Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:How egregious is not sending a thank-you in markets like Birmingham/Nashville/Atlanta? Not planning on it, just curious.


Not egregious, per se. However, the notes are read and appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 am

I have an interview today with a firm I interviewed with as a 1L, received a CB with, and did not receive an offer - but they invited me to apply again. I'm interviewing today with 2 different people I did not meet last time, what should I be expecting question-wise? My grades have improved significantly since last time I interviewed with them.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview today with a firm I interviewed with as a 1L, received a CB with, and did not receive an offer - but they invited me to apply again. I'm interviewing today with 2 different people I did not meet last time, what should I be expecting question-wise? My grades have improved significantly since last time I interviewed with them.


Most likely typical screener questions. Since it is a new group of interviewers, last year's interview probably will not come back up. Discuss your grades, how you changed your approach to studying, etc. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:23 am

What do you think about name-dropping? I know the chair of one of the largest practice groups at my favorite firm and he's been REALLY helpful to me and has said that if it comes up naturally, I should say I know him.

Edit: During a CB. I did not mention him during OCI screener.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think about name-dropping? I know the chair of one of the largest practice groups at my favorite firm and he's been REALLY helpful to me and has said that if it comes up naturally, I should say I know him.

Edit: During a CB. I did not mention him during OCI screener.


If it is subtle, it is fine. However, name dropping can quickly get irritating so don't bring it up unless it works in the conversation. Remember, who you know can help get you in the door. After that, a firm will hire you because of who YOU are.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 am

1) If a CB attempts to call but the phone is off will you leave a message?

2) Post-CB, do emails containing phrases like "best wishes" or "best of luck" mean anything?

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:1) If a CB attempts to call but the phone is off will you leave a message?

2) Post-CB, do emails containing phrases like "best wishes" or "best of luck" mean anything?


1. yes
2. no clue without more context

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 pm

How do you view minorities who attend a top 20 school but happen to be near the bottom of the class? Are they given a little more weight, or are grades the end all be all for everyone? Thanx.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) If a CB attempts to call but the phone is off will you leave a message?

2) Post-CB, do emails containing phrases like "best wishes" or "best of luck" mean anything?


1. yes
2. no clue without more context


Re: #2 it was a "keeping in touch" email with a CB interviewer. They said they enjoyed meeting me and then said best of luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi I am wondering what your opinion is on these two questions:

1. if the student had a horrific gpa (2.8 or so) and had a great summer semester and raised her gpa to a 2.98 would you recommend the student to put that grade on her resume?

2. if the student likely got the screener interview through a client, would you still recommend having a letter of recommendation from the client on the call back interview? (this client is family member of student)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:32 pm

How bad is it to forget "Esq." on the end of the hiring partner's name in a cover letter? :oops:

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How bad is it to forget "Esq." on the end of the hiring partner's name in a cover letter? :oops:


Do they even use it? Many do not....

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) If a CB attempts to call but the phone is off will you leave a message?

2) Post-CB, do emails containing phrases like "best wishes" or "best of luck" mean anything?


1. yes
2. no clue without more context


Re: #2 it was a "keeping in touch" email with a CB interviewer. They said they enjoyed meeting me and then said best of luck.


I wouldn't read anything into that. Sounds like they were just trying to be polite.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How bad is it to forget "Esq." on the end of the hiring partner's name in a cover letter? :oops:


I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:33 pm

One of the associates who took me to lunch replied to my thank-you with a note saying she enjoyed herself also and thought I'd be a good fit with the firm. Thoughts?

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Heartford » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of the associates who took me to lunch replied to my thank-you with a note saying she enjoyed herself also and thought I'd be a good fit with the firm. Thoughts?


You're totally effed. Time to drop out.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of the associates who took me to lunch replied to my thank-you with a note saying she enjoyed herself also and thought I'd be a good fit with the firm. Thoughts?


Sounds like a positive to me. How many people did you meet with?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of the associates who took me to lunch replied to my thank-you with a note saying she enjoyed herself also and thought I'd be a good fit with the firm. Thoughts?


Sounds like a positive to me. How many people did you meet with?

6 - two partners, two senior associates, and two junior associates at lunch. I got a nice note back from one of the partners too, although she didn't say one way or the other whether she thought I was a "good fit." Thanks for answering questions BTW.

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of the associates who took me to lunch replied to my thank-you with a note saying she enjoyed herself also and thought I'd be a good fit with the firm. Thoughts?


Sounds like a positive to me. How many people did you meet with?

6 - two partners, two senior associates, and two junior associates at lunch. I got a nice note back from one of the partners too, although she didn't say one way or the other whether she thought I was a "good fit." Thanks for answering questions BTW.


Sounds like you had a really good callback. Very positive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:12 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of the associates who took me to lunch replied to my thank-you with a note saying she enjoyed herself also and thought I'd be a good fit with the firm. Thoughts?


Sounds like a positive to me. How many people did you meet with?

6 - two partners, two senior associates, and two junior associates at lunch. I got a nice note back from one of the partners too, although she didn't say one way or the other whether she thought I was a "good fit." Thanks for answering questions BTW.


Sounds like you had a really good callback. Very positive.


Thank you. I just got another nice reply from a senior associate there, so we'll see/hope.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 pm

What advice can you provide to a non-traditional law student who spent nearly 20 years as an IT professional and is interested in intellectual property? I've passed the patent bar, but do not have a stellar undergraduate pedigree. First year part-time grades were just under 3.0. Can the extensive work experience off set prior academic performance?

Thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What advice can you provide to a non-traditional law student who spent nearly 20 years as an IT professional and is interested in intellectual property? I've passed the patent bar, but do not have a stellar undergraduate pedigree. First year part-time grades were just under 3.0. Can the extensive work experience off set prior academic performance?

Thanks!


Your work experience should help. Try to get informational interviews with IP boutiques to see what you need to do to find a job.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby GeePee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Does a status check email after an extended post-screener silence ever accomplish anything?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:45 am

How does it look if a candidate tells you during a callback that she would accept an offer if one was made? Does this look desperate?

I currently only have one callback and am considering this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 am

GeePee wrote:Does a status check email after an extended post-screener silence ever accomplish anything?



I am also curious about this. I added a screener at OCI and it was with an associate in the hospitality suite. I have not heard back from the firm. The interview went very well and my stats are certainly on par with the firm. I really want to call and check if they got the paperwork and everything.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.