Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is mailing big law firms pointless at this point? I have below median grades at CCN. Thanks.

Mass mailing probably will not go very far right now. Focus on networking with any and all lawyers you know. Ask for informational interviews and their advice for where to look.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had callback over a month ago. I followed up once and the recruiter said they were just finishing up OCI and I would hear once a decision has been made. Its been 3 weeks since that follow up and I still haven't heard anything. Is it appropriate to call and see what's going on?

I would wait until Monday and then call back. Express your continued interest and ask where they are in the process.

Do many firms make decisions on Thursdays and Fridays?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Hey lawfirmrecruiter- thank you for all your help and information.

Hopefully this hasn't been asked already, but I have a callback coming up, and the firm didn't tell me who would be present at the CB. Should I try and ask (so I can be prepared), or do you think it was intentional that they didn't tell me, and I should just leave it alone? Thanks again!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey lawfirmrecruiter- thank you for all your help and information.

Hopefully this hasn't been asked already, but I have a callback coming up, and the firm didn't tell me who would be present at the CB. Should I try and ask (so I can be prepared), or do you think it was intentional that they didn't tell me, and I should just leave it alone? Thanks again!

For all of my CB's, the list of interviewers wasn't sent until the day before (usually later in the afternoon). I think it is to minimize the chances of attorney's being called out of the office/last minute changes to your interviewers. Good luck on your CB!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey lawfirmrecruiter- thank you for all your help and information.

For all of my CB's, the list of interviewers wasn't sent until the day before (usually later in the afternoon). I think it is to minimize the chances of attorney's being called out of the office/last minute changes to your interviewers. Good luck on your CB!

Thanks! The CB is at the end of the week, so that would make sense. Thanks again!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Most likely the schedule has not been completely set or confirmed yet. Reach out to the recruiter a day or two before to confirm your time and ask for the list of interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:36 pm

is it normal for a firm to offer one person within a few days, and another in 2 weeks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I have a CB tuesday with a firm I am lukewarm about but interested in and am sitting on several offers already (peer firms); any way to communicate on the way out "I'd like to know sooner rather than later"?

Of course if I am unimpressed then I don't care but...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Fast forward to next August. Assuming ITE doesn't get worse (I know, big assumption), do you think people who put forward a good impression, work hard, and make it clear they want to be in big-law are likely to get no-offered in 2012? How likely, if a firm seems financially healthy by all other indications (PPP, office growth, etc.)? Or is that a thing of the past and/or something that requires the summer associate to do something egregious?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Hey lawfirmrecruiter, thanks for all your help.

I was wondering what you thought of this. Firm called me to schedule callback, and when I told them I would be available to come out in a week (firm is in another state), they said that's what they were hoping to hear. They also said they knew I might have several offers, and wanted to see me as soon as possible. Should I take this as a good sign, or am I reading too much into things?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:27 am

It seems like a lot of the recruiting staff at big firms, especially in NYC, might be temporary hires to help out with the very busy schedule. If I hit it off with one of them, is it okay to ask them out once they're not working anymore at the firm or their temp position is done? Further, would your office be willing to help with this?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it normal for a firm to offer one person within a few days, and another in 2 weeks?

Entirely possible. Each firm handles offers differently.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a CB tuesday with a firm I am lukewarm about but interested in and am sitting on several offers already (peer firms); any way to communicate on the way out "I'd like to know sooner rather than later"?

Of course if I am unimpressed then I don't care but...

Just be honest and ask the recruiter what their timeframe is. You can then mention that you have a few offers and hope to make an informed decision soon.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fast forward to next August. Assuming ITE doesn't get worse (I know, big assumption), do you think people who put forward a good impression, work hard, and make it clear they want to be in big-law are likely to get no-offered in 2012? How likely, if a firm seems financially healthy by all other indications (PPP, office growth, etc.)? Or is that a thing of the past and/or something that requires the summer associate to do something egregious?

Thanks!

This is entirely too difficult to answer. Entirely too many variables go in to this.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey lawfirmrecruiter, thanks for all your help.

I was wondering what you thought of this. Firm called me to schedule callback, and when I told them I would be available to come out in a week (firm is in another state), they said that's what they were hoping to hear. They also said they knew I might have several offers, and wanted to see me as soon as possible. Should I take this as a good sign, or am I reading too much into things?

This is a good sign.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 am

How to accept the offer?

Hiring partner was my OCI interviewer and called to extend it - do I call him or the recruiting coordinator or...?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:How to accept the offer?

Hiring partner was my OCI interviewer and called to extend it - do I call him or the recruiting coordinator or...?

Call the hiring partner to accept over the phone and send the recruiter an e-mail that says you just talked to him and accepted. Then ask if there is any additional information they need from you.

Congrats on the offer!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:12 am

Hey Lawfirmrecruiter,

It's a bad sign if I haven't heard anything from firms that I mass mailed and it's been about 20 days since I mailed them right...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:56 pm

If somebody is on a waitlist, could following up hurt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm

I might have struck out and I'm wondering what I have to do for 3L OCI. What should I do to make myself marketable for 3L OCI? Thanks.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I might have struck out and I'm wondering what I have to do for 3L OCI. What should I do to make myself marketable for 3L OCI? Thanks.

Need a bit more info. Are you a 2L that struck out in OCI or are you a 3L that did not get an offer from your summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Any suggestions for a clerk at a federal court of appeals on landing a Biglaw job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Just realized my question would be more appropriate in this thread:

f I've already e-mailed the recruitment director expressing my continued interest after the CB, would it be overkill to e-mail one of the partners with whom I met basically saying that I have every intention of accepting an offer if one is extended to me?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions for a clerk at a federal court of appeals on landing a Biglaw job?

Talk to your judge and see if there are any networking opportunities s/he can help you with. Recommendations and introductions always go a long way. Also, begin doing some research about firms that have a history of hiring clerks. It is a little difficult but target a market you want to be in and start reviewing the resumes of the attorneys on their sites to find out who the clerks are.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just realized my question would be more appropriate in this thread:

f I've already e-mailed the recruitment director expressing my continued interest after the CB, would it be overkill to e-mail one of the partners with whom I met basically saying that I have every intention of accepting an offer if one is extended to me?

Probably overkill at this point. If you met with the hiring partner, that might be okay. Otherwise, your best bet is to just wait. I know how awful this process is for students. It takes so much time and you don't really see anything that is going on from our side. If you don't hear anything after another 2 weeks, call the recruiting director to see if s/he can give you an idea of when they will be making final decisions.

Return to “Legal Employment”