Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:44 pm

OP,

From a recruiter's perspective, how should I go about crafting a resume and prepping for discussing work experience in my situation..

I was a Finance major UG, but straight out of college it was difficult to get a position in that industry. So, from a family connection, I was able to get a non-traditional position as a manager at a food manufacturing company. The company is family owned and relatively small, and I think that hiring a 21 year old to run the whole plant and be subordinate only to the owner/CEO speaks to the way that it was run. In any case, the learning curve was huge, and I had my hand in every single aspect of the business - production, maintenance, managerial, HR, safety, training, marketing, client-relationship building, financial, marketing, etc. I was in charge of 60+ people, multiple teams, and running the company. I had to work long hours (minimum: 10 hours a day; maximum 18+ if necessary).

The thing is that I acquired this position during the Fall of applying to law school, and given the nature of the company as well as receiving scholarship money, I decided to leave and attend LS after only 6 months. This was the only significant job that I held during the 1 year interim period between UG and LS. So, even though my stay was 6 months, I think that the amount of experience and work that I contributed equated to much more than that.

How should I frame this on a resume and during an interview? I know that short stints tend to be a negative indicator for interviewees, but I think that my experience here far outweighs the number of months.

Also, how should I relate manufacturing/managerial experience when applying for firm jobs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Here's a less common question: if I am an international student with interest in living in the state of my school for good upon graduation, would I be able to claim ties to the area at all by simply citing my desire to live there and be bound there by an employment related green card? Since I assume that's insufficient, would being engaged to someone in the state/city be enough to brush aside the issues of being an international?

Thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think your program is going to work?

I go to a school you used to recruit from. Really my question is, do you still value ties to Nashville or are you ditching Tennessee to try and make waves at the national level?

And what kind of feedback have you gotten from schools/students? To be honest, I haven't heard anything/anything positive thus far, so I'm curious to see how it's coming on your end.

We do believe the program will work and is working well now. The feedback we have received from schools has been extremely positive as has been the response from students. We absolutely still value ties to Nashville and will continue our strong recruiting ties with local and regional schools. Because our program is out of the typical cycle, however, we cannot solely count on that pool of candidates.

By changing our recruiting model, we are addressing the demands of our clients to begin training earlier and the needs of students to have a more secure employment platform. Since we are trying something so different from the norm, it will take time to get used to. Hopefully, the feedback you will ultimately hear will be positive. Right now, though, it is a bit premature to have a negative opinion.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP,

From a recruiter's perspective, how should I go about crafting a resume and prepping for discussing work experience in my situation..

I was a Finance major UG, but straight out of college it was difficult to get a position in that industry. So, from a family connection, I was able to get a non-traditional position as a manager at a food manufacturing company. The company is family owned and relatively small, and I think that hiring a 21 year old to run the whole plant and be subordinate only to the owner/CEO speaks to the way that it was run. In any case, the learning curve was huge, and I had my hand in every single aspect of the business - production, maintenance, managerial, HR, safety, training, marketing, client-relationship building, financial, marketing, etc. I was in charge of 60+ people, multiple teams, and running the company. I had to work long hours (minimum: 10 hours a day; maximum 18+ if necessary).

The thing is that I acquired this position during the Fall of applying to law school, and given the nature of the company as well as receiving scholarship money, I decided to leave and attend LS after only 6 months. This was the only significant job that I held during the 1 year interim period between UG and LS. So, even though my stay was 6 months, I think that the amount of experience and work that I contributed equated to much more than that.

How should I frame this on a resume and during an interview? I know that short stints tend to be a negative indicator for interviewees, but I think that my experience here far outweighs the number of months.

Also, how should I relate manufacturing/managerial experience when applying for firm jobs?

This should not be a problem at all! The fact that it was only for a short time will be mitigated by the fact that you always planned on going to law school. Put bullets about your experience with the company and briefly explain the business experience you gained in your cover letter.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a less common question: if I am an international student with interest in living in the state of my school for good upon graduation, would I be able to claim ties to the area at all by simply citing my desire to live there and be bound there by an employment related green card? Since I assume that's insufficient, would being engaged to someone in the state/city be enough to brush aside the issues of being an international?

Thanks!

I don't think the international issue will affect you that much. Just explain all the reasons you listed including your fiancee and you will be fine.

NE1410S

Postby NE1410S » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a rising 3L. I have a BBA, MBA, and 3 yrs good business experience prior attending law school. I'm in the top 15% at a T50 school with a significant amount of experience in moot court and negotiation competitions. I'm not on law review because I transferred from another school were I was in the top 5% of the class. During school, I clerked for a state judge and a federal judge. This summer I worked in-house for 6 weeks and will be working with a litigation firm for six weeks.

Two questions:

1) I really like both litigation and transactional work. If you were to see the above information on my resume, where would you initially think I'd be the best "fit?"

2) Also, is not having law review a huge detriment for litigation? I wish I was on law review, but honestly my moot court briefs seem to give me much more practical experience.

Thank you again!!!!

nymario

Postby nymario » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a Finance major UG,
from a family connection, I was able to get a non-traditional position as a manager at a food manufacturing company. The company is family owned and relatively small, and I think that hiring a 21 year old to run the whole plant and be subordinate only to the owner/CEO speaks to the way that it was run. In any case, the learning curve was huge, and I had my hand in every single aspect of the business - production, maintenance, managerial, HR, safety, training, marketing, client-relationship building, financial, marketing, etc. I was in charge of 60+ people, multiple teams, and running the company. I had to work long hours (minimum: 10 hours a day; maximum 18+ if necessary).

That is the best way to put "in exchange for letting me move back into the basement, my dad hired me as the assistant manager at his mcdonalds franchise" i have ever seen.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:49 pm

NE1410S wrote:Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a rising 3L. I have a BBA, MBA, and 3 yrs good business experience prior attending law school. I'm in the top 15% at a T50 school with a significant amount of experience in moot court and negotiation competitions. I'm not on law review because I transferred from another school were I was in the top 5% of the class. During school, I clerked for a state judge and a federal judge. This summer I worked in-house for 6 weeks and will be working with a litigation firm for six weeks.

Two questions:

1) I really like both litigation and transactional work. If you were to see the above information on my resume, where would you initially think I'd be the best "fit?"

2) Also, is not having law review a huge detriment for litigation? I wish I was on law review, but honestly my moot court briefs seem to give me much more practical experience.

Thank you again!!!!

Happy to help!

1. I would initially think transaction but your biz experience would also help corporate clients when faced with litigation. You should really ask yourself which would make you happy long term.

2. No law review for litigation is not detrimental. Especially if you have solid moot court experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm originally from Birmingham and very interested in practicing in Nashville. I don't really have any connections to the city, except for visiting it many times. Would being from the South help my chances at firms in Nashville? A few Nashville firms are coming to my school's OCI and I am planning on sending out my resume to many firms.

Also, I am very interested in practicing health law and I have heard that there is alot of this work done in Nashville. Do you have any advice on how to present this interest in cover letters or interviews?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm originally from Birmingham and very interested in practicing in Nashville. I don't really have any connections to the city, except for visiting it many times. Would being from the South help my chances at firms in Nashville? A few Nashville firms are coming to my school's OCI and I am planning on sending out my resume to many firms.

Also, I am very interested in practicing health law and I have heard that there is alot of this work done in Nashville. Do you have any advice on how to present this interest in cover letters or interviews?

Absolutely. Birmingham ties are close enough.

As for healthcare, it is our primary industry and we are known as the Silicon Valley for for-profit healthcare. Simply state that you understand the dominance of the industry and seek to join a firm with strong hc practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm originally from Birmingham and very interested in practicing in Nashville. I don't really have any connections to the city, except for visiting it many times. Would being from the South help my chances at firms in Nashville? A few Nashville firms are coming to my school's OCI and I am planning on sending out my resume to many firms.

As for healthcare, it is our primary industry and we are known as the Silicon Valley for for-profit healthcare. Simply state that you understand the dominance of the industry and seek to join a firm with strong hc practice.

Thanks, I really appreciate the info!

When discussing my interest in healthcare, does it hurt to say that I am also interested in litigation?? Right now, I am trying to present myself as interested in litigation and healthcare, b/c it seems somewhat risky to go into an interview and say that I just want to do healthcare work.

I'm worried though that saying I'm interested in litigation will hurt b/c alot of healthcare work is regulatory

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:33 pm

I had a question about your firm's unique new recruiting model (you may have already answered this, but the thread is pretty long).

Doesn't the fact that you are switching to a fall recruiting model in an industry that is still dominated by the traditional SA system necessarily mean that you'll be hiring from a pool of students who either a) didn't have a summer job or b) didn't get an offer from their summer job? I don't personally think that means these students are less qualified to do the work, but in the legal recruiting world these people are generally seen as somewhat damaged goods aren't they? How does your firm feel about that?

On that same note, wouldn't it be better to implement your recruiting model during the fall of 2L year, whittle the field down from the remote folks to a specific group who gets summer jobs, run the summer program in a more cost effective way with an emphasis on treating the summers like real associates, then make hiring decisions before the start of the next school year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Are you comfortable with students private messaging you about their job searches or is this restricted to public questions only? Thank you for your answers so far! They have provided a wealth of insight into what recruiters look for!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:51 pm

OP,

I am considering getting a combined degree at Duke: JD & Masters in International Development Policy. The latter degree interests me for four reasons: 1.) I feel like a globalized marketplace lends itself to a broad understanding of development trends. 2.) Governments love to contract. and 3.) The program focuses on economic policies/problems in developing countries, as well as research analysis and public financial management, all of which are of really high interest to me, and 4.) The extra degree would be free.

I am wary of committing to a combined degree, however, because I fear that it might be seen as a detriment to firm recruiters. I would ideally like to work antitrust, soft IP, or litigation with a large firm initially, regardless of whether or not my second degree finds application in the focuses of X firm. Assuming good grades (which I realize is a lot to assume), would such a dual degree be seen as a negative?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When discussing my interest in healthcare, does it hurt to say that I am also interested in litigation?? Right now, I am trying to present myself as interested in litigation and healthcare, b/c it seems somewhat risky to go into an interview and say that I just want to do healthcare work.

I'm worried though that saying I'm interested in litigation will hurt b/c alot of healthcare work is regulatory

There is plenty of healthcare litigation in Nashville, tons. Good luck though, it's hard to find stuff in Nashville without strong ties or an excellent record. I imagine lawfirmrecruiter will agree with me--it's a pretty saturated market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When discussing my interest in healthcare, does it hurt to say that I am also interested in litigation?? Right now, I am trying to present myself as interested in litigation and healthcare, b/c it seems somewhat risky to go into an interview and say that I just want to do healthcare work.

There is plenty of healthcare litigation in Nashville, tons. Good luck though, it's hard to find stuff in Nashville without strong ties or an excellent record. I imagine lawfirmrecruiter will agree with me--it's a pretty saturated market.

Thanks for this, would top 1/3 at MVP and being from the south cut it ?

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:27 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
schooner wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you view 3Ls who get no-offered?

I understand that there are a variety of reasons a student may not receive an offer ITE. Not a negative at all.

What's your advice for 3Ls who had to take a non-legal job in this economy but still want to get firm experience eventually? Is it possible? (One path I can imagine is non-legal job --> non-profit --> govt --> lateral hire at firm, but this could take years. Is there another, shorter way?)

It is absolutely possible and I just recently hired such a lateral. You should network with people at firms in the market you want to be in and stay in touch with them. Contract attorney is another route to take. The firm can see your work ethic and get to know you. Then if a spot opens up you will be top of mind.

How important are law school grades for lateral hires or contract attorney slots?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:35 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

What about somebody who went to college in North Carolina? How does that (perhaps combined with a professed interest to return to the region) rate for ties?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I had a question about your firm's unique new recruiting model (you may have already answered this, but the thread is pretty long).

Doesn't the fact that you are switching to a fall recruiting model in an industry that is still dominated by the traditional SA system necessarily mean that you'll be hiring from a pool of students who either a) didn't have a summer job or b) didn't get an offer from their summer job? I don't personally think that means these students are less qualified to do the work, but in the legal recruiting world these people are generally seen as somewhat damaged goods aren't they? How does your firm feel about that?

On that same note, wouldn't it be better to implement your recruiting model during the fall of 2L year, whittle the field down from the remote folks to a specific group who gets summer jobs, run the summer program in a more cost effective way with an emphasis on treating the summers like real associates, then make hiring decisions before the start of the next school year?

If we were in the pre-recession market I would agree with you completely. However, in our research and discussions we had while we were developing this new approach, we found (not surprisingly) that there is a wealth of talent in the 3L market that is made up of those that have summer jobs but either don't like it or don't get offers, those that simply did not get a position because the overall number of summer associates is still half of what it was back in 2007, transfer students that got squeezed out of OCI, etc. Everyone has a story and no one is considered "damaged goods." We are just now getting our first wave of applicants and there is a significant group of candidates that are currently summering. Applications will be accepted through this month and I anticipate seeing a solid mix of candidates.

As for the timing of the program, we chose to move it to the 3L year because we need to hire based on client demand and need and that is simply impossible to predict 2 years out. That system of speculative hiring was a big part of the collapse of the hiring market we have all seen over the past few years. By hiring based on need as opposed to historic class size predictions, we are able to ensure a more stable employment platform.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you comfortable with students private messaging you about their job searches or is this restricted to public questions only? Thank you for your answers so far! They have provided a wealth of insight into what recruiters look for!

Sure.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP,

I am considering getting a combined degree at Duke: JD & Masters in International Development Policy. The latter degree interests me for four reasons: 1.) I feel like a globalized marketplace lends itself to a broad understanding of development trends. 2.) Governments love to contract. and 3.) The program focuses on economic policies/problems in developing countries, as well as research analysis and public financial management, all of which are of really high interest to me, and 4.) The extra degree would be free.

I am wary of committing to a combined degree, however, because I fear that it might be seen as a detriment to firm recruiters. I would ideally like to work antitrust, soft IP, or litigation with a large firm initially, regardless of whether or not my second degree finds application in the focuses of X firm. Assuming good grades (which I realize is a lot to assume), would such a dual degree be seen as a negative?

Thanks

Personally I like dual degrees. Some of our best attorneys have a dual degree and it really helps the see another side of client matters. But that is just my opinion and I can't speak for other firms.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

There is plenty of healthcare work, including transactions, litigation and regulatory. As for the strong Nashville ties, it really depends on the firm. Some require more connection than others. I am not sure I would say our market is completely saturated . . .

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for this, would top 1/3 at MVP and being from the south cut it ?

Without seeing anything more specific about you or talking directly, I would say that would at least get you a conversation.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:52 pm

It is absolutely possible and I just recently hired such a lateral. You should network with people at firms in the market you want to be in and stay in touch with them. Contract attorney is another route to take. The firm can see your work ethic and get to know you. Then if a spot opens up you will be top of mind.

How important are law school grades for lateral hires or contract attorney slots?

Completely depends on what we are looking for (including group, level, etc.). Obviously the older and more experienced you are in practice, the less grades matter.

Return to “Legal Employment”