Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any advice you could give to a transfer student trying to secure a job, or a callback? Is there anything in particular a transfer would need to emphasize more so than a non-transfer? (moved up from T2 to top 25)

Also... smaller question is it worth it to put "Invited to Law Review" under your old school on your resume?


You will need to be able to answer why you transferred and why you chose your first school originally. Other than that, you will be in the same boat as everyone else (at least in my opinion.)

As to question 2, yes, it looks good to see that you were invited to the law review.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would you react to a public intoxication charge that was subsequently dismissed? Particularly if it occurred within the past eighteen months?


I would look for other potential red flags and would ask you about what happened. As long as you are COMPLETELY honest about it and there is no track record of poor judgment/conduct, you would be fine.

I cannot stress enough that all applicants need to be completely candid and honest about things like this. While we can work with you on issues like this that arise, we cannot and will not hire you if you lie on the application (i.e. if you skip the section that asks if you have ever been arrested . . . ) Don't take the chance that we won't find it. I hate making the phone call to ask "are you SURE you completed the application and there is nothing else you would like to add?"

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First off, this has been a great resource, we really appreciate your time. I've got a ? in regards to nepotism/family history. A close relative of mine (think father/mother/uncle) worked for several large firms in the city I'm going to be practicing in (hopefully, depending on OCI etc). That relative branched off and formed their own boutique firm about 10 years ago. Should I bring up family ties to the firm during my interview even though they are no longer a part of the firm? Would this give me a bonus, or since they are long gone should I not bring it up at all given the fact that I dont know how well liked this person was throughout the firm (to my knowledge there were not any major issues with other attorneys upon them leaving the firm, and he/she is generally well respected and liked). I think it could help a bit, but could also end up hurting me depending on how I approach it. Have you dealt with this in the past? Thanks!


Probably not a good idea to bring it up if they are no longer with the firm and it has been a long time. You run the risk of making the interviewer feel uncomfortable that they did not know this person. I would suggest that you have your relative reach out to any contacts they may still have and network the relationship that way.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For a 3L doing a mass mailing, how do you approach firms with multiple offices? I have a hunch, but wanted to confirm:

If each office has it's own recruiting coordinator, then I'm assuming separate letters for each city? (And as a follow-up, when, if ever, would I tell the office of one firm that I've also been talking with another city's office?)

What if several offices all list the same recruiting coordinator on NALP? I'm assuming one letter expressing my interest in multiple offices, rather than a separate letter for each city that all go to the same person?


Really impossible for me to answer this one as I am the only recruiter for my firm and do not have an issue with students applying to different people. I would hate to give you the wrong advice here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Another 3L mass mailing question...

In a cover letter, how should I mention an interview for a city I don't otherwise have any plans to visit?

If I'm not going to be in the state, do I just mention "I'd be available for an interview at your convenience," do I specify a "phone or video interview", or do I actually need to make myself available to fly to the city in question?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:59 am

First things first - thanks for doing this!

I'm at a 40-50 range west coast law school. I'm doing targeted mailings to NYC firms, and I'm trying to find firms that have an alumnus from my school there, just to try to get some type of edge. Would you recommend e-mailing that person first to say hi, see how the firm is, ask if they're hiring? Would you recommend mailing the recruiting contact first, then the alumnus? What's the best way to put my name out there in that sense if you don't mind me asking.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 am

1) If a candidate has litigated a major case pro se, and negotiated a six-figure settlement, should he put it on his resume.

2) If a candidate has a dearth of work experience in the three years prior to entering law school because of litigating said case would that hurt his/her chances?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:28 am

Previous work experience. Trilingual. Excellent reviews from V100 partners. 1L biglaw internship.

Median at T2. Am I dead (at places other than where I am now)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 am

Hi, thanks for doing this!

My questions: I have pretty bad credit right now. I have it under control and am taking all actions to repair it, but it is what it is. It's from a combination of three things: 1) forgetting some (a lot of) payments when I was completely immersed in a life-consuming job a few years ago, 2) a BAD case of documented identity theft two years ago, and 3) more recently helping my parents with a financial situation at the cost of my credit score. Like I said, I am now current on payments and am working to remedy everything. That being said, how will law firms look at that? I'm currently an 0L, so I'll have a few years of scheduled payments behind me, but I'm still worried. Also, do firms research family members? My parents are not the most financially capable people out there (but wonderful and successful in many other ways).

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:What does your firm do to address quality of life issues? Work/life balance? How much paternity leave do fathers get? As much as women? How much paternity leave do men actually take vis-a-vis the amount of maternity leave that women take?


We do a lot on the work/life issue.

We have flex schedules and different on and off track positions that both men and women are eligible for and attorneys can move between tracks depending on their needs. We really work hard with each individual to make sure they are progressing and meeting family/personal needs. Don't know the specifics of paternity leave (not my department) but I know we have one.


Along those lines, how would you react to an interviewee asking about maternity leave options in a call back interview? I am only 23 but I forsee having kids by my late 20s and I would want to be at a firm with generous leave. Would it be weird to ask, making me seem like I'm not that interested in working?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Another 3L mass mailing question...

In a cover letter, how should I mention an interview for a city I don't otherwise have any plans to visit?

If I'm not going to be in the state, do I just mention "I'd be available for an interview at your convenience," do I specify a "phone or video interview", or do I actually need to make myself available to fly to the city in question?


You can just state that you are available to interview at the firm's convenience. They will take it from there and should help you with your travel arrangements.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33 am

I'm doing 3L OCI. Many of my friends who have firm SA jobs are planning to register for 3L OCI until they get an offer, but will cancel all their interviews once they get one (they can cancel up to the day of OCI). However, our formal add/drop period, when we can add open interviews that others have dropped, is only about a day long and there is a long time between that and OCI when many students will probably receive offers and cancel interviews.

Since my classmates will probably get interviews for firms I have bid on, would it be a good idea to contact the recruiter after the add/drop period and ask to be added to the interview schedule if another interviewee does cancel? I don't know how much control recruiters have over the interviewing schedule. Should I also attach my resume?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:First things first - thanks for doing this!

I'm at a 40-50 range west coast law school. I'm doing targeted mailings to NYC firms, and I'm trying to find firms that have an alumnus from my school there, just to try to get some type of edge. Would you recommend e-mailing that person first to say hi, see how the firm is, ask if they're hiring? Would you recommend mailing the recruiting contact first, then the alumnus? What's the best way to put my name out there in that sense if you don't mind me asking.


I would reach out to the alumni first. Then they can help you navigate the recruiting process and get your name to the appropriate people.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:35 am

PDaddy wrote:1) If a candidate has litigated a major case pro se, and negotiated a six-figure settlement, should he put it on his resume.

2) If a candidate has a dearth of work experience in the three years prior to entering law school because of litigating said case would that hurt his/her chances?


Interesting experience but you will need to be able to back this up. At the least, cite the case so the recruiters and firms won't think you are using puffery . . .

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Previous work experience. Trilingual. Excellent reviews from V100 partners. 1L biglaw internship.

Median at T2. Am I dead (at places other than where I am now)?


I certainly don't think so! You should begin networking now and using those good reviews. You will be fine.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, thanks for doing this!

My questions: I have pretty bad credit right now. I have it under control and am taking all actions to repair it, but it is what it is. It's from a combination of three things: 1) forgetting some (a lot of) payments when I was completely immersed in a life-consuming job a few years ago, 2) a BAD case of documented identity theft two years ago, and 3) more recently helping my parents with a financial situation at the cost of my credit score. Like I said, I am now current on payments and am working to remedy everything. That being said, how will law firms look at that? I'm currently an 0L, so I'll have a few years of scheduled payments behind me, but I'm still worried. Also, do firms research family members? My parents are not the most financially capable people out there (but wonderful and successful in many other ways).

Thanks!


Don't stress about this. Firms will not research your family members. Firms will look to see that you have a plan in place to improve and pay your debt. Just be prepared to explain what happened and show that you are moving in the right direction.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:What does your firm do to address quality of life issues? Work/life balance? How much paternity leave do fathers get? As much as women? How much paternity leave do men actually take vis-a-vis the amount of maternity leave that women take?


We do a lot on the work/life issue.

We have flex schedules and different on and off track positions that both men and women are eligible for and attorneys can move between tracks depending on their needs. We really work hard with each individual to make sure they are progressing and meeting family/personal needs. Don't know the specifics of paternity leave (not my department) but I know we have one.


Along those lines, how would you react to an interviewee asking about maternity leave options in a call back interview? I am only 23 but I forsee having kids by my late 20s and I would want to be at a firm with generous leave. Would it be weird to ask, making me seem like I'm not that interested in working?


I would not ask this question so directly as it may send the wrong impression - ie you are not serious about a long term career with the firm. You can ask generally about benefits, flex arrangements, etc.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Just wanted to say thanks again for doing this. It's pretty awesome of you to take the time to do this, and you're really helping us out.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:13 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I'm doing 3L OCI. Many of my friends who have firm SA jobs are planning to register for 3L OCI until they get an offer, but will cancel all their interviews once they get one (they can cancel up to the day of OCI). However, our formal add/drop period, when we can add open interviews that others have dropped, is only about a day long and there is a long time between that and OCI when many students will probably receive offers and cancel interviews.

Since my classmates will probably get interviews for firms I have bid on, would it be a good idea to contact the recruiter after the add/drop period and ask to be added to the interview schedule if another interviewee does cancel? I don't know how much control recruiters have over the interviewing schedule. Should I also attach my resume?


Depends on the firm. I have control over the schedules so in my case, it would be best to send me your information and include your resume. I would start reaching out to those recruiters and firms proactively now. If you know they are coming for 3L OCI, you should start marketing yourself to them at the earliest time possible. In my world, the squeaky wheel definitely gets heard first . . .

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm

NYC Law wrote:Just wanted to say thanks again for doing this. It's pretty awesome of you to take the time to do this, and you're really helping us out.


Happy to help. You are all in a tough spot and I hope getting info from the other side gives you a little perspective along the way.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27949
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Kronk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Is it acceptable to ask a law firm interviewer about his / her feelings about coworkers? i.e. do you enjoy the people you work with, etc.?

Also, is it normal for an interviewee to express interest in a field that he / she doesn't have much expertise in? For example, if you think you might want to work for renewable energy companies and the law firm has a department for that type of thing, is it worth mentioning that environmental law and renewable energy is something I'm interested in and I plan to get more involved in those issues during 2L and 3L years?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7236
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Kronk wrote:Is it acceptable to ask a law firm interviewer about his / her feelings about coworkers? i.e. do you enjoy the people you work with, etc.?

Also, is it normal for an interviewee to express interest in a field that he / she doesn't have much expertise in? For example, if you think you might want to work for renewable energy companies and the law firm has a department for that type of thing, is it worth mentioning that environmental law and renewable energy is something I'm interested in and I plan to get more involved in those issues during 2L and 3L years?

I asked this a few pages back, just FYI.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27949
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Kronk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Kronk wrote:Is it acceptable to ask a law firm interviewer about his / her feelings about coworkers? i.e. do you enjoy the people you work with, etc.?

Also, is it normal for an interviewee to express interest in a field that he / she doesn't have much expertise in? For example, if you think you might want to work for renewable energy companies and the law firm has a department for that type of thing, is it worth mentioning that environmental law and renewable energy is something I'm interested in and I plan to get more involved in those issues during 2L and 3L years?

I asked this a few pages back, just FYI.


k disregard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

What if a candidate was charged with misdemeanor theft while in highschool, completed a diversionary program, and the charges were dropped? Assume between 4 and 5 years have passed.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if a candidate was charged with misdemeanor theft while in highschool, completed a diversionary program, and the charges were dropped? Assume between 4 and 5 years have passed.


Be completely honest about it on your application. You don't need to go into great detail - just say what happened and how it was resolved. A misdemeanor in high school is not that big of a problem - especially if you completed a diversionary program. Firms understand people make mistakes. Just don't make the biggest mistake of lying about it. I absolutely will not hire someone that withholds information or lies on an application.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.