Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are previous investment banking experiences viewed for corporate/transactional groups within the law firm? Would it be an asset or would it confuse people (ie. why would you leave banking for law) / come across as a flight risk?
You will probably be asked why the switch but overall it would be seen as an asset in a corporate practice.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted an offer for summer employment and couldn't be happier. However, I have a dismissed charge for a misdemeanor in my history (3+ years ago) - I warned them that it might show up on a background check and they wouldn't tell me if that would be a problem or not, but if it is they would tell me. As it is dismissed (not a conviction) do you think this would merit a revocation of their offer? Thanks in advance for your (or anyones!) help!
FWIW: My attorney at the time told me expunging the dismissed charge would be a waste of time, but of course now I'm regretting not doing it. I will be filing those papers tomorrow.
This should not be a problem. Especially since you were honest about it from the beginning

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a random email from a top 100 firm that I applied to last fall asking to set up a conference call. I was rejected in the fall.

What could this call with only 1 partner (the partner that heads the practice group that I want to work for) possibly be about? Is this going to be an offer?
Sounds like they have additional needs and they are beginning a new search. It most likely is not an offer but another interview. Sounds promising though! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:19 pm

How do firms look at 1L summer internships? I have somewhat of an odd situation. My grades put me in the top 5% (at a lower T-14), and I figured I would get a 1L SA (ended up getting a shortened summer program, not enough to fill a whole-or half-summer), so I ended up applying to Judges really late. The only judge that has given me an interview is a county criminal court that only handles misdemeanors. I also have an offer to work for free for a solo practitioner (seems to be very successful) in a random part of the state, but he has promised a lot substantive work.

I guess my question is: will firms at OCI raise an eyebrow at either of these jobs when compared to my grades? Will they wonder if something is wrong with me for not getting something better with my grades? Is one option better than the other?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks for taking questions, LFR. What advice would you give to 2Ls who struck out in the summer associate lottery and will have to apply for entry-level gigs? Would it be a waste to mass mail firms for these types of positions, assuming top ~15% and law review at a lower T1, with fed. gov't, small firm, and in-house experience? If not, when would be a good time to start sending out applications? I mean, if I send out 2,000 applications and land one position, it would be worth it. However, that sounds horribly ineffective and really I would like to know what else you recommend, besides "networking" and calling up alumni?

Also, I'm not particularly interested in clerking, and I doubt I am very competitive for a prestigious clerkship anyway, but would that automatically put me in a better position than just applying for entry-level position as a graduate? I'm much more interested in doing transactional work than lit, but am painfully aware that I'm not in a place to be picky.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Thank you so much LFR for answering these questions! It's been really helpful learning from reading your answers to everyone's posts.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Sorry, anon, but notice the dates on recent posts. I don't think LFR will return to this thread anytime soon.
Anonymous User wrote:[tl;dr]

colonelnerd

New

Post by colonelnerd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 pm

How do you view reapplicants to your firm? Does it make a difference if they were offered, rejected post-CB, or rejected pre-CB?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm

How do you view moot court for someone interested in corporate?

dovlet

New

Post by dovlet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi LFR,
My question is this:
Would you recommend LInkedID as a way of networking and what are guidelines or instructions would you recommend? Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”