Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:26 pm

I was wondering how a firm looks at disciplinary action while you were attending undergrad if the question comes up. (I had 3 incidents involving alcohol in college (2 during my 1st year due to adjusting to college and one my 3rd year). Other than this, I have no arrests or anything similar.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering how a firm looks at disciplinary action while you were attending undergrad if the question comes up. (I had 3 incidents involving alcohol in college (2 during my 1st year due to adjusting to college and one my 3rd year). Other than this, I have no arrests or anything similar.


If it comes up, we would probably just want to understand how you have addresed any issues.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi.
How would you look at someone who transfers from a lower T14 to Harvard or Yale?
Would you tend to be suspicious of their commitment to private practice? What could they say to reassure you?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi.
How would you look at someone who transfers from a lower T14 to Harvard or Yale?
Would you tend to be suspicious of their commitment to private practice? What could they say to reassure you?


Without any other insight into resume or qulaifications, I don't believe I would be suspicious. You would just need to be honest in your reasoning for the switch, as any other transfer student would need to be.

In reading a lot of the posts on this thread, there seems to be a substantial worry that we (firms) are suspicious and doubtful from the beginning. While we are selective because of our own business needs, we are pretty reasonable and just want to hear about you. This whole interview process should be a conversation that leads to a mutually beneficial employment opportunity. Everyone should try to remember that and just be yourselves and tell your story.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:48 pm

do you think it is an advantage for a 3L student to do an externship at FINRA or the SEC for 2 semesters instead of 1?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:48 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi.
How would you look at someone who transfers from a lower T14 to Harvard or Yale?
Would you tend to be suspicious of their commitment to private practice? What could they say to reassure you?


Without any other insight into resume or qulaifications, I don't believe I would be suspicious. You would just need to be honest in your reasoning for the switch, as any other transfer student would need to be.

In reading a lot of the posts on this thread, there seems to be a substantial worry that we (firms) are suspicious and doubtful from the beginning. While we are selective because of our own business needs, we are pretty reasonable and just want to hear about you. This whole interview process should be a conversation that leads to a mutually beneficial employment opportunity. Everyone should try to remember that and just be yourselves and tell your story.


Suppose the real reason is that he thinks that after 4-5 years of 2200 billables, he might remember how his professors seemed to never be in the office very late.
How would you feel about that?

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:46 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm originally from Birmingham and very interested in practicing in Nashville. I don't really have any connections to the city, except for visiting it many times. Would being from the South help my chances at firms in Nashville? A few Nashville firms are coming to my school's OCI and I am planning on sending out my resume to many firms.

Also, I am very interested in practicing health law and I have heard that there is alot of this work done in Nashville. Do you have any advice on how to present this interest in cover letters or interviews?


Absolutely. Birmingham ties are close enough.

As for healthcare, it is our primary industry and we are known as the Silicon Valley for for-profit healthcare. Simply state that you understand the dominance of the industry and seek to join a firm with strong hc practice.


What about somebody who went to college in North Carolina? How does that (perhaps combined with a professed interest to return to the region) rate for ties?


Could you answer this question? ---^ I think it got lost in the shuffle.

User avatar
mjitbswyd
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby mjitbswyd » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:24 pm

I did 1L summer in a biglaw international office and have the managing partner (who has given me a few assignment) and an associate who I worked for most on my reference list. Would you really call either one of them?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Ghost wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but what do you look for in an applicant's resume besides research and writing?


I look for a well rounded person that has an interesting background.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm originally from Birmingham and very interested in practicing in Nashville. I don't really have any connections to the city, except for visiting it many times. Would being from the South help my chances at firms in Nashville? A few Nashville firms are coming to my school's OCI and I am planning on sending out my resume to many firms.

Also, I am very interested in practicing health law and I have heard that there is alot of this work done in Nashville. Do you have any advice on how to present this interest in cover letters or interviews?


Absolutely. Birmingham ties are close enough.

As for healthcare, it is our primary industry and we are known as the Silicon Valley for for-profit healthcare. Simply state that you understand the dominance of the industry and seek to join a firm with strong hc practice.


What about somebody who went to college in North Carolina? How does that (perhaps combined with a professed interest to return to the region) rate for ties?


Could you answer this question? ---^ I think it got lost in the shuffle.


NC would be good ties if you expressed particular interest in the region.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:I did 1L summer in a biglaw international office and have the managing partner (who has given me a few assignment) and an associate who I worked for most on my reference list. Would you really call either one of them?


If we got to the call back stage, yes. I would give them a call.

User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby japes » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Ghost wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but what do you look for in an applicant's resume besides research and writing?


I look for a well rounded person that has an interesting background.


Is it worth adding items to the resume strictly for interesting value? For example, I shot a documentary last year on geocaching, a kind of obscure GPS-based outdoor sport. Is this worth including, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with legal work?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 pm

japes wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Ghost wrote:Sorry if this has been asked, but what do you look for in an applicant's resume besides research and writing?


I look for a well rounded person that has an interesting background.


Is it worth adding items to the resume strictly for interesting value? For example, I shot a documentary last year on geocaching, a kind of obscure GPS-based outdoor sport. Is this worth including, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with legal work?


That sounds really interesting. You might include it at the very end under "other activities" or something similar.

User avatar
Kendi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Kendi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Are you recruiting more in ’11 than in ’10 or '09?

When I peer into my crystal ball, in ’14 I envision a mass exodus of retiring boomers along with a resurgence of the economy. Any chance of either?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:19 am

Kendi wrote:Are you recruiting more in ’11 than in ’10 or '09?

When I peer into my crystal ball, in ’14 I envision a mass exodus of retiring boomers along with a resurgence of the economy. Any chance of either?


Actually I am recruiting a bit more this year than in the previous 2 years. That said, I don't believe anyone's crystal ball can see beyond the next few quarters.

tecumseh
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:53 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby tecumseh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 am

Hi, thank you so much for your answers!

I have a couple of questions related to on campus recruiting:

1) I have secured a screening interview with a firm that I really like at a diversity job fair. This firm however is also coming to our OCI after that interview. Would it be a waste to bid on the firm again for OCI (as a backup assuming the first screener doesn't go well). Or do most firms not give you a second chance in this case?

2) On a related note, if I have secured a screening interview with a firm's office in one location via the diversity fair, would the firm view it negatively if I try to secure a screener with them at OCI for another location?

Thank you!

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:59 am

tecumseh wrote:Hi, thank you so much for your answers!

I have a couple of questions related to on campus recruiting:

1) I have secured a screening interview with a firm that I really like at a diversity job fair. This firm however is also coming to our OCI after that interview. Would it be a waste to bid on the firm again for OCI (as a backup assuming the first screener doesn't go well). Or do most firms not give you a second chance in this case?

2) On a related note, if I have secured a screening interview with a firm's office in one location via the diversity fair, would the firm view it negatively if I try to secure a screener with them at OCI for another location?

Thank you!


I can't really speak for other firms but if we did not call back from the job fair, we most likely would not call back during OCI.

As for question 2, again, my own opinion, I would wonder where you actually wanted to go. If you tell both offices that you want work there you are sending mixed messages. It might be better to just say up front that you would be willing to work in X, Y or Z office from the beginning. Make sense?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Just noticed that you have every law school down on the NALPdirectory list of schools where you do OCI. Well-played.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Renne Walker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm

I am considering Communications Law. I am aware of firms like Wiley Ryan and Latham Watkins, well known for this area of the law, but generally speaking, what is your take on advising (or discouraging) someone to concentrate in this particular field? Thanks.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby sunynp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Here is a question that gets asked a few times on these forums. What advice can be given to genuinely help a student who wants to stay in law school but is at the bottom, below median, whatever, of their class? What do they do if they are certain to not get a job through OCI? What is the best course of action you would advise to maximize chances of employment after law school?

Thanks!

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 pm

stratocophic wrote:Just noticed that you have every law school down on the NALPdirectory list of schools where you do OCI. Well-played.


I'm probably being lame for pasting the list, but I just confirmed on NALP. This makes the firm look like such a joke. Don't recall seeing this firm at OCI.

Albany Law School
American University, Washington College of Law
Appalachian School of Law
Arizona State University College of Law
Ave Maria School of Law
Barry University School of Law
Baylor Law School
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Boston College Law School
Boston University School of Law
Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville
Brigham Young University Law School
Brooklyn Law School
California Western School of Law
Campbell University, Norman A. Wiggins School of Law
Capital University Law School
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
Chapman University School of Law
Charleston School of Law
Charlotte School of Law
Chicago-Kent College of Law
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University
Columbia University Law School
Cornell Law School
Creighton University School of Law
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
CUNY School of Law at Queens College
Dalhousie Law School
DePaul University College of Law
Dickinson School of Law at Pennsylvania State University
Drake University Law School
Drexel University College of Law
Duke University School of Law
Duquesne University School of Law
Elon University School of Law
Emory University School of Law
Faulkner University Thomas Goode Jones School of Law
Florida A & M University College of Law
Florida Coastal School of Law
Florida International University College of Law
Florida State University College of Law
Fordham University School of Law
George Mason University School of Law
George Washington University Law School
Georgetown University Law Center
Georgia State University College of Law
Golden Gate University School of Law
Gonzaga University School of Law
Hamline University School of Law
Harvard Law School
Hofstra University School of Law
Howard University School of Law
Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington
Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis
Inter American University of Puerto Rico
John Marshall Law School (Atlanta)
John Marshall Law School (Chicago)
Lewis & Clark, Northwestern School of Law
Liberty University School of Law
Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center
Loyola Law School - Los Angeles
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
Marquette University Law School
McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific
McGill University Faculty of Law
Mercer University School of Law
Michigan State University College of Law
Mississippi College School of Law
New England School of Law
New York Law School
New York University School of Law
North Carolina Central University School of Law
Northeastern University School of Law
Northern Illinois University College of Law
Northern Kentucky University, Chase College of Law
Northwestern University School of Law
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center
Ohio Northern University, Claude W. Pettit College of Law
Ohio State University College of Law
Oklahoma City University School of Law
Pace University School of Law
Pepperdine University School of Law
Phoenix School of Law
Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico
Queen's University Faculty of Law
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Regent University College of Law
Roger Williams School of Law
Rutgers University School of Law--Camden
Rutgers University School of Law--Newark
Santa Clara University School of Law
Seattle University School of Law
Seton Hall Law School
SMU Dedman School of Law
South Texas College of Law
Southern Illinois University School of Law
Southern University Law Center
Southwestern University School of Law
St. John's University School of Law
St. Louis University School of Law
St. Mary's University School of Law
St. Thomas University School of Law
Stanford Law School
Stetson University College of Law
Suffolk University Law School
Syracuse University College of Law
Temple University School of Law
Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law
Texas Tech University School of Law
Texas Wesleyan University School of Law
Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
Tulane Law School
UCLA School of Law
Universite de Montreal
Universite de Sherbrooke Faculte de Droit
University at Buffalo Law School, State University of New York
University of Akron School of Law
University of Alabama School of Law
University of Alberta Faculty of Law
University of Arizona College of Law
University of Arkansas at Little Rock School of Law
University of Arkansas School of Law
University of Baltimore School of Law
University of British Columbia
University of Calgary Faculty of Law
University of California - Irvine School of Law
University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law
University of California, Davis
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
University of Chicago Law School
University of Cincinnati College of Law
University of Colorado School of Law
University of Connecticut School of Law
University of Dayton School of Law
University of Denver College of Law
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
University of Florida Levin College of Law
University of Georgia School of Law
University of Hawaii, W.S. Richardson School of Law
University of Houston Law Center
University of Idaho College of Law
University of Illinois College of Law
University of Iowa College of Law
University of Kansas School of Law
University of Kentucky College of Law
University of LaVerne College of Law
University of Maine School of Law
University of Manitoba Faculty of Law
University of Maryland School of Law
University of Memphis, Cecil Humphreys School of Law
University of Miami School of Law
University of Michigan Law School
University of Minnesota Law School
University of Mississippi School of Law
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law
University of Montana School of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
University of Nevada Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law
University of New Brunswick
University of New Hampshire School of Law
University of New Mexico School of Law
University of North Carolina School of Law
University of North Dakota School of Law
University of Notre Dame Law School
University of Oklahoma College of Law
University of Oregon School of Law
University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
University of Pennsylvania Law School
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
University of Puerto Rico School of Law
University of Richmond School of Law
University of San Diego School of Law
University of San Francisco School of Law
University of Saskatchewan College of Law
University of South Carolina School of Law
University of South Dakota School of Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
University of St. Thomas
University of Tennessee College of Law
University of Texas School of Law
University of the District of Columbia School of Law
University of Toledo College of Law
University of Toronto Faculty of Law
University of Tulsa College of Law
University of Utah College of Law
University of Victoria Faculty of Law
University of Virginia School of Law
University of Washington School of Law
University of Western Ontario
University of Windsor
University of Wisconsin Law School
University of Wyoming College of Law
Valparaiso University School of Law
Vanderbilt University Law School
Vermont Law School
Villanova University School of Law
Wake Forest University School of Law
Washburn University School of Law
Washington and Lee University School of Law
Washington University School of Law
Wayne State University Law School
West Virginia University College of Law
Western New England College School of Law
Western State University College of Law
Whittier Law School
Widener University School of Law
Willamette University College of Law
William & Mary School of Law
William Mitchell College of Law
Yale Law School
York University Osgoode Hall Law School

What the f.supp?
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Despite my rude post, I do appreciate the recruiter taking the time to answer so many questions for so many people.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Despite my rude post, I do appreciate the recruiter taking the time to answer so many questions for so many people.


I'm still trying to figure out why you needed to copy and paste the list of every school. Maybe you thought that people browsing the Legal Employment forum don't know how to use the NALP directory?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Despite my rude post, I do appreciate the recruiter taking the time to answer so many questions for so many people.


The point was that students from all schools are welcome to apply. The NALP form does not make it easy to explain programs outside standard OCI.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.