Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 am

Addy wrote:It’s possible that this is not available to a 1L, but in case it is. . . . if a paid doc review position was available, would it be wise or unwise to accept such a position?

As opposed to having either no job this summer? Take the position if you have the chance. Any 1L legal experience is difficult to come by these days. This will give you the opportunity to meet people and get experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:44 am

is hiring still going on for summer associate positions? i haven't heard anything back from the firm i had a callback with and was wondering if i am on hold or not.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:is hiring still going on for summer associate positions? i haven't heard anything back from the firm i had a callback with and was wondering if i am on hold or not.

Completely depends on the firm and the market. The majority of decisions have probably been made by now but it is possible that there are a few firms still considering waiting lists and a few that have dragged their feet on making decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Is using a comment for your school's journal a good idea for a writing sample? I was using my memo from LRW, but didn't feel like it was reflective of my ability. My comment is on a pretty recent and high-profile trial and I'm pretty proud of it (publication decisions should be coming soon). What do you think about that? Should I send an email with the memo just in case he/she wants a more "traditional" sample? Thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is using a comment for your school's journal a good idea for a writing sample? I was using my memo from LRW, but didn't feel like it was reflective of my ability. My comment is on a pretty recent and high-profile trial and I'm pretty proud of it (publication decisions should be coming soon). What do you think about that? Should I send an email with the memo just in case he/she wants a more "traditional" sample? Thanks!

IMO, you should send what you believe to be your best work that is reflective of your intellectual curiosity, analytical skills and writing ability. If that is your comment, go with that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 pm

If you already answered this question or something similar, I apologize.

What is the biggest piece of advice you would give to a 2L before they came to your firm as an SA? Can be pre-summer advice, work advice, really anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is hiring still going on for summer associate positions? i haven't heard anything back from the firm i had a callback with and was wondering if i am on hold or not.

Completely depends on the firm and the market. The majority of decisions have probably been made by now but it is possible that there are a few firms still considering waiting lists and a few that have dragged their feet on making decisions.

Thanks! Also, would a firm usually tell you that you are on hold? Or do some just remain silent until they decide whether they want to accept you or not?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you already answered this question or something similar, I apologize.

What is the biggest piece of advice you would give to a 2L before they came to your firm as an SA? Can be pre-summer advice, work advice, really anything.

Good question. Here are a few thoughts off the top of my head in no particular order:

- Get to know as many people as possible - especially in the group(s) you are most interested in
- If you get in over your head on a project, ask the associates for help and direction
- Use the recruiting department! We are here to help you and can help you get projects in areas of interest, introduce you to people, etc.
- Show up on time to events and be interested when there . . . (these are for you after all. . . )
- Show intellectual curiosity - if you are working on a project that lends itself, take your research one step further and ask if you are on track
- Be respectful of everyone in the firm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Can having and demonstrating a heavy interest in litigation backfire if, for example, the firm is smaller and looking specifically for 2Ls for transactional work? Or should I mention my interest in litigation but not harp on it too much?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Apologies if it has been asked. Along the same lines as the post above this. I am interested in transactional practice but was only able to secure a 2L summer gig in litigation. What should I be emphasizing in a cover letter or otherwise to be considered for such a position. Also, If I would work in both practice areas, should I mention that in a cover letter or just not say anything about the particular practice area I am interested in?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can having and demonstrating a heavy interest in litigation backfire if, for example, the firm is smaller and looking specifically for 2Ls for transactional work? Or should I mention my interest in litigation but not harp on it too much?

I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, if you really want to be a litigator, you should be a litigator. Period, end of story. On the other hand, you don't want to completely limit your options if this is the only shot you have for a job. Firms will take your interests into account when filling summer classes, especially smaller firms. If they don't have litigation needs, they may move on to a more transactionally-focused candidate.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I am a 1L just attended a recruitment reception hosted by a medium sized firm in a Midwestern dominated by my school and had a rather extended chat as a member of a group with a partner (there were six other students seated at the same table), about his work, the firm, and lawyering in general. Would it be appropriate to send him a thank-you email to let him know I enjoyed the chat and valued him spending his time with us or would that be seen as odd? The firm that hosted the reception (and obviously, this partner's employer) is among those who will be interviewing on campus in a few weeks and I will probably bid for an interview spot with them. I have no idea if he will be involved at all in the hiring of summer "clerks."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Will a district court clerkship someone competitive for an associate position if they don't otherwise have the stats for biglaw? How much weight do clerkships get when making decisions? When should clerks apply?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 am

I just want to first thank you for doing this. This entire thread has been super helpful to read and review, and your time is really appreciated.

Then, of course, I've got my own question(s):
As a 1L, I've got a very basic interest in business/corporate law. I've never worked specifically in business or business law, rather, my legal experience is on the public sector side working in a District Attorney's Office in a relatively high-profile unit.
Regardless, I'm attempting to go into biglaw. It doesn't have to be corporate, I'd work in litigation too, as long as it was biglaw. Biglaw dreams > corporate law interest.

For my 1L summer internship, what will look best to a firm? Should I continue with what probably looks like a litigation slant on my resume and work for a judge/go back to my position @ the DA's office? Should I try an in-house gig and let that do the convincing that I'm interested in corporate law? If I went in-house, could I then game my resume back and forth, using the DA's office work to prove I'm interested in litigation and the in-house work to prove I'm interested in corporate law?

I know its a bit of a complicated question. I guess I just feel like 1L summer internships need to be kind of strategic if you're gaming for biglaw, and therefore I'm trying to determine the best strategy.

Thanks again!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Lawfirmrecruiter.

Thanks for taking Qs. My question is how does a major increase in law school grades effect BigLaw recruiting post-2L OCI, assuming I work as a summer associate at a non-BigLaw firm 2L summer?

OCI didn't work for me. I'm 2.99 @ a T20 school, President of a minority organization, on the moot court team, have a masters in education (4.0), and I used to be a teacher. I am way more with the program this year, doing as many best practices this year that I could have done last year. My papers are being drafted early, and the professors are signaling I'm on my way to an A. My lecture class is within reach of an A based on keeping up and e-mailing with professor throughout the semester. From these things, a 3.5-4.0 seems realistic. I'd appreciate input from someone in your position.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:54 am

DocHawkeye wrote:I am a 1L just attended a recruitment reception hosted by a medium sized firm in a Midwestern dominated by my school and had a rather extended chat as a member of a group with a partner (there were six other students seated at the same table), about his work, the firm, and lawyering in general. Would it be appropriate to send him a thank-you email to let him know I enjoyed the chat and valued him spending his time with us or would that be seen as odd? The firm that hosted the reception (and obviously, this partner's employer) is among those who will be interviewing on campus in a few weeks and I will probably bid for an interview spot with them. I have no idea if he will be involved at all in the hiring of summer "clerks."

Absolutely appropriate. The key to networking at this point is not to worry about who may or may not be involved in hiring summer clerks. You never know who has political pull. Reach out to him and keep meeting as many people as possible.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will a district court clerkship someone competitive for an associate position if they don't otherwise have the stats for biglaw? How much weight do clerkships get when making decisions? When should clerks apply?

It can help if there are openings in litigation based practices, if the underlying stats are still decent. Not sure about clerkship applicaiton time frames.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just want to first thank you for doing this. This entire thread has been super helpful to read and review, and your time is really appreciated.

As a 1L, I've got a very basic interest in business/corporate law. I've never worked specifically in business or business law, rather, my legal experience is on the public sector side working in a District Attorney's Office in a relatively high-profile unit.
Regardless, I'm attempting to go into biglaw. It doesn't have to be corporate, I'd work in litigation too, as long as it was biglaw. Biglaw dreams > corporate law interest.

For my 1L summer internship, what will look best to a firm? Should I continue with what probably looks like a litigation slant on my resume and work for a judge/go back to my position @ the DA's office? Should I try an in-house gig and let that do the convincing that I'm interested in corporate law? If I went in-house, could I then game my resume back and forth, using the DA's office work to prove I'm interested in litigation and the in-house work to prove I'm interested in corporate law?

I know its a bit of a complicated question. I guess I just feel like 1L summer internships need to be kind of strategic if you're gaming for biglaw, and therefore I'm trying to determine the best strategy.

Thanks again!

First of all, 1L slots are hard to come by - regardless of area - so if you have a shot at getting any kind of legal experience take it. Don't worry so much what kind of slant your resume has now.

Use this time in school and during the summer to think about what kind of lawyer you truly want to be. Go talk to lawyers that do all kinds of work and ask about what their day is like, what kind of clients they represent, what kind of deals/cases they work on, etc. This will give you a more solid foundation to shape your interviews and give you direction next year as a 2L during OCI.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi Lawfirmrecruiter.

Thanks for taking Qs. My question is how does a major increase in law school grades effect BigLaw recruiting post-2L OCI, assuming I work as a summer associate at a non-BigLaw firm 2L summer?

OCI didn't work for me. I'm 2.99 @ a T20 school, President of a minority organization, on the moot court team, have a masters in education (4.0), and I used to be a teacher. I am way more with the program this year, doing as many best practices this year that I could have done last year. My papers are being drafted early, and the professors are signaling I'm on my way to an A. My lecture class is within reach of an A based on keeping up and e-mailing with professor throughout the semester. From these things, a 3.5-4.0 seems realistic. I'd appreciate input from someone in your position.

Congratulations on plugging away and doing so well this semester! A jump like that can certainly help. Once your grades come in, reach out to the firms you are interested in and try to get a meeting with the recruiters or alumni from your school. During your informational interviews with them, point out your jump and explain the strategy you used to lead you to such success. That kind of jump points to the type of candidate firms are looking for - someone with the grit and determination to solve problems and situations. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just want to first thank you for doing this. This entire thread has been super helpful to read and review, and your time is really appreciated.

Thanks again!

First of all, 1L slots are hard to come by - regardless of area - so if you have a shot at getting any kind of legal experience take it. Don't worry so much what kind of slant your resume has now.

Use this time in school and during the summer to think about what kind of lawyer you truly want to be. Go talk to lawyers that do all kinds of work and ask about what their day is like, what kind of clients they represent, what kind of deals/cases they work on, etc. This will give you a more solid foundation to shape your interviews and give you direction next year as a 2L during OCI.

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it.

My problem is, I can literally walk back into the DA's Office any time I want to, I could go work there this afternoon if I wanted to do so, but I really don't think I want to be an ADA making crap for money and getting little respect after working my ass off this hard in law school. I like the people I worked with, I liked the type of work, I just don't like the fact that its downright thankless in nature (and I'm characterizing the Office I worked in, not being an ADA in general).
So I guess I'm leery of just heading back there and then being stuck working there when I get out of school because my resume screams, "I want to work in the DA's Office and not for a big firm!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Thanks again!

My problem is, I can literally walk back into the DA's Office any time I want to, I could go work there this afternoon if I wanted to do so, but I really don't think I want to be an ADA making crap for money and getting little respect after working my ass off this hard in law school. I like the people I worked with, I liked the type of work, I just don't like the fact that its downright thankless in nature (and I'm characterizing the Office I worked in, not being an ADA in general).
So I guess I'm leery of just heading back there and then being stuck working there when I get out of school because my resume screams, "I want to work in the DA's Office and not for a big firm!"

You are over-analyzing...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:09 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you already answered this question or something similar, I apologize.

Good question. Here are a few thoughts off the top of my head in no particular order:

- Get to know as many people as possible - especially in the group(s) you are most interested in
- If you get in over your head on a project, ask the associates for help and direction
- Use the recruiting department! We are here to help you and can help you get projects in areas of interest, introduce you to people, etc.
- Show up on time to events and be interested when there . . . (these are for you after all. . . )
- Show intellectual curiosity - if you are working on a project that lends itself, take your research one step further and ask if you are on track
- Be respectful of everyone in the firm

Thank you!

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Thanks again!

You are over-analyzing...

This. Most people going to BigLaw that I know of did something PI 1L summer and many had previous PI experience. I did as well...just have an answer for why that's not what you want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:18 pm

After someone has already accepted an offer for a summer associateship, how important are 2L grades in deciding whether to extend them a full time offer (i.e. how far do they have to drop before they will be taken into account over a solid summer performance)?

Similarly, how important are 2L and 3L grades when evaluating a lateral candidate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 pm

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You are over-analyzing...

This. Most people going to BigLaw that I know of did something PI 1L summer and many had previous PI experience. I did as well...just have an answer for why that's not what you want.

Fair enough, I do that sometimes. Thanks for the replies, anon and blowhard.

Return to “Legal Employment”