Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mjitbswyd

Bronze

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Post by mjitbswyd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:Thank you for the thread.

I am working at a biglaw at one of its overseas office (1L summer). Will you ask whether they offered me to come back next summer? Should I ask the managing partner to write a letter saying we had a mutual understanding before the job began that I would not come back so they did not plan to offer me from the beginning (which is true)?

thank you
I would probably ask if you are planning to go back to your 1L firm, if not overseas, then to an office here in the States. If you say no, I will want to know why.
Thanks! Just to clarify, so I don't have to worry about the no-offer then?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Danteshek wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:What do you think of lawyers with big/strong personalities? Sometimes I feel like I need to tone it down to fit in (lawyers are dull).
Completely depends on the practice group you are interested in. We have a couple of groups that would scare a wall flower to death and others that would never be able to handle a big personality. My guess is that you are leaning towards litigation??
Yes, litigation. I have a bit of ADD as well
An ADD loud litigator ... Sounds like a perfect BigLaw match! You'll be fine ... 8)

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:Thank you for the thread.

I am working at a biglaw at one of its overseas office (1L summer). Will you ask whether they offered me to come back next summer? Should I ask the managing partner to write a letter saying we had a mutual understanding before the job began that I would not come back so they did not plan to offer me from the beginning (which is true)?

thank you
I would probably ask if you are planning to go back to your 1L firm, if not overseas, then to an office here in the States. If you say no, I will want to know why.
Thanks! Just to clarify, so I don't have to worry about the no-offer then?
Nope. Just be prepared to answer honestly if you are asked.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:23 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:What do you think of lawyers with big/strong personalities? Sometimes I feel like I need to tone it down to fit in (lawyers are dull).
Completely depends on the practice group you are interested in. We have a couple of groups that would scare a wall flower to death and others that would never be able to handle a big personality. My guess is that you are leaning towards litigation??
Yes, litigation. I have a bit of ADD as well
An ADD loud litigator ... Sounds like a perfect BigLaw match! You'll be fine ... 8)
Not big law. I don't have the grades or the SA. I'm going into plaintiff work. I want to represent whistleblowers... maybe securities class actions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Contrary to popular belief, isn't what you during during 1L summer and before you begin 2L pretty important? I'm aware of the challenges this economy presents, but still. Almost like a "boost" for candidacy (depending on what you did) OCI come August?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:32 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
teem705 wrote:For 3Ls, is the time to apply to firms the July before 3L year, or in the spring when we're about to graduate?

I know of some 3Ls from the class of 2011 at my school getting picked up by big firms right around when they're about to take the bar. And this would make sense with what you said about the broken hiring model- hiring when there's a need.

Thanks!
Timing for 3L hiring really depends on the firm. Unless the firm specifically hires from the 3L class for it's incoming associates (like mine), your best bet is to start sending letters and contacting firms in January of your third year. Firms will have set annual budgets and know where the gaps for 3Ls are at that time. The next wave for 3Ls happens right around now, after graduation during bar season.
When the firm decides it wants to hire 3Ls, say in January, do they go back to a file of current 3Ls who mailed earlier, or do they start with the people who have mailed them more recently?

Also, would you say more firms coming to 3L OCI are only interested in hiring 3Ls who worked at a firm the summer before and are looking to move firms, or more are willing to hire people who did not do a 2L SA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As far as the diversity boost goes, what if an applicant is half-URM, half-white, half-black/half-white, half-asian/half-white, but looks white? How does that affect your decision?
As far as how the candidate would be classified for diversity purposes, I suppose it would depend on how the student self-selects. We don't have diversity quotas, so I'm not sure what you mean by this question or what you are looking for. Please clarify.
I'm a different poster but I'm in a very similar situation and I understand what the first person is trying to get at. I am half-white, half-Hispanic. Due to my father being white, I have a white last name but a relatively Hispanic first name. White people assume I am white and Hispanic people assume I am Hispanic.

The running joke within minority student groups at my school is that if you are hired by a law firm you need to be ready to show up in brochures touting the firm's commitment to diversity. The implication being that firms like to show off their diverse employees. However, mixed race students such as the OP and myself wonder if our "diversity" is worth as much to a firm given that we legitimately pass off as being white.

I understand this may come off like a silly issue, and I'm only speaking for myself here, but mixed race individuals face a slightly different battle in our society. Oftentimes, some minorities aren't as accepting of mixed race individuals, especially those individuals whose appearance may allow them to pass off as white. At the same time, you never truly feel white.

On a slightly related note, my family lived in Latin America until I was eight years old and I was raised in a bilingual household. I speak both languages natively. I can power my way through a Spanish document but I can't write in Spanish. Is it worth noting on my resume that I am conversational in Spanish or will that only serve to highlight that I can't write in Spanish?
OP Here. This is exactly my question. I'm culturally identified with being a URM and am half, but many whites just assume I'm white. Do firms, or your firm in particular, hire URMs because they add to the stats or because their picture can be taken?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
teem705 wrote:For 3Ls, is the time to apply to firms the July before 3L year, or in the spring when we're about to graduate?

I know of some 3Ls from the class of 2011 at my school getting picked up by big firms right around when they're about to take the bar. And this would make sense with what you said about the broken hiring model- hiring when there's a need.

Thanks!
Timing for 3L hiring really depends on the firm. Unless the firm specifically hires from the 3L class for it's incoming associates (like mine), your best bet is to start sending letters and contacting firms in January of your third year. Firms will have set annual budgets and know where the gaps for 3Ls are at that time. The next wave for 3Ls happens right around now, after graduation during bar season.
When the firm decides it wants to hire 3Ls, say in January, do they go back to a file of current 3Ls who mailed earlier, or do they start with the people who have mailed them more recently?

Also, would you say more firms coming to 3L OCI are only interested in hiring 3Ls who worked at a firm the summer before and are looking to move firms, or more are willing to hire people who did not do a 2L SA?
If I were looking at 3Ls in January, I would start with the more recent people on the assumption that the earlier ones probably landed somewhere else. Also, the squeaky wheel principle applies in this situation.

We are hiring 3Ls this fall outside OCI altogether so it is hard to say what others are looking for. We look for solid candidates that want to work in our firm in our city. while I will look at what you did over the summer, I am also considering what an awful market you are facing. Some candidates we accept will have worked in firms, some will not.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As far as the diversity boost goes, what if an applicant is half-URM, half-white, half-black/half-white, half-asian/half-white, but looks white? How does that affect your decision?
As far as how the candidate would be classified for diversity purposes, I suppose it would depend on how the student self-selects. We don't have diversity quotas, so I'm not sure what you mean by this question or what you are looking for. Please clarify.
I'm a different poster but I'm in a very similar situation and I understand what the first person is trying to get at. I am half-white, half-Hispanic. Due to my father being white, I have a white last name but a relatively Hispanic first name. White people assume I am white and Hispanic people assume I am Hispanic.

The running joke within minority student groups at my school is that if you are hired by a law firm you need to be ready to show up in brochures touting the firm's commitment to diversity. The implication being that firms like to show off their diverse employees. However, mixed race students such as the OP and myself wonder if our "diversity" is worth as much to a firm given that we legitimately pass off as being white.

I understand this may come off like a silly issue, and I'm only speaking for myself here, but mixed race individuals face a slightly different battle in our society. Oftentimes, some minorities aren't as accepting of mixed race individuals, especially those individuals whose appearance may allow them to pass off as white. At the same time, you never truly feel white.

On a slightly related note, my family lived in Latin America until I was eight years old and I was raised in a bilingual household. I speak both languages natively. I can power my way through a Spanish document but I can't write in Spanish. Is it worth noting on my resume that I am conversational in Spanish or will that only serve to highlight that I can't write in Spanish?
OP Here. This is exactly my question. I'm culturally identified with being a URM and am half, but many whites just assume I'm white. Do firms, or your firm in particular, hire URMs because they add to the stats or because their picture can be taken?
We hire all candidates for their qualification and value they will bring to our clients and the firm - not for a photo op.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 pm

I am covered in tattoos from my hands to my toes. Nothing on my neck/face/head. Everything is covered up in long sleeves except for the hands. I'm not weird or creepy though, I promise. How unfavorably, if at all, is this viewed?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am covered in tattoos from my hands to my toes. Nothing on my neck/face/head. Everything is covered up in long sleeves except for the hands. I'm not weird or creepy though, I promise. How unfavorably, if at all, is this viewed?
Seriously? Probably depends on how conservative the culture of the firms you are interviewing with are.

robert85

New

Post by robert85 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

any tips for discovering firms to apply to in smaller legal markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:57 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am covered in tattoos from my hands to my toes. Nothing on my neck/face/head. Everything is covered up in long sleeves except for the hands. I'm not weird or creepy though, I promise. How unfavorably, if at all, is this viewed?
Seriously? Probably depends on how conservative the culture of the firms you are interviewing with are.
Unfortunately, yes, seriously. I haven't had any work done in almost 10 years. Got it all very young, and very quickly. I've considered laser removal at least for my hands, since I could easily keep the rest hidden. Surprisingly, I've worked in management for a top 10 ranked (and no, not Wal Mart) Fortune 500 company for the past several years. I'm no stranger to having to overcome this perceived obstacle, but was just curious if that obstacle is substantially larger pursuing a legal career.

Thanks for the great thread!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, seriously. I haven't had any work done in almost 10 years. Got it all very young, and very quickly. I've considered laser removal at least for my hands, since I could easily keep the rest hidden. Surprisingly, I've worked in management for a top 10 ranked (and no, not Wal Mart) Fortune 500 company for the past several years. I'm no stranger to having to overcome this perceived obstacle, but was just curious if that obstacle is substantially larger pursuing a legal career.

Get your hands lasered pronto. I've got about 20% of my body tattooed; nothing shows in a long sleeve shirt, but if and when people find out the reaction varies between negative and offended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Get your hands lasered pronto. I've got about 20% of my body tattooed; nothing shows in a long sleeve shirt, but if and when people find out the reaction varies between negative and offended.
Ok, good to know, thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 pm

robert85 wrote:any tips for discovering firms to apply to in smaller legal markets?
Start with Martindale.com. You can search by location and firm size. Then plain legal research on West or Lexis - look for courts fist and see who has the largest number of cases, etc.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

You probably need toat least consider having your hand tags removed. Again, it depends on the firms you are interviewing with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:19 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

You probably need toat least consider having your hand tags removed. Again, it depends on the firms you are interviewing with.
Ok, thanks! I'm not at all adverse to having them removed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Contrary to popular belief, isn't what you during during 1L summer and before you begin 2L pretty important? I'm aware of the challenges this economy presents, but still. Almost like a "boost" for candidacy (depending on what you did) OCI come August?
+1. I would like to know the answer to this too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks for a great thread!

I am top 5% at a T1 in DC. I know DC SA positions are very competitive and that you have to come across as having a connection to the city. Besides attending law school in DC, I also worked there for 2 years prior. In addition, my long-term b/f is a DC native (rare) and works here.

My question is: as a 25 year-old female, should I be mentioning my boyfriend? The only reason I would is to drive home my connection to DC for the long-term, because "our" plan is to stay here.

Also, if/when we receive an interview, is in inappropriate at that point to contact law alumni at that firm to talk about the interview? Or, should these contacts happen before interviewees are selected and informed?

Thank you!

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Contrary to popular belief, isn't what you during during 1L summer and before you begin 2L pretty important? I'm aware of the challenges this economy presents, but still. Almost like a "boost" for candidacy (depending on what you did) OCI come August?
+1. I would like to know the answer to this too.
It certainly can help. It is just not as mandatory as it used to be. Just try to do something in the legal industry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for a great thread!

I am top 5% at a T1 in DC. I know DC SA positions are very competitive and that you have to come across as having a connection to the city. Besides attending law school in DC, I also worked there for 2 years prior. In addition, my long-term b/f is a DC native (rare) and works here.

My question is: as a 25 year-old female, should I be mentioning my boyfriend? The only reason I would is to drive home my connection to DC for the long-term, because "our" plan is to stay here.

Also, if/when we receive an interview, is in inappropriate at that point to contact law alumni at that firm to talk about the interview? Or, should these contacts happen before interviewees are selected and informed?

Thank you!
Sounds like you make a pretty solid case for DC connection all on your own! You can include info about your BF but I wouldn't press that too much.

As for alumni, I would suggest contacting them early and often. Sometimes it takes a while to have the recommendation or information get to the right people. HTH

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I am an older student with an unusual former career. I like my two page resume. Career services says get it to a page. Who's right?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Renzo wrote:I am an older student with an unusual former career. I like my two page resume. Career services says get it to a page. Who's right?
If you have something to say, say it in as much space as it takes. One page rule applies to those without much experience. If you have prior work experience though you should definitely include it. Use your cover letter to connect the dots as to why you decided to pursue your JD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Do screening interviewers make CB decisions on the spot (after seeing the GPA and determining the candidate is socially normal), or do they bring their notes back to the firm where the hiring partner/committee eventually makes the decision based on the qualification and overall firm needs?

Also, if I have a contact in the firm (former partner), how do I take advantage of that? Do I put this person's name in the reference list and attach it to the resume, or do I simply ask the person to call the firm or do whatever he can? And if the latter is appropriate, at what point do I ask for the favor?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”