Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TNFSkier16

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby TNFSkier16 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 am

Do you have a school ranking cut-off that you won't accept any students from below this threshold?

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 am

What are some of the reasons summer associates were no offered at your firm after spending the summer with your firm?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:53 am

glewz wrote:This post is not for me, I'm asking for a friend.

What advice would you have for a candidate who is bottom 30% at Michigan/Virginia/Penn? (relating to bidding, general comments, chances at a decent paying firm job, etc.)

Thanks a lot for doing this.

Your friend will need to broaden their search to include smaller firms that s/he may have connections with. While larger firms are most likely not an option right now, they could work hard at a smaller firm and lateral in after they have experience and a larger network and reputation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 am

What does someone from a T2 who is below median but with moot court, journal membership, and a prestigious judicial internship do to get over their grades? Is it even worth it for them to look at mid-size or larger firms? Do firms look beyond the grades?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Rank the following in terms of value to you:

1) An engaging personality
2) Physical Attractiveness
3) Significant Big Business Experience
4) Entrepreneurial Business Experience
5) Chinese/Arabic Language Fluency
6) 1L Summer Associate Position
7) Great Grades
8) Interest in the firm

Thanks.

Hmm. Let's see:

1) An engaging personality - Very important
2) Physical Attractiveness - not that important
3) Significant Big Business Experience - a plus, but not required
4) Entrepreneurial Business Experience - a plus, but not required
5) Chinese/Arabic Language Fluency - not necessary at our firm
6) 1L Summer Associate Position - not important. I understand how hard these are to find. Just do SOMETHING
7) Great Grades - Very important
Interest in the firm - very important. An interesting point on this one though. Once you begin to interview with us, I view it as my job to give you more information about the firm that will continue your interest.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can you explain what it means to network with the goal of find out a job?

You want to meet as many people as possible and have as many conversations as possible. Eventually, you will end up meeting someone that knows someone that is hiring and will recommend you.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:Do you have a school ranking cut-off that you won't accept any students from below this threshold?

Generally won't go past top 1/3.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 am

Fantastic thread. Thanks so much!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am

solotee wrote:What are some of the reasons summer associates were no offered at your firm after spending the summer with your firm?

The biggest problem here is the length of the summer cycle. It is really hard for a business to predict out what our hiring needs are 2 years in advance and what practice areas will need new associates. If the end of summer comes and we don't feel like there will be enough work, we can't make offers.

Other than that, it is the obvious reasons. Some students make really poor decisions during a summer. I try to counsel them if they are making bad decisions, but if they don't listen, they don't listen.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:What does someone from a T2 who is below median but with moot court, journal membership, and a prestigious judicial internship do to get over their grades? Is it even worth it for them to look at mid-size or larger firms? Do firms look beyond the grades?

There are times that we will look past grades if there are personal connections and compelling reasons.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:15 am

Does your firm have a cut off for ranking of school, i.e. at what point do academic credentials become outweighed by the relative prestige of the school?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:19 am

hds2388 wrote:Does your firm have a cut off for ranking of school, i.e. at what point do academic credentials become outweighed by the relative prestige of the school?

School ranking is considered but we have no real cut off. A student that is top of class at state school will probably do better than a student in the middle to bottom of class at a top ranked school.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
solotee wrote:What are some of the reasons summer associates were no offered at your firm after spending the summer with your firm?

The biggest problem here is the length of the summer cycle. It is really hard for a business to predict out what our hiring needs are 2 years in advance and what practice areas will need new associates. If the end of summer comes and we don't feel like there will be enough work, we can't make offers.

Other than that, it is the obvious reasons. Some students make really poor decisions during a summer. I try to counsel them if they are making bad decisions, but if they don't listen, they don't listen.

Can you elaborate on what kinds of poor decisions people make as a summer that can lead to a no offer?

Fantastic thread by the way, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:24 am

How does your firm view having played a major Varsity Sport in Undergrad?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Can you elaborate on what kinds of poor decisions people make as a summer that can lead to a no offer?

Hmm. Let's see, just off the top of my head:

1. Drunk at events
2. Skip work the next day because drunk at previous event
3. Treat staff poorly
4. Dress inappropriately (ladies, really watch those skirts please)
5. Don't finish a project and don't tell the attorney why
6. Act like you are entitled to a position and that you are the smartest person in the world
7. Turn down projects multiple times when I know that you are only working on one thing
8. Tell the attorneys you are too busy to help them
9. Tell the attorneys that need help that you really are not that interested in their area and would prefer to do something else

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:How does your firm view having played a major Varsity Sport in Undergrad?

Very favorably. The practice of law is a team sport and law school does nothing to teach you teamwork. Some of our best attorneys are former athletes because they understand how to work together towards a goal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:31 am

How do secondary journals, law review, or moot court play into your initial screening process? Will they help someone who is below your cut-off or are they really considered window-dressing?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do secondary journals, law review, or moot court play into your initial screening process? Will they help someone who is below your cut-off or are they really considered window-dressing?

I like them, especially if they are targeted towards a specific area that the student is interested in. Also shows that you can balance multiple commitments (school and journal) at the same time. Litigators also really like to see moot court experience.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 am

Kilpatrick wrote:

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 am

When contacting firms that won't be coming to campus for OCI, is it preferred that a student email the recruiter with the resume/cover letter or send an actual hard copy? Is it unfavorable to do both?

Also, what are some of the better questions to ask the interviewer? I know that's a critical part of the interview, but it always seems to me that you run the risk of appearing to not be well-researched (by asking basic questions).

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks a lot for answering our questions. I have two more:

1) Are there particular anti social behaviors in interviews which commonly eliminate qualified people?

2) What are some things you commonly see on resumes which should be left off?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:01 am

Thank you so much for starting such a great thread.

Firms usually say how important diversity is to them and they actively look for diverse candidates. However, when you look through these firms, you hardly see any minorities. Are firms just saying they care about diversity without really taking the time to actively look for promising miniority candidates? Does your firm look past the top of a class if the candidate is a minority and can bring a fresh perspective to the table?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:18 am

theantiscalia wrote:When contacting firms that won't be coming to campus for OCI, is it preferred that a student email the recruiter with the resume/cover letter or send an actual hard copy? Is it unfavorable to do both?

Also, what are some of the better questions to ask the interviewer? I know that's a critical part of the interview, but it always seems to me that you run the risk of appearing to not be well-researched (by asking basic questions).

I prefer e-mail but both is fine also.

Questions for interviewer:
Why did you choose to be a lawyer?
What do you like about being a lawyer?
Tell me about your typical day.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Thanks a lot for answering our questions. I have two more:

1) Are there particular anti social behaviors in interviews which commonly eliminate qualified people?

2) What are some things you commonly see on resumes which should be left off?

Hmm. Anti social behaviors. Really hard to define other than just the "odd" factors. Don't make inappropriate jokes, don't pick your nose (yes, this really happened in an interview), don't be so nervous that you forget this is supposed to be a conversation.

As for resumes, especially for students, don't put objective statements. I know that your objective is to obtain a rewarding position in a law firm that will give you the opportunity to stretch your excellent legal mind . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:When contacting firms that won't be coming to campus for OCI, is it preferred that a student email the recruiter with the resume/cover letter or send an actual hard copy? Is it unfavorable to do both?

I prefer e-mail but both is fine also.

Questions for interviewer:
What do you like about being a lawyer?
Tell me about your typical day.

I find this question a real challenge in particular. I choose law b/c it pays better(supposly) than my previous job, and gives me the tools to help ppl (if such occasion ever rises). LFR, can you give us some "good" answers you have came across to such questions?

Return to “Legal Employment”