Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:15 pm

well here is a question for fathers day. the last couple of years have been pretty tough, and as a result, i have failed to meet many of my financial obligations, including child support. i live in one of the states that posts that sort of stuff online, so when you google my name, my child support default is one of the things you see on the first page.

i hope to be all caught up, and my name off that site by the time i graduate in two years. however, that will definitely NOT happen by OCI this fall, or by next summer. last, my credit is terrible, and that wont be resolved for several years.

so i my question to you is, assuming i get an offer from OCI, when do firms conduct their background searches? immediately after i accept the offer? any time during my 2L year? in may, right before i start the SA job? before they make an offer at the end of SA? or after i accept that offer? sometime during my 3L year? or finally, right before, or after i begin working there after graduation?

how big a blemish is this on my chances of getting a job at all at a midsize firm or IP boutique?

thank you, you are doing a great thing here.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well here is a question for fathers day. the last couple of years have been pretty tough, and as a result, i have failed to meet many of my financial obligations, including child support. i live in one of the states that posts that sort of stuff online, so when you google my name, my child support default is one of the things you see on the first page.

i hope to be all caught up, and my name off that site by the time i graduate in two years. however, that will definitely NOT happen by OCI this fall, or by next summer. last, my credit is terrible, and that wont be resolved for several years.

so i my question to you is, assuming i get an offer from OCI, when do firms conduct their background searches? immediately after i accept the offer? any time during my 2L year? in may, right before i start the SA job? before they make an offer at the end of SA? or after i accept that offer? sometime during my 3L year? or finally, right before, or after i begin working there after graduation?

how big a blemish is this on my chances of getting a job at all at a midsize firm or IP boutique?

You're going to have a bigger problem with C&F than with firms. I don't say that to be a jerk. Seriously, though, if your state has an "early" C&F application that you can do (Illinois does, no idea about other states) you might consider doing it. Further, you might consider talking to an attorney who specializes in C&F issues, because financial issues are one of the big reasons that people get dinged by C&F.
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Happy Father's Day! (tag)

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:30 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:I am applying to a large number of firms in a market that does not participate in our OCI. I will be visiting that particular market at the very beginning of August (before OCI season) and am hoping to line up some interviews while I am in town.

Is it better to follow up and inquire about setting up an interview via email or over the phone?

Is one week after sending my materials (late June/early July) an appropriate time frame to follow up?

Send your info and call a week later.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:31 pm

kalvano wrote:How much does work experience in a field not directly related to law (but easily relatable to law) help?

Actually helps a lot. I like to see experience outside law. Gives you a better perspective which will make you a better lawyer.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Do firms have lower GPA requirements for people with experience in certain backgrounds like IP Lit?

No

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:34 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Does it matter if I did a ton of extracurriculars 1L year? Say for example, some guy has the same exact grades as me but did nothing. Would that reflect somewhat positively on me? slightly? significantly? not at all? What if my grades were slightly below the distribution you usually want, but I did a lot of other things during the year? Would there be any offset?

In other words, do you look at grades as a fixed GPA requirement (my school doesn't have rank statistics) or do you get a feel of the applicant through the whole picture?

I try to look at the whole picture. Don't spread yourself too thin though.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Why did you become a legal recruiter? Do you have a JD?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hope you're still around. Thanks for this awesome post!

I'm spending my post-1L summer as a summer associate at a top firm. The firm I'm working at doesn't usually (or never) recruit 1Ls for their summer associate class but I have gotten this job through family connections to one of the partners at the firm. I like this firm a lot and would love to come back here for at least some part of their normal (i.e. post-2L) summer associate class. However I just found out this week that my grades slipped by a fairly large extent and I am nowhere close to their general GPA cutoff. The firm normally only recruits people who are on law review, top 10% of the class, etc, and I'm just a little above the median. Would the firm still look at me as a candidate who is worth their time after seeing my "low" GPA? A lot of my friends who have just graduated and are starting their first year as an associate this fall or are summer associates right now are telling me that because I have already established this "tie" to the firm I am on a totally different playing field compared to the people who have no connections to this firm. Is this true? I don't want to make a fool out of myself by asking them to consider me even though I am nowhere near their selectivity in terms of students' grades. If yes (i.e. I should still talk to this firm about coming back next year with some measure of confidence?) how should I proceed in doing that? Talk about this mid-summer? Or at the end of the summer?

Just to give a little more background facts, I have a couple years of solid work experience in the business field. I also know a 5th year associate at this firm (in another office though, different from where I am working right now - but she does work at the office where I would like to spend some part of my summer next year if I do get offered for next year's stint and also if I get permission to split the summer between the two offices) who is willing to refer me to her department. She said she is more than glad to talk to the hiring partner for her department.

Your response would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for taking time to answer questions on TLS.

Definitely a good opportunity for you. You need to do your best work and make as many meaningful connections as possible. Your 1L experience will definitely give you a leg up but you really need to shine. Your family connections opened the door but it is up to your performance now, especially since your grades slipped. good luck!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 pm

AP-375 wrote:How important is Linkedin? Do you view profiles for any candidates, and what do you look for that might not be on the resume?
Thanks for the great info!

Not really all that important for students - more so for laterals. But. Be aware that I do look at all social media sites for all candidates.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:43 pm

choochoo wrote:Any boost for graduating from a top 20 undergraduate school? What about for being a teaching assistant for legal research & writing? Thanks!

Absolutely, especially if you did really well.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 pm

applejacks wrote:1) What if you don't land a 1l summer job? Will having good 1st year grades make up for not doing any legal work over the summer?

2) If you strike out at 2l OCI, does it make sense to switch to part-time to get another shot at OCI as a 3rd year evening student? Or will employers remember that you applied to them last year and hold it against you?

1. No 1L jobs not detrimental but do something. Even if it is research.

2. NO! This makes no sense at all. If you strike out at 2L OCI it is not the end of the world. Firms are fishing in the 3L market and there are still opportunities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 pm

I had a misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia (I had rolling papers and my friend had pot, and there was a rolled joint) expunged recently. On my law school applications I will disclose that I've been arrested before. However once I get to applying at a firm should I still disclose that even when it's been expunged?

I have never been in trouble with the law prior to that incident and since then I've stayed out of trouble.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well here is a question for fathers day. the last couple of years have been pretty tough, and as a result, i have failed to meet many of my financial obligations, including child support. i live in one of the states that posts that sort of stuff online, so when you google my name, my child support default is one of the things you see on the first page.

I conduct background right after the offer which is contingent on clear check. There are definitely some red flags here so you need to be able to explain them. Nothing that will kill your chances but will definitely need to see that you have a plan to meet your obligations.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia (I had rolling papers and my friend had pot, and there was a rolled joint) expunged recently. On my law school applications I will disclose that I've been arrested before. However once I get to applying at a firm should I still disclose that even when it's been expunged?

I have never been in trouble with the law prior to that incident and since then I've stayed out of trouble.

If the application asks about criminal behavior please answer completely and honestly. I would forgive this type of thing but never lying on an application. You run the risk that the background check finds the arrest and you didn't disclose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:55 pm

i am not sure if you have answered this question or not... but how much of a boost is significant work experience before law school? if it is a boost at all? do you have a preference for age in starting associates? (i will be almost 30 when graduating from law school)

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:56 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:Why did you become a legal recruiter? Do you have a JD?

Went to law school and hated every minute of it. Did not want to be a lawyer but love helping others realize that dream.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i am not sure if you have answered this question or not... but how much of a boost is significant work experience before law school? if it is a boost at all? do you have a preference for age in starting associates? (i will be almost 30 when graduating from law school)

Big boost to have previous experience. No age preference.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:47 pm

How do you view JD/MBA candidates, especially those interested in corporate law?
How do you handle the extra year of school after OCI? Any employment-related advice for those considering this track?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:19 pm

AP-375 wrote:How do you view JD/MBA candidates, especially those interested in corporate law?
How do you handle the extra year of school after OCI? Any employment-related advice for those considering this track?

JD/MBAs are great, especially for our corporate group. We will work through the timing issue. seek out firms that have hired JD/MBAs and ask the recruiter how they handle. Most of us are more than willing to answer questions if you just ask us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:51 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

1) How much does Law Review or a secondary journal make up for being outside the preferred percentile, if any? For instance, if someone was in the top half of the class and on Law Review, would that perhaps get them past the "top 33%" preference? Or does it simply not matter that much?

2) If you are open to working in different parts of the country but have no ties to those parts, what is the best way to get that across in interviews? If you're willing and wanting to work in the firm's office in XYZ, Random State, but have no real reason to want to be there other than you would like a change of scenery.

3) Building off the last question, what's the best way to make an impression if you are mass mailing and have no personal ties to the area? Is there something that would make a candidate stand out and be considered? Or do you need some sort of connection to the area to be successful?

1. Could make a little bit of difference
2. Know about my city and my firm and give concrete reasons why you like it here and want to build a practice here
3. You don't have to have a direct connection but you should be able to explain why you really want to be in X city

Following up on this, what in a cover letter, specifically, would make you take notice of someone who doesn't have ties to an area? Is there any particular "trigger" that pulls that application out of the many and gets a closer look? Or is it simply being able to say "I would like to move here because...X, Y, & Z."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

Due to my personal family situation (many dependents, laid off), I have a substantial amount of credit card debt.

I have been able to make consistent payments on my debt with no late payments, even though it has affected my credit score due to high utilization.

Despite trying to pay this substantial debt down, it's not possible for me to do so since I'm in law school and can't hold a full time job. Despite of all this, I am making on time payments. Other than having a lot of debt, I have no major negatives on my credit report (I have no collections, foreclosures, reposessions, etc.)

Will having a substantial amount of credit card debt and below average credit score affect my chances of employment at a firm like yours or any large firm? Should I disclose the reasons for my credit card debt?

Thanks!

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:43 pm

tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:45 pm

I was wondering how firms will look at my situation. After undergrad, I worked for an accounting firm for 2 years and got my CPA. I realized that I wanted to go to law school, and got a year of work experience at a boutique criminal law firm. How would law firms look at my situation if I want to go into corporate law (M&A, securities etc)? Would they look as favorably upon my CPA as I hope? I'm starting at a high T2 in august. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:25 pm

I am a rising 2L with below median grades from T6. What can I do to increase my chance of getting a biglaw job during OCI?
Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”