Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just realized my question would be more appropriate in this thread:

f I've already e-mailed the recruitment director expressing my continued interest after the CB, would it be overkill to e-mail one of the partners with whom I met basically saying that I have every intention of accepting an offer if one is extended to me?

Probably overkill at this point. If you met with the hiring partner, that might be okay. Otherwise, your best bet is to just wait. I know how awful this process is for students. It takes so much time and you don't really see anything that is going on from our side. If you don't hear anything after another 2 weeks, call the recruiting director to see if s/he can give you an idea of when they will be making final decisions.

It was, in fact, one of the attorneys with whom I interviewed, but if you feel as though it would do more harm than good, then I'll refrain...although this waiting game is killing me. Thanks for the input!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:50 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I might have struck out and I'm wondering what I have to do for 3L OCI. What should I do to make myself marketable for 3L OCI? Thanks.

Need a bit more info. Are you a 2L that struck out in OCI or are you a 3L that did not get an offer from your summer?

I am a 2L and it seems like I struck out although I didn't get rejections for some of my callbacks. So the options I thought of are:
-in house internship
-foreign law firm
-city government internship
-clerkship (but I'm interested in transactional work. Would clerkship experience help?)
-small law firm

Thanks!

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I might have struck out and I'm wondering what I have to do for 3L OCI. What should I do to make myself marketable for 3L OCI? Thanks.

Need a bit more info. Are you a 2L that struck out in OCI or are you a 3L that did not get an offer from your summer?

I am a 2L and it seems like I struck out although I didn't get rejections for some of my callbacks. So the options I thought of are:
-in house internship
-foreign law firm
-clerkship (but I'm interested in transactional work. Would clerkship experience help?)
-small law firm

Thanks!

I'm interested in this too. It seems like in this tumultuous economy a lot of firms in smaller markets are canceling their summer associate programs because they can't foresee their hiring needs a year or more ahead. Maybe (as long as the economy stays intact) this will lead to a small increase in 3L interviewing? If so, what should 2Ls be doing for 2L summer to make ourselves competitive for next fall?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Heartford wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

-in house internship
-foreign law firm
-small law firm

Thanks!

I'm interested in this too. It seems like in this tumultuous economy a lot of firms in smaller markets are canceling their summer associate programs because they can't foresee their hiring needs a year or more ahead. Maybe (as long as the economy stays intact) this will lead to a small increase in 3L interviewing? If so, what should 2Ls be doing for 2L summer to make ourselves competitive for next fall?

I believe more and more firms are at least considering lowering their overall 2L class and then filling gaps with 3Ls if they see a greater need. Our firm has moved entirely to 3L hiring so all is definitely not lost if you struck out in OCI. Here are a few suggestions for what to do now:

1. Study. Don't just maintain your grades, make them better. Show how you improved over the semester and year.
2. Ask yourself what went wrong. What happened in OCI? Was it your grades? Do you have a hard time talking to people? Targeted firms incorrectly? Really be honest with yourself.
3. Plan. Make a plan of about how you will improve those areas you just identified.
4. Target. Figure out what market you really want to be in. Not pie in the sky, but realistically. Where do you want to be living in 10 years and what kind of life do you want? What kind of practice do you want to have?
5. Network. Use your alumni network at your law school to learn more about the markets you narrow down to. Ask them for informational interviews about the area and see if they will introduce you to others. This will be good practice for job interviews too.

Now you are ready to figure out what to go for next summer before 3L hiring. If you want to be in business in a middle market, find out what companies dominate and see if they have intern programs in their legal department. Litigation for you? Check out the smaller shops and see if they take clerks. The goverment does not always post jobs but usually has them. Check out the department of insurance in your state capitol.

Hope all of this is helpful. There really are opportunities out there. You just have to look for them!

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:17 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
I believe more and more firms are at least considering lowering their overall 2L class and then filling gaps with 3Ls if they see a greater need. Our firm has moved entirely to 3L hiring so all is definitely not lost if you struck out in OCI. Here are a few suggestions for what to do now:

1. Study. Don't just maintain your grades, make them better. Show how you improved over the semester and year.
2. Ask yourself what went wrong. What happened in OCI? Was it your grades? Do you have a hard time talking to people? Targeted firms incorrectly? Really be honest with yourself.
3. Plan. Make a plan of about how you will improve those areas you just identified.
4. Target. Figure out what market you really want to be in. Not pie in the sky, but realistically. Where do you want to be living in 10 years and what kind of life do you want? What kind of practice do you want to have?
5. Network. Use your alumni network at your law school to learn more about the markets you narrow down to. Ask them for informational interviews about the area and see if they will introduce you to others. This will be good practice for job interviews too.

Now you are ready to figure out what to go for next summer before 3L hiring. If you want to be in business in a middle market, find out what companies dominate and see if they have intern programs in their legal department. Litigation for you? Check out the smaller shops and see if they take clerks. The goverment does not always post jobs but usually has them. Check out the department of insurance in your state capitol.

Hope all of this is helpful. There really are opportunities out there. You just have to look for them!

Very helpful as usual. Thanks!

enibs

Postby enibs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just realized my question would be more appropriate in this thread:

f I've already e-mailed the recruitment director expressing my continued interest after the CB, would it be overkill to e-mail one of the partners with whom I met basically saying that I have every intention of accepting an offer if one is extended to me?

Probably overkill at this point. If you met with the hiring partner, that might be okay. Otherwise, your best bet is to just wait. I know how awful this process is for students. It takes so much time and you don't really see anything that is going on from our side. If you don't hear anything after another 2 weeks, call the recruiting director to see if s/he can give you an idea of when they will be making final decisions.

It was, in fact, one of the attorneys with whom I interviewed, but if you feel as though it would do more harm than good, then I'll refrain...although this waiting game is killing me. Thanks for the input!

If the firm is definitely your first choice, it is definitely NOT overkill to make sure someone at the firm knows that. It doesn't always make a difference, but it can. It may do some good, and it will not do any harm, so you should let them know. Why "law firm recruiter" would suggest otherwise is beyond me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 am

enibs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

If the firm is definitely your first choice, it is definitely NOT overkill to make sure someone at the firm knows that. It doesn't always make a difference, but it can. It may do some good, and it will not do any harm, so you should let them know. Why "law firm recruiter" would suggest otherwise is beyond me.

Telling a firm they are your first choice is distinct from expressing continued interest and definitely not overkill. Have to disagree strongly with lawfirmrecruiter here. Don't do it at their firm, I guess, but have heard several stories of this working all across the V100.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 am

For 3Ls, what sort of timeline do firms have for making decisions after a callback interview?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:41 am

enibs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Let me clarify - When I read the post it sounded as if OP had already expressed this to the recruiter. Repeatedly reaching out to many saying the firm is your first choice may have a negative effect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Let me clarify - When I read the post it sounded as if OP had already expressed this to the recruiter. Repeatedly reaching out to many saying the firm is your first choice may have a negative effect.

I am curious how it could have a negative effect. Could it be discussed during the hiring committee meeting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am curious how it could have a negative effect. Could it be discussed during the hiring committee meeting?

You don't want to sound desperate. It's never a flattering quality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Do firms become unhappy with or less interested in students who accept their offer near the 28th day deadline? Do they usually want an explanation of why it took so long to accept?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms become unhappy with or less interested in students who accept their offer near the 28th day deadline? Do they usually want an explanation for why it took so long to accept?

No.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms become unhappy with or less interested in students who accept their offer near the 28th day deadline? Do they usually want an explanation of why it took so long to accept?

Of course we'd prefer to have students accept on the spot but there is no negative to accepting near the 28 day deadline. This is a big decision and we know you need to take time to make an informed choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Can you share a story of how a summer associate ruined his chances at an offer? What percentage were alcohol related?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:24 am

I have one offer right now. I just finished a callback with a second firm that I liked very much. The two firms are completely different in terms of culture, region, salary, work, etc. That said, I do like both firms a lot. What're the politics about requesting to split summers? One firm prefers first half splits, while the other prefers second. Could I diminish my chance of a permanent offer? Is it a slap in the face at all? Am I looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:30 am

I had an interview with a firm out east close to two months ago but have not heard any word from them. They have sent some dings and have also sent callbacks to people already. I've to called, left messages and emails on numerous occasions with several people within the firm (recruitment and my oci interviewer) but I have heard no response at all. Any idea as to what this means? Any idea as to what should I do? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:04 am

So if i just recently received a cb (mass-mailed just last week; received a response without following up) from a biglaw firm in nyc this late in the game, does that indicate that they're scrambling to fill their class at this point? is this mine to lose? (they had <20 summers last year)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:36 am

I think I made mistake doing OCI in a local market since the SA classes are really tiny. I have ties to NY and was wondering whether I should try for that market even though its pretty late in the game. (very few NY firms came to our OCI).

I turned down a NY screener interview back when I had a bunch of local callbacks because I didn't want to pay for the flight and I had a bad feeling about the firm. (negative press, the recruiter took 10 days to respond to my email requesting a videoconference, phone, or local office interview, etc.)

Will all firms generally require candidates to fly to them cross country for a 20 minute screener? I used to work in business and phone interviews were the norm for the first round. I'm just wondering if I do start reaching out to NY firms what to expect as its tough to spend so much time and effort on a screener!

also, curious how people mass mail - is it just emailing resumes to the recruiter on the firm website?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have one offer right now. I just finished a callback with a second firm that I liked very much. The two firms are completely different in terms of culture, region, salary, work, etc. That said, I do like both firms a lot. What're the politics about requesting to split summers? One firm prefers first half splits, while the other prefers second. Could I diminish my chance of a permanent offer? Is it a slap in the face at all? Am I looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Thanks!

This probably depends on your market. We are in the Southeast where splits are common and expected. We like splits because we understand there is a significant cultural difference between firms. Candidates need the chance to see what fits best for them and vice versa for us. IMHO, if firms offer the option for a split, they know the risk and it should not be seen as a slap. Ask your career services office if they are familiar with the firms and their track record with splits. Hope this helps.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interview with a firm out east close to two months ago but have not heard any word from them. They have sent some dings and have also sent callbacks to people already. I've to called, left messages and emails on numerous occasions with several people within the firm (recruitment and my oci interviewer) but I have heard no response at all. Any idea as to what this means? Any idea as to what should I do? Thanks.

There is really no way to tell what this means. You could be waitlisted, they might be having rolling callbacks or offers, they might have gotten busy and just have not gotten to everyone. If you have already followed up several times, there really is nothing to do but wait now. I would probably move on to other options/targets and not keep all of your eggs in this basket.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:So if i just recently received a cb (mass-mailed just last week; received a response without following up) from a biglaw firm in nyc this late in the game, does that indicate that they're scrambling to fill their class at this point? is this mine to lose? (they had <20 summers last year)

Sounds like they are still filling their class and you probably have a pretty decent shot.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think I made mistake doing OCI in a local market since the SA classes are really tiny. I have ties to NY and was wondering whether I should try for that market even though its pretty late in the game. (very few NY firms came to our OCI).

I turned down a NY screener interview back when I had a bunch of local callbacks because I didn't want to pay for the flight and I had a bad feeling about the firm. (negative press, the recruiter took 10 days to respond to my email requesting a videoconference, phone, or local office interview, etc.)

Will all firms generally require candidates to fly to them cross country for a 20 minute screener? I used to work in business and phone interviews were the norm for the first round. I'm just wondering if I do start reaching out to NY firms what to expect as its tough to spend so much time and effort on a screener!

also, curious how people mass mail - is it just emailing resumes to the recruiter on the firm website?

It is a bit late in the game to mass mail but some people are still having success (see post above). Be thoughtful when you mass mail and try to target your message directly to the firms you are contacting. Start with your NYC connections and see if there is any logical connection to firms. Then move on to alumni from your school. Be sure to send your letters to both the attorney contacts and the recruiter.

As for travel, screeners (at least in our case) are done by phone or video conference first and then we cover the cost of the travel for the callback into the office. Not sure how NYC firms handle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:33 pm

really dumb q:

i have an offer ive accepted. at my cb, i spoke only with attorneys from the firm's small-but-crown jewel flagship practice, all of whom really sold me on the practice. after receiving the offer, i got an email from one of the partners congratulating me and saying she enjoyed speaking with me. that was ~3 weeks ago.

any problem in shooting her an email saying (less colloquially) "I accepted, great time talking to you, looking forward to the summer"? I loved my cb, that's all...

Return to “Legal Employment”