Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
glitched

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby glitched » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:50 pm

i am a biology major without any interest in patent. i have been doing a bit of research and am so far interested in tax, but we will see in law school. i feel like i am an "undeclared jd." but anyway, back to the point - will my major hurt me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

How would you view a PT student who continues with pre-LS employment rather than finding legal related work for the 1E and 2E summers? Participating in OCI for a SA position for my 3E summer (yes, I will quit my job). Assume Top 10% and LR at a T1 school; 5-10 years WE for the same F500 company that I started working at immediately after undergrad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Rising 3L in the top 1/3 at a T2 in a major market. This summer I'm doing paid public interest work and my supervisor and the attorneys I work with are very happy with my work product. However, rumor has it that my employer is not going to be offering anyone a full-time position for after graduation because they don't have the money. What should I do now to find a position for after graduation? Cold-email alumni at firms I want to work at and ask for informational interviews? Resume bomb all of the firms in my market?

Any advice would be appreciated.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

Due to my personal family situation (many dependents, laid off), I have a substantial amount of credit card debt.

I have been able to make consistent payments on my debt with no late payments, even though it has affected my credit score due to high utilization.

Despite trying to pay this substantial debt down, it's not possible for me to do so since I'm in law school and can't hold a full time job. Despite of all this, I am making on time payments. Other than having a lot of debt, I have no major negatives on my credit report (I have no collections, foreclosures, reposessions, etc.)

Will having a substantial amount of credit card debt and below average credit score affect my chances of employment at a firm like yours or any large firm? Should I disclose the reasons for my credit card debt?

Thanks!

I don't think you need to go into details about your credit score unless asked. Even though you have a lot of debt, it is huge that you are keeping current on payments.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering how firms will look at my situation. After undergrad, I worked for an accounting firm for 2 years and got my CPA. I realized that I wanted to go to law school, and got a year of work experience at a boutique criminal law firm. How would law firms look at my situation if I want to go into corporate law (M&A, securities etc)? Would they look as favorably upon my CPA as I hope? I'm starting at a high T2 in august. Thanks!

Our firm would look favorably. You have been in a real job in both an accounting firm and a law firm. Very good experience and a good start for your career. Your CPA will help with the business perspectives of your future clients.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L with below median grades from T6. What can I do to increase my chance of getting a biglaw job during OCI?
Thanks.

Network with attorneys and alumni in your target market.

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:28 am

How would your person look at a person who did JAG for a few years after law school but was still relatively young after his/her commitment (29 - 30)? Is that sort of hiring possible?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:28 am

glitched wrote:i am a biology major without any interest in patent. i have been doing a bit of research and am so far interested in tax, but we will see in law school. i feel like i am an "undeclared jd." but anyway, back to the point - will my major hurt me?

I don't think so. I don't generally focus on what type of undergrad major a candidate has.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:How would you view a PT student who continues with pre-LS employment rather than finding legal related work for the 1E and 2E summers? Participating in OCI for a SA position for my 3E summer (yes, I will quit my job). Assume Top 10% and LR at a T1 school; 5-10 years WE for the same F500 company that I started working at immediately after undergrad.

Hmmm. I've never seen a candidate like this before, but assuming grades are good, I would look to see what kind of work you have been doing and see if it translated well for what we are looking for. Shouldn't be a negative though.

boalt2l

Postby boalt2l » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 am

Can you settle another thread's debate: Submit all materials in one PDF file or seperate PDF file for resume CL transcript Writing Sample References?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L in the top 1/3 at a T2 in a major market. This summer I'm doing paid public interest work and my supervisor and the attorneys I work with are very happy with my work product. However, rumor has it that my employer is not going to be offering anyone a full-time position for after graduation because they don't have the money. What should I do now to find a position for after graduation? Cold-email alumni at firms I want to work at and ask for informational interviews? Resume bomb all of the firms in my market?

Any advice would be appreciated.

First of all, don't listen to rumors. If you think you might not receive an offer because of the financial position of the group go talk to your supervisor. You need to know what your situation really is before you begin to panic.

To enter the 3L market, I'll say it again. Network with alumni at firms in your desired market. Search NALP directory for firms that hire 3Ls.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:36 am

tothePAIN wrote:How would your person look at a person who did JAG for a few years after law school but was still relatively young after his/her commitment (29 - 30)? Is that sort of hiring possible?

I haven't seen it before but would certainly consider. You have learned very valuable skills with JAG that would serve you well in a firm.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 am

boalt2l wrote:Can you settle another thread's debate: Submit all materials in one PDF file or seperate PDF file for resume CL transcript Writing Sample References?

I prefer them separately, but that is just me. I like to have separate files because I use different documents for different reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 am

I am working as a 1L SA for the top firm in a currently hot international market. Would it be pretentious to refer to the firm on my resume as "(Country)'s top firm" so that firms know that it was extremely hard to get into and the work was for big clients? Also, how much would this type of work give me a boost?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am working as a 1L SA for the top firm in a currently hot international market. Would it be pretentious to refer to the firm on my resume as "(Country)'s top firm" so that firms know that it was extremely hard to get into and the work was for big clients? Also, how much would this type of work give me a boost?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am working as a 1L SA for the top firm in a currently hot international market. Would it be pretentious to refer to the firm on my resume as "(Country)'s top firm" so that firms know that it was extremely hard to get into and the work was for big clients? Also, how much would this type of work give me a boost?

Yeah, you should probably also write "world's best law student" after your name, just so they know how amazing you really are...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 am

Does your job have good pay and benefits? Did you apply for this job straight out of law school? How does one get a job like yours after law school? thank you so much for answering questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:08 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

Due to my personal family situation (many dependents, laid off), I have a substantial amount of credit card debt.

I have been able to make consistent payments on my debt with no late payments, even though it has affected my credit score due to high utilization.

Despite trying to pay this substantial debt down, it's not possible for me to do so since I'm in law school and can't hold a full time job. Despite of all this, I am making on time payments. Other than having a lot of debt, I have no major negatives on my credit report (I have no collections, foreclosures, reposessions, etc.)

Will having a substantial amount of credit card debt and below average credit score affect my chances of employment at a firm like yours or any large firm? Should I disclose the reasons for my credit card debt?

Thanks!

I don't think you need to go into details about your credit score unless asked. Even though you have a lot of debt, it is huge that you are keeping current on payments.

Thank you for your help on my question. I was wonder if this situation will raise a red flag during background checks and will affect my chances of employment at your firm?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am

Yes it would be pretentious. If it is a top firm, everyone should know it by name and reputation. I would suggest just listing it like any other employer and list under it the type of work you did. Again, if it is a "top firm" we will know what type of clients they have.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you for your help on my question. I was wonder if this situation will raise a red flag during background checks and will affect my chances of employment at your firm?

If everything else checks out, your references are good, and you are a good fit with the firm, it should not be a problem. There are many factors that go into a candidate's acceptance and credit checks are just one.

adevotchka

Postby adevotchka » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:11 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
AP-375 wrote:How important is Linkedin? Do you view profiles for any candidates, and what do you look for that might not be on the resume?
Thanks for the great info!

Not really all that important for students - more so for laterals. But. Be aware that I do look at all social media sites for all candidates.

When you look at candidates' facebooks/linkedins, are you looking just to check that they don't have any glaring red flags (i.e. beer bong photos, anything raunchy, etc) or do use them at all in your hiring practice (to get a better picture of the individual)? I've come to the conclusion that my PE firm likes to see a vanilla facebook page instead of no facebook/private one--what's your take on this? Thanks!

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:17 pm

I'd also like your thoughts on the facebook page question. I maintain a private facebook page so that only my friends have access to it. Is this a poor decision?

Also can you speak to whether or not a whole resume gets reviewed or if its a GPA and done kind of thing? Or is it more situational, i.e. GPA >= X gets a total review while GPA < X gets scrapped immediately.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Is there anything, other than getting the best grades possible, that a 1L can do to stand out? What do you recommend?
Thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Aston2412 wrote:I'd also like your thoughts on the facebook page question. I maintain a private facebook page so that only my friends have access to it. Is this a poor decision?

Also can you speak to whether or not a whole resume gets reviewed or if its a GPA and done kind of thing? Or is it more situational, i.e. GPA >= X gets a total review while GPA < X gets scrapped immediately.

Actually I think having a private Facebook page shows good judgment. Obviously people want to use social media sites to share information about themselves with their family and friends and we don't want to stop that. It is just HOW you use those sites that I look at. Keep personal things private.

As for the resume, the whole resume gets reviewed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:13 pm

lawfirmrecruiter, What about age in hiring for IP/patent law. I am considering applying to law school but willbe 49 when I graduate. I will have two master from a reputable medical school. One in biomedical sciences and the other in public health. I also qualify to practice patent law in front of the USTPO under their scenarios. Will firms shy away from hiring me because of age assuming I did get into a good law school?

Return to “Legal Employment”