pm

First, I echo the sentiments of everyone here in thanking you for doing this. This is as useful as anything I have read here.

Second, if possible, I would like a little advice about my current situation (rising 3L): After talking to my current 2L employer (small firm in suburban Chicago), the consensus seems to be that they would love to have me, but they simply don't know if they will have the funds to...at least they won't know until the spring. 4 of the 12 attorneys have told me that they would be willing to recommend me to a future employer if that employer has any concerns about me.

I am a 3.3 (3.2 is median) at a top 20-30 school...what (if any) might that future employer be? I figure I won't have much of a shot at biglaw, but I just want gainful legal employment that will keep the student loan collectors away. Ideally I would like to be a litigator. 1--is this possible? 2--What advice could you give me? Insight into your firm's apprenticeship program would be incredible as well. If you want more specific information, PM me and I will be happy to oblige.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 pm

normn3116 wrote:First, I echo the sentiments of everyone here in thanking you for doing this. This is as useful as anything I have read here.

Second, if possible, I would like a little advice about my current situation: After talking to my current employer (small firm in suburban Chicago), the consensus seems to be that they would love to have me, but they simply don't know if they will have the funds to...at least they won't know until the spring. 4 of the 12 attorneys have told me that they would be willing to recommend me to a future employer if that employer has any concerns about me.

I am a 3.3 (3.2 is median) at a top 20-30 school...what (if any) might that future employer be? I figure I won't have much of a shot at biglaw, but I just want gainful legal employment that will keep the student loan collectors away. Ideally I would like to be a litigator. 1--is this possible? 2--What advice could you give me? Insight into your firm's apprenticeship program would be incredible as well.

All is not lost. You got good experience this summer and now have several lawyers that will vouch for you. Since you really want to be a litigator, focus all of your attention on litigation firms of all sizes. Talk to the lawyers you are working with and ask them to help network on your behalf. If you do not land a perm job right after graduatuon, be willing to do contract work if necessary to continue meeting people and getting experience.

As for our Schola2Juris program, please feel free to apply. We definitely have openings in litigation.

normn3116

Postby normn3116 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
normn3116 wrote:First, I echo the sentiments of everyone here in thanking you for doing this. This is as useful as anything I have read here.

Second, if possible, I would like a little advice about my current situation: After talking to my current employer (small firm in suburban Chicago), the consensus seems to be that they would love to have me, but they simply don't know if they will have the funds to...at least they won't know until the spring. 4 of the 12 attorneys have told me that they would be willing to recommend me to a future employer if that employer has any concerns about me.

I am a 3.3 (3.2 is median) at a top 20-30 school...what (if any) might that future employer be? I figure I won't have much of a shot at biglaw, but I just want gainful legal employment that will keep the student loan collectors away. Ideally I would like to be a litigator. 1--is this possible? 2--What advice could you give me? Insight into your firm's apprenticeship program would be incredible as well.

All is not lost. You got good experience this summer and now have several lawyers that will vouch for you. Since you really want to be a litigator, focus all of your attention on litigation firms of all sizes. Talk to the lawyers you are working with and ask them to help network on your behalf. If you do not land a perm job right after graduatuon, be willing to do contract work if necessary to continue meeting people and getting experience.

As for our Schola2Juris program, please feel free to apply. We definitely have openings in litigation.

Thank you very much. I have also been getting in touch with litigators from my undergrad, who supposedly love to help their own. I guess we'll see how that works. Once the school year starts up, I plan on seeing what (if any) help my law school's CSO might have, since we just had a complete overhaul of the department.

I do have to ask though...would a biglaw massmail be a complete waste of my time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 pm

A few questions about interviewing as a transfer student (#5 w/ law review at a T-35 to CCN, if that helps you give more specific answers):
1. How conservatively should I bid?
2. How should I approach the interview generally?
3. Any questions I can expect to hear?
4. How do I handle the no LR thing at CCN? Do I bring up that I have already started the process to note-on to LR?
5. I had a summer SA in a secondary market, but still am relatively unsure of whether I want transactional/litigation. Will interviewers expect me to have more than an inclination?
6. Anything else you think would be valuable?

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 am

normn3116 wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Thank you very much. I have also been getting in touch with litigators from my undergrad, who supposedly love to help their own. I guess we'll see how that works. Once the school year starts up, I plan on seeing what (if any) help my law school's CSO might have, since we just had a complete overhaul of the department.

I do have to ask though...would a biglaw massmail be a complete waste of my time?

While you do run the risk of not having any luck with a mass mailing, I don't think it would hurt. Use any avenue possible to reach out to people.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:A few questions about interviewing as a transfer student (#5 w/ law review at a T-35 to CCN, if that helps you give more specific answers):
1. How conservatively should I bid?
2. How should I approach the interview generally?
3. Any questions I can expect to hear?
4. How do I handle the no LR thing at CCN? Do I bring up that I have already started the process to note-on to LR?
5. I had a summer SA in a secondary market, but still am relatively unsure of whether I want transactional/litigation. Will interviewers expect me to have more than an inclination?
6. Anything else you think would be valuable?

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

1. Have a good mix of conservative and aggressive bids
2. Be honest about why you are a transfer.
3. You will probably be asked why you chose your first school and why you wanted to transfer.
4. Yes. Mention that because you are a transfer, you are working on the process of writing on. Also include that you would have been on LR at your previous school.
5. As an early 2L, you would not be expected to know what direction you want to go in. However, you should start to put together a plan to help figure that out.
6. Just try to relax in your interviews and remember that it is supposed to be a conversation between you and the firms. You will be fine.

applejacks

Postby applejacks » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 am

I mass mailed biglaw firms last week and have still heard nothing back with regards to setting up an interview. Should I call the firm directly to see what is going on with my application (i.e., are they reviewing my materials, is it a rejection, etc.)? If so, what should I say?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 am

applejacks wrote:I mass mailed biglaw firms last week and have still heard nothing back with regards to setting up an interview. Should I call the firm directly to see what is going on with my application (i.e., are they reviewing my materials, is it a rejection, etc.)? If so, what should I say?

You should give them more time. It may be a couple of weeks before they review your materials. Keep in mind they may still have summer associates at the firm and are receiving application materials from many students. It can take a while to review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
applejacks wrote:I mass mailed biglaw firms last week and have still heard nothing back with regards to setting up an interview. Should I call the firm directly to see what is going on with my application (i.e., are they reviewing my materials, is it a rejection, etc.)? If so, what should I say?

You should give them more time. It may be a couple of weeks before they review your materials. Keep in mind they may still have summer associates at the firm and are receiving application materials from many students. It can take a while to review.

Would targeted mailings, while taking more time, be worth it over mass mails?

For me specifically, Cornell, 3.5~, with LR (median 3.35 officially)

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Targeted mailings are always preferable. Always.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Targeted mailings are always preferable. Always.

Would changing a paragraph for each firm be considered targeted? Just to bring in some not too deep things about the particular firm's practice and your interest in it?

Also, should the cover letter and resume both be pdfs or can the cover letter be in the mail body?

Thank you so much for your responses!!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Changing the paragraph would probably be enough, but I can't say definitively without seeing your letter. You just don't want it to read like this:

Dear XX:

I am interested in X firm and really want to work in X city. I am wonderful because of ABC. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

I know you all are sending out thousands of letters but they should at least sort of sound like you are actually addressing it to me or my firm.

That said, cover letters can either be part of the e-mail body or attached as a pdf. If you include them in your e-mail text, please make sure they are as formal as they would be in a letter. Also, if you attach them as a pdf, be sure to put some explanation of what is enclosed in the body of the e-mail. I can't stand to get a completely empty e-mail from a candidate with only attachments. I wonder if it is spam or a virus and I tend to delete without opening them . . .

Return to “Legal Employment”