Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:40 pm

For some of the OCI interviews I applied to, my resume included one of my previous jobs by one title (for example "Summer Clerk"), when it was actually supposed to be another (such as "Summer Associate"). I didn't know this until after I had submitted my information (because I thought it was the correct title), and both titles have the exact same duties. How should I go about mentioning this in the interview? Just bring it up and say "I thought my title was X, but it was actually Y. However, the duties were the same."? Should I hand the interviewers a new, corrected resume, or would it be better to mention the correction and leave it at that?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:58 pm

How should I answer, "So are you interested in clerking after graduation?" My honest answer is, "I'd love to, as long as you are going to hire me when I'm done."

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For some of the OCI interviews I applied to, my resume included one of my previous jobs by one title (for example "Summer Clerk"), when it was actually supposed to be another (such as "Summer Associate"). I didn't know this until after I had submitted my information (because I thought it was the correct title), and both titles have the exact same duties. How should I go about mentioning this in the interview? Just bring it up and say "I thought my title was X, but it was actually Y. However, the duties were the same."? Should I hand the interviewers a new, corrected resume, or would it be better to mention the correction and leave it at that?

I wouldn't even bother bringing it up. Those titles are interchangeable and it shouldn't matter. Just correct your resume going forward and don't worry about it.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How should I answer, "So are you interested in clerking after graduation?" My honest answer is, "I'd love to, as long as you are going to hire me when I'm done."

You could say something like, "clerking is definitely an option that I am keeping in mind. It would be a wonderful learning experience that would give me further practical insight into the practice of law. Of course, I would have to weigh that with other opportunities I may have. What is your firm's policy on allowing clerkship deferrals?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:09 pm

How long should I wait to contact a firm after a mass-mail screener? It's been almost two weeks and I haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I posted this in its own post, but it look like it more appropriately fits here...
I went on a callback to a v50 firm over a week ago. I thought it went really well, and was told by someone there that decisions can take up to 2 weeks. I later found out that they made offers really soon after CBs, as well as dinged some others. I have not heard back, and though I have a bunch of other CBs and an offer, I really want this firm. I was wondering if I should contact either the recruiting coordinator or one of the young associates that interviewed me and let them know that though I havent heard back yet, I am still interested in this firm over all the others for X, Y, and Z reasons, and even though I have other options this firm is still the top of my list.

I know conventional knowledge says to wait until the 2 week mark to contact the firm at all. But, I get the feeling that if they havent yet said yes, they might just ding me at the two week mark since its so early in the process. I feel like if I can let them know how genuinely interested I am, that would give them more reason to extend me an offer over the next person who might not accept it.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long should I wait to contact a firm after a mass-mail screener? It's been almost two weeks and I haven't heard anything.

Wait the full two weeks and then follow up.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted this in its own post, but it look like it more appropriately fits here...
I went on a callback to a v50 firm over a week ago. I thought it went really well, and was told by someone there that decisions can take up to 2 weeks. I later found out that they made offers really soon after CBs, as well as dinged some others. I have not heard back, and though I have a bunch of other CBs and an offer, I really want this firm. I was wondering if I should contact either the recruiting coordinator or one of the young associates that interviewed me and let them know that though I havent heard back yet, I am still interested in this firm over all the others for X, Y, and Z reasons, and even though I have other options this firm is still the top of my list.

I know conventional knowledge says to wait until the 2 week mark to contact the firm at all. But, I get the feeling that if they havent yet said yes, they might just ding me at the two week mark since its so early in the process. I feel like if I can let them know how genuinely interested I am, that would give them more reason to extend me an offer over the next person who might not accept it.

Try to hold off until the 2 week mark. If they have not dinged you yet, you are still in the running. Definitely call the recruiter at the 2 week mark, though, and let them know that X firm is still your top choice and hope to hear back from them soon.

I know that waiting can be really painful, but try to remember the volume of resumes, candidates, interviews, attorney schedules, etc. that the recruiting office is trying to sort through. It may seem like it takes forever, but that is because firms really do want to take enough time to fairly evaluate all candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:36 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I posted this in its own post, but it look like it more appropriately fits here...

Try to hold off until the 2 week mark. If they have not dinged you yet, you are still in the running. Definitely call the recruiter at the 2 week mark, though, and let them know that X firm is still your top choice and hope to hear back from them soon.

I know that waiting can be really painful, but try to remember the volume of resumes, candidates, interviews, attorney schedules, etc. that the recruiting office is trying to sort through. It may seem like it takes forever, but that is because firms really do want to take enough time to fairly evaluate all candidates.

Does the 2 week rule apply to screeners at OCI as well as CBs?

Thanks!

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Does the 2 week rule apply to screeners at OCI as well as CBs?

Thanks!

For both screeners and CBs, I would suggest a follow up thank you right after the meeting - I know there is debate about thank you's but in my market, they are appreciated and considered a good manners thing . . .

Then follow up if you have not heard anything back in about 2 weeks. Make sense?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Would you suggest students provide a list of references along with their transcript/writing sample or wait until asked for them? What about letters of recommendation?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:46 pm

If I have an offer from another firm and I need to tell them by a certain date, how do I approach it on a callback at another firm that is around 5 days before I need to have a decision?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm

LFR, thanks again for answering questions, you've been incredibly helpful.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you suggest students provide a list of references along with their transcript/writing sample or wait until asked for them? What about letters of recommendation?

Wait for references until asked for them. It is nice, however, to go ahead and have letters of recommendations. Especially if they are from judges or clients.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I have an offer from another firm and I need to tell them by a certain date, how do I approach it on a callback at another firm that is around 5 days before I need to have a decision?

Just be honest and open. Ask the new firm when they expect to be making decisions and let them know the time frame you are working with. Also, make sure the original firm is giving you the full 28 days if they are a NALP firm.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 pm

YourCaptain wrote:LFR, thanks again for answering questions, you've been incredibly helpful.

You are most welcome. I hope getting one recruiter's perspective makes this crazy hiring process seem a bit less daunting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:26 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would you suggest students provide a list of references along with their transcript/writing sample or wait until asked for them? What about letters of recommendation?

Wait for references until asked for them. It is nice, however, to go ahead and have letters of recommendations. Especially if they are from judges or clients.

So would you just provide these along with in the packet (transcript/writing sample). I actually have letters from all of my references...judge's clerk, prof, and former employer.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

So would you just provide these along with in the packet (transcript/writing sample). I actually have letters from all of my references...judge's clerk, prof, and former employer.

Yep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I went to a job fair in late July and as a result I received an offer for a job last Thurs, but I'm still doing some screener interviews with firms I'm very interested in at my school's OCI this week. I like the firm that I got the offer from, but it's not one of my top picks. Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one? I got a good vibe from my interviewer this morning about a call back coming up, so would it be possible to talk to the recruiting manager at that firm? Or would any of this come across in a negative way?
Thanks so much!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:17 pm

So after submitting the necessary documents to about 7 firms I realized that there was a grammatical error in the brief note I wrote in the email. How big of an impact does this make? Would that make me an auto-ding?

Also, I haven't heard anything from some of the firms I sent emails to. Should I follow up? What's the appropriate way to do this?

Thanks alot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:57 am

How much of a role do recruiters have in deciding which candidates to pick for offers after a round of callbacks? I've yet to go to a firm where the recruiter has much more than passing contact with the candidate... but I've heard that they sometimes play a role in the hiring decision. Truth at your firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 am

How egregious is not sending a thank-you in markets like Birmingham/Nashville/Atlanta? Not planning on it, just curious.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went to a job fair in late July and as a result I received an offer for a job last Thurs, but I'm still doing some screener interviews with firms I'm very interested in at my school's OCI this week. I like the firm that I got the offer from, but it's not one of my top picks. Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one? I got a good vibe from my interviewer this morning about a call back coming up, so would it be possible to talk to the recruiting manager at that firm? Or would any of this come across in a negative way?
Thanks so much!

Probably not a good idea to bring up time frames in the actual screening interview. If you get down to the wire and still have not heard back yet, give the recruiter a call and ask where they are in the process.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:So after submitting the necessary documents to about 7 firms I realized that there was a grammatical error in the brief note I wrote in the email. How big of an impact does this make? Would that make me an auto-ding?

Also, I haven't heard anything from some of the firms I sent emails to. Should I follow up? What's the appropriate way to do this?

Thanks alot.

It depends. Grammatical errors can be a red flag but it doesn't necessarily mean an auto-ding. Just please be careful when you send anything. These types of errors can be seen as a lack of attention to detail.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much of a role do recruiters have in deciding which candidates to pick for offers after a round of callbacks? I've yet to go to a firm where the recruiter has much more than passing contact with the candidate... but I've heard that they sometimes play a role in the hiring decision. Truth at your firm?

Really depends from firm to firm. Even the passing contact with the recruiter is important - how do you treat others? where you difficult to deal with and/or schedule? Keep in mind that the recruiter sees every single candidate that comes through and we can often provide valuable insight about the overall candidate pool to the firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”