Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:30 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I will be entering a regional school with prior legal work experience(and temp experience in multiple legal settings both corporate counsel, small and large firm).

Does it make a difference to a recruiter when they see that the applicant has worked in the field that they want to enter?

I am confused with the notion of work experience vs grades. It seems like lacking both could hurt.

I am interested in litigation. Most likely products liability.

With work experience like yours, I would be interested in the fact that you have worked in a law firm setting. Not necessarily looking at what you were doing. Just shows that you know what firm life is like and probably know more about what you would or would not like doing.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 pm

stratocophic wrote:I have a guess as to the firm you're with and assuming my suspicion is correct, I think I'd really, really like to end up in that market either right out of school or a few years down the road. Any advice on how to sell your ties when you're from the same state but not that particular city? How does your firm view people trying to lateral in from bigger markets like NY, Chicago, and Atlanta?

If you are in the same state but not the same city, that is fine. We have laterals that have come from all over the country so that location does not really matter. With laterals, we are looking for a specific targeted type of experience to fill a gap and it is much more about they type of practice you have developed.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks very much to the OP for starting this thread.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:34 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Thanks very much to the OP for starting this thread.

Happy to help! :)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Are you on the hiring committee or are you the HR person.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Are you on the hiring committee or are you the HR person.

Both

Technically have no hiring committee and work directly with the Board and PGLs for all professional hiring for the firm.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Is there a difference to you between writing samples from Legal Writing classes in LS and writing samples from a 1L summer job? In other words, do you prefer it to be from the summer job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Kronk wrote:Is there a difference to you between writing samples from Legal Writing classes in LS and writing samples from a 1L summer job? In other words, do you prefer it to be from the summer job?

I would also very much like to know this.

Thanks for taking questions.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kronk wrote:Is there a difference to you between writing samples from Legal Writing classes in LS and writing samples from a 1L summer job? In other words, do you prefer it to be from the summer job?

I would also very much like to know this.

Thanks for taking questions.

I would prefer the most recent and most comprehensive sample. Your writing should improve as you progress in your studies so send your most current work. Unless of course you don't feel like it is your best work... HTH.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I have a guess as to the firm you're with and assuming my suspicion is correct, I think I'd really, really like to end up in that market either right out of school or a few years down the road. Any advice on how to sell your ties when you're from the same state but not that particular city? How does your firm view people trying to lateral in from bigger markets like NY, Chicago, and Atlanta?

If you are in the same state but not the same city, that is fine. We have laterals that have come from all over the country so that location does not really matter. With laterals, we are looking for a specific targeted type of experience to fill a gap and it is much more about they type of practice you have developed.
Gracias.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Also--do you prefer law students at schools where you aren't doing OCI send out a "Hello, my name is ________. I'm interested in your firm and would like to know more / apply" email, or just get straight to business with "I've attached my cover letter, resume, etc."?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 pm

Do you look at overall GPA or does it factor in that a student may have had a slight drop-off or bump-up between 1L semesters?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Kronk wrote:Also--do you prefer law students at schools where you aren't doing OCI send out a "Hello, my name is ________. I'm interested in your firm and would like to know more / apply" email, or just get straight to business with "I've attached my cover letter, resume, etc."?

I prefer the more detailed and personal e-mail. Makes the applicant more memorable which is key to standing out among 800+ applicants.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you look at overall GPA or does it factor in that a student may have had a slight drop-off or bump-up between 1L semesters?

Generally look at overall GPA unless it is a 3L. Then I look at the full picture of the candidate and how s/he progressed throughout school.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm

There's a lot of information on TLS about the suit one should wear to the interview, and I'd just like to know how closely you pay attention to that. Would somebody lose points if they wore a gray suit instead of charcoal or navy blue? How important is the suit one wears to the interview? Since I'm living on loans I don't have money for Brooks Brothers suits or Allen Edmonds shoes and whatnot. As long as the suit looks decent and isn't too outlandish for the interview (some unconventional color or a crazy tie for example) would that be okay?

Thanks!

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 pm

What about a major jump or drop in GPA?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:28 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:There's a lot of information on TLS about the suit one should wear to the interview, and I'd just like to know how closely you pay attention to that. Would somebody lose points if they wore a gray suit instead of charcoal or navy blue? How important is the suit one wears to the interview? Since I'm living on loans I don't have money for Brooks Brothers suits or Allen Edmonds shoes and whatnot. As long as the suit looks decent and isn't too outlandish for the interview (some unconventional color or a crazy tie for example) would that be okay?

Thanks!

Wow. Of all the things to focus on and stress about for an interview, color of your suit should be one of the last. Just make sure your suit looks nice, is pressed and fits. I couldn't tell you what color suit I wore yesterday, much less that of the candidates I met with . . .

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:29 pm

strokes788 wrote:What about a major jump or drop in GPA?

Would probably want an explanation about big jumps either up or down

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:35 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
strokes788 wrote:What about a major jump or drop in GPA?

Would probably want an explanation about big jumps either up or down

If the starting GPA was low, would a big jump help, even if the overall 1L GPA ended up below the cutoff?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:37 pm

How are Asians considered for diversity and minority recruiting purposes? Are they considered to be overrepresented and as such not really be considered diverse?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:00 pm

1) An engaging personality
2) Physical Attractiveness
3) Significant Big Business Experience
4) Entrepreneurial Business Experience
5) Chinese/Arabic Language Fluency
6) 1L Summer Associate Position
7) Great Grades
8) Interest in the firm

In addition to ranking these, could you also weight each factor to the 2nd decimal place? This would help me precisely hone my interviewing technique. I usually can do it to the 2nd decimal place, but when under pressure I have a +/- 5% margin of error. Is that tolerable or will that definitely put me in trouble as far as getting a callback is concerned?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 pm

What was your background prior to being a law firm recruiter?

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks for doing this!

My question: How many people applying outside of OCI actually have a shot at an interview? My school has a decent amount of firms coming for OCI, but there are several other firms that I am very interested that are not coming. Is it time well spent to concentrate on these firms, or do they generally get everything they need from OCI?

Thx.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

1) How much does Law Review or a secondary journal make up for being outside the preferred percentile, if any? For instance, if someone was in the top half of the class and on Law Review, would that perhaps get them past the "top 33%" preference? Or does it simply not matter that much?

2) If you are open to working in different parts of the country but have no ties to those parts, what is the best way to get that across in interviews? If you're willing and wanting to work in the firm's office in XYZ, Random State, but have no real reason to want to be there other than you would like a change of scenery.

3) Building off the last question, what's the best way to make an impression if you are mass mailing and have no personal ties to the area? Is there something that would make a candidate stand out and be considered? Or do you need some sort of connection to the area to be successful?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:38 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
TNFSkier16 wrote:Do you have a school ranking cut-off that you won't accept any students from below this threshold?

Generally won't go past top 1/3.

Does this apply to URMs also?

Return to “Legal Employment”