Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:00 pm

adonai wrote:Do "personal biases" ever come into play when deciding who to hire? If someone happened to be very active in things that the hirer was a part of (say, actively involved in an organization the hirer was a board member of), do you think it would play a big role in ultimately hiring that individual over someone who had nothing to relate with? Or is this all even out of the question and you must hire whoever you think the firm would want?

Our hiring is more of an overall group decision. While each person can weigh in, individual biases that you describe really don't have that much effect generally. Here again, speaking from only my perspective. Other firms may have different answers.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi and thanks for doing this

I've read that some law firms are now requiring applicants to submit the personal statement that they submitted for law school applications...any thoughts on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 pm

I was forced to withdraw from all law classes early in 2009 due to a verifiable acute short term illness. These appear as W's on my transcript. I re-entered school in Fall 2010 and finished 1L in the top 10% of my class. I am looking at OCI now and wondering if I should provide an explanation.

If you looked at a transcript of a Top 10% student would you want an explanation for W's?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:50 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Hi and thanks for doing this

I've read that some law firms are now requiring applicants to submit the personal statement that they submitted for law school applications...any thoughts on this?

Haven't heard about this and we are not doing that. I can't imagine adding another layer of application materials to everything we already receive.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was forced to withdraw from all law classes early in 2009 due to a verifiable acute short term illness. These appear as W's on my transcript. I re-entered school in Fall 2010 and finished 1L in the top 10% of my class. I am looking at OCI now and wondering if I should provide an explanation.

If you looked at a transcript of a Top 10% student would you want an explanation for W's?

I don't think you need to proactively bring it up in, say, your cover letter. You will probably want to be prepared for the question if you get asked, though. Just short and concise and do not go into too many details about the illness.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Previous poster in this thread. I had around a 3.2 at UT. Took a three credit, curved summer class which I got an A in...Only bumps my cumulative to a 3.28 (still below median, but better). I dropped use of the computer, and did alot of things differently in class which I can sell as having "figured out this law school stuff." But, surely 1 grade, even if the most recent cannot be dubbed an upward trend. My question is 1. Should I put that it was my most recent class on my resume where I list "A in blah blah blah class" and 2. Is there any accepted way to say that this was on the curve and not one of those seminar class in which everyone gets As?

Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Hello,
Had a quick question in regards to Transfer Students. I was top 5% at a T3, had two great summer internships, and now I am transfering to a T20. How do firms look at students like myself and do you think I would even have a shot of getting any CB/offers from OCI? Thanks so much.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Previous poster in this thread. I had around a 3.2 at UT. Took a three credit, curved summer class which I got an A in...Only bumps my cumulative to a 3.28 (still below median, but better). I dropped use of the computer, and did alot of things differently in class which I can sell as having "figured out this law school stuff." But, surely 1 grade, even if the most recent cannot be dubbed an upward trend. My question is 1. Should I put that it was my most recent class on my resume where I list "A in blah blah blah class" and 2. Is there any accepted way to say that this was on the curve and not one of those seminar class in which everyone gets As?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately you are correct. One grade does not really indicate a trend, even though it is a great start. You could list it separately under "Summer Term" and indicate full credit class.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,
Had a quick question in regards to Transfer Students. I was top 5% at a T3, had two great summer internships, and now I am transfering to a T20. How do firms look at students like myself and do you think I would even have a shot of getting any CB/offers from OCI? Thanks so much.

It may be a little more difficult but you should be fine in OCI. Just work with CSO and make sure you network with as many people at your new school as possible.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:09 pm

what does it mean to network exactly? do you mean going to events and meeting up with recruiters?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 pm

glitched wrote:what does it mean to network exactly? do you mean going to events and meeting up with recruiters?

You should meet and talk to as many people as possible - classmates, professors, career services, recruiters in the area, etc. Just introduce yourself and ask advice about the legal market, etc. These connections and conversations will ultimately lead to a job opportunity. This advice goes for everyone, not just transfers.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I asked this earlier, not sure if it got lost in the pile. . . giving it a second shot!

I am considering Communications Law. I am aware of firms like Wiley Ryan and Latham Watkins, well known for this area of the law, but generally speaking, what is your take on advising (or discouraging) someone to concentrate in this particular field? Thanks.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:04 pm

ms2010 wrote:How often do you actually interview people from resume collects? Any advice you could provide that would increase chances of getting pulled by a firm that is only doing a resume collect and not an actual interview?

Pulling this out as it appears to have gotten lost.

Also - many firms on NALP give out a multi-office form; apply to each office individually when mailing or send all materials to the HQ?

Thank you for your time and help.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 am

My GPA is either 3.40, 3.50, or 3.60. My question is, should I list it as I did before, or just do 3.4, 3.5, or 3.6 - weird question I know. My transcript includes the 0 at the end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:41 am

Really, really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of these questions. I wish there were more recruiters out there who would give such candid advice.

Rising 2L, top 10% in a top 40 school. Is it bad to say I'm interested in both transactions and commercial litigation in my cover letter? I have and undergraduate business degree plus two years corporate experience and know I want to do something business related, but at this point I'm not sure exactly what. Does listing both look like I'm just throwing terms out there?

Also, I didn't do much writing in my 1L internship bc I'm working for a corporate firm abroad, but I was told to emphasize my legal research and writing skills in my cover letter. I did well in LRW and made law review, which is just about all I can say about these skills. Should I re-emphasize those in my cover letter, or is it enough that it shows on my resume/transcript?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 am

Hey lawfirmrecruiter - Thanks for taking time and answering questions.

Many times has this question surfaced at TLS - about law students having business cards for networking purposes. The general consensus is that it is off-putting and not a good idea, but this is the general consensus of largely fellow 0Ls, and law students and I would value a recruiter's opinion significantly more.

Can you comment on the value of law students having business cards?

My instinct tells me that there would be very few situations that I would pass out my business card - that instead, I would collect other people's business cards and follow-up with them with emails and phone calls.

Thanks in advance.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:00 am

Renne Walker wrote:I asked this earlier, not sure if it got lost in the pile. . . giving it a second shot!

I am considering Communications Law. I am aware of firms like Wiley Ryan and Latham Watkins, well known for this area of the law, but generally speaking, what is your take on advising (or discouraging) someone to concentrate in this particular field? Thanks.

I saw your question earlier and wanted to think about it a bit before answering. We don't have a communications practice so I can't speak directly to that industry area. However, even ITE, I think you should pursue your area of interest if that is really what you want to do. It is really difficult to change groups later, either within a law firm or as a lateral. If you take a job in a group you don't like just to have a job, you may be in that area for a really long time and end up miserable. That said, you should really think of several practice options you would be happy with in the long term and pursue positions.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:02 am

beach_terror wrote:My GPA is either 3.40, 3.50, or 3.60. My question is, should I list it as I did before, or just do 3.4, 3.5, or 3.6 - weird question I know. My transcript includes the 0 at the end.

My school specifically requires you to list to the 0 and to round to the third decimal spot if necessary. We also have to list the scale, so 3.50/4.3. You may want to check with your school...

If you just say 3.4, you could have a 3.36 and have rounded up...

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am

YourCaptain wrote:
ms2010 wrote:How often do you actually interview people from resume collects? Any advice you could provide that would increase chances of getting pulled by a firm that is only doing a resume collect and not an actual interview?

Pulling this out as it appears to have gotten lost.

Also - many firms on NALP give out a multi-office form; apply to each office individually when mailing or send all materials to the HQ?

Thank you for your time and help.

Resume Collects - we do a lot of interviewing from resume collects. It is a way for firms to screen candidates but not have to send someone to campus. To up your chances, send a followup e-mail and introduce yourself to the recruiter.

On multi-office form, send to each office and HQ.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

beach_terror wrote:My GPA is either 3.40, 3.50, or 3.60. My question is, should I list it as I did before, or just do 3.4, 3.5, or 3.6 - weird question I know. My transcript includes the 0 at the end.

Drop the "0" on your resume.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Really, really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of these questions. I wish there were more recruiters out there who would give such candid advice.

Rising 2L, top 10% in a top 40 school. Is it bad to say I'm interested in both transactions and commercial litigation in my cover letter? I have and undergraduate business degree plus two years corporate experience and know I want to do something business related, but at this point I'm not sure exactly what. Does listing both look like I'm just throwing terms out there?

Also, I didn't do much writing in my 1L internship bc I'm working for a corporate firm abroad, but I was told to emphasize my legal research and writing skills in my cover letter. I did well in LRW and made law review, which is just about all I can say about these skills. Should I re-emphasize those in my cover letter, or is it enough that it shows on my resume/transcript?

Since you don't have a practice preference yet, I would leave this off. Just talk about how fantastic the firm is and how much you would like to get exposure to a broad range of practices, etc. You could include a sentence about making law review. Other than that, let your resume speak for itself.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:13 am

TommyK wrote:Hey lawfirmrecruiter - Thanks for taking time and answering questions.

Many times has this question surfaced at TLS - about law students having business cards for networking purposes. The general consensus is that it is off-putting and not a good idea, but this is the general consensus of largely fellow 0Ls, and law students and I would value a recruiter's opinion significantly more.

Can you comment on the value of law students having business cards?

My instinct tells me that there would be very few situations that I would pass out my business card - that instead, I would collect other people's business cards and follow-up with them with emails and phone calls.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I don't mind business cards from students. I have only received a few but I liked being able to have their contact info to enter into our database. As for when you would pass them out, rule of thumb is if someone gives you one, give yours back.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks for answering questions, lawfirmrecruiter. I posted this in a separate thread, but I think you may know best:

After I graduated college I really wanted to get a feel with the profession before I dropped tons of money and the rest of my life in a profession. I worked with a legal staffing agency for a year after undergrad because I wanted to get a feel for the legal profession, so I worked 5-6 temp paralegal jobs with them at a variety of firms in the area and some in-house legal dept work over that year. A couple were doc review with NLJ250 firms, one was subpoena fulfillment in a corporate legal dept, another was sorting records for another corporate legal dept, etc. I felt that it was a pretty good experience and allowed me to see a bunch of different fields within the legal profession, especially coupled with the fact that I spent about 3 months interning with a family/criminal lawyer in a secondary market.

I've heard everyone knock on the attorneys stuck in dead-end doc review, but does having that kind of experience with a simple B.S. hurt like it does with a J.D.? I guess, more or less, what I'm asking is: Is Doc Review/Legal Temping like The Bog of Eternal Stench from Labyrinth, dip one foot in it and you'll stink forever? Did I make a huge mistake or will having something like that under my belt hinder or do nothing at all for employment prospects?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Is it frowned upon to include a mormon mission on a resume?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:17 pm

crossarmant wrote:Thanks for answering questions, lawfirmrecruiter. I posted this in a separate thread, but I think you may know best:

After I graduated college I really wanted to get a feel with the profession before I dropped tons of money and the rest of my life in a profession. I worked with a legal staffing agency for a year after undergrad because I wanted to get a feel for the legal profession, so I worked 5-6 temp paralegal jobs with them at a variety of firms in the area and some in-house legal dept work over that year. A couple were doc review with NLJ250 firms, one was subpoena fulfillment in a corporate legal dept, another was sorting records for another corporate legal dept, etc. I felt that it was a pretty good experience and allowed me to see a bunch of different fields within the legal profession, especially coupled with the fact that I spent about 3 months interning with a family/criminal lawyer in a secondary market.

I've heard everyone knock on the attorneys stuck in dead-end doc review, but does having that kind of experience with a simple B.S. hurt like it does with a J.D.? I guess, more or less, what I'm asking is: Is Doc Review/Legal Temping like The Bog of Eternal Stench from Labyrinth, dip one foot in it and you'll stink forever? Did I make a huge mistake or will having something like that under my belt hinder or do nothing at all for employment prospects?

Absolutely not. If anything, it will have a positive effect on your employment prospects. I would view you as a candidate that knows what you are getting into and has at least been exposed to the legal industry.

Return to “Legal Employment”