Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, thanks for the info in this thread. My questions are:

Whats the representation in biglaw/midlaw, if any, of Muslim women that wear a headscarf? How much harder is it for them in the recruitment process provided they are competitive (top 15%, T14,LR,multiple languages)? Lastly, what concerns would recruiters have regarding such women and how can these women best address them?

Thanks for any input :)
I can't speak industry wide on what this representation is - simply don't know. A headscarf would not present any issues I can think of in the recruitment process. A firm is going to look at your qualifications and if you have the right personality fit with the attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:31 am

thanks for all of the advice you've provided

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on accepting an offer with a govt position for 2L summer. I have not received any offers from the OCI process and I recently received the unpaid govt offer in a niche practice area that I am not planning to pursue. It sounds like a great substantive experience that I would have loved as a 1L but as a 2L I am concerned because they only hire laterals and its a niche area that wont directly help for future employment.

I'm concerned if I turn down the offer, I wont find anything for the summer. At the very least, I'd have to wait until spring when the smaller firms start hiring. If I were to go through the OCI process again as a 3L, how might a firm look at the experience? Would it look much better to have worked at a small law firm? I would like to work at a firm after law school, but would certainly consider govt down the line.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:23 am

Is accepting an offer the same day seem desperate/bad in some way for employers?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:thanks for all of the advice you've provided

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on accepting an offer with a govt position for 2L summer. I have not received any offers from the OCI process and I recently received the unpaid govt offer in a niche practice area that I am not planning to pursue. It sounds like a great substantive experience that I would have loved as a 1L but as a 2L I am concerned because they only hire laterals and its a niche area that wont directly help for future employment.

I'm concerned if I turn down the offer, I wont find anything for the summer. At the very least, I'd have to wait until spring when the smaller firms start hiring. If I were to go through the OCI process again as a 3L, how might a firm look at the experience? Would it look much better to have worked at a small law firm? I would like to work at a firm after law school, but would certainly consider govt down the line.
If this is the only option you have right now, I suggest you take it. It may not be what you ultimately want to do and it may not lead to a permenant offer, but it is experience in a legal capacity and you can use it to network with as many people as possible during your summer.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is accepting an offer the same day seem desperate/bad in some way for employers?
Nope. It actually makes our life a lot easier. Plus it sends the message that you are enthusiastic about the firm and would most likely accept a permenant offer. While you don't want to gush, it is certainly fine (IMHO) to accept on the spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for all the help.

It has been two weeks since my callback with my #1 choice and I want to send an email expressing my continued interest.

1. Do I send it to the partner I did the callback with or to the legal recruiter?
2. What exactly is this email supposed to say? I don't want ti to sound like a carbon copy of my thank you email I sent to the partner after the CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:37 am

Question: you seem to stress networking a lot. what's the value for big firm recruiting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 am

A week ago I sent an email to a hiring partner's assistant just asking for a time frame for decisions (didn't want to bother the partner, who is probably very busy). He forwarded my email to the hiring partner and said he'll get back to me shortly. This was a week ago tomorrow: should I read into this? I assumed they're about ready to make decisions, but maybe my letter is in the mail? Should I just relax?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the help.

It has been two weeks since my callback with my #1 choice and I want to send an email expressing my continued interest.

1. Do I send it to the partner I did the callback with or to the legal recruiter?
2. What exactly is this email supposed to say? I don't want ti to sound like a carbon copy of my thank you email I sent to the partner after the CB.
1. Send it to both. The partner will appreciate it but will most likely just forward on to the recruiter. Better to go ahead and send it to both of them
2. Short and sweet. "Dear X, Thank you again for the time you spent with me, etc. . . . I want to express my continued interest in working at your firm . . . I look forward to hearing from you"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: you seem to stress networking a lot. what's the value for big firm recruiting?
The legal profession is very much a people business no matter what type of law you want to practice in whatever market. "It's not what you know, it's who you know" - very important in this industry. Networking will help you get a job now because of introductions to others throughout the legal community. Later in your career, it will help you develop business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:30 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question: you seem to stress networking a lot. what's the value for big firm recruiting?
The legal profession is very much a people business no matter what type of law you want to practice in whatever market. "It's not what you know, it's who you know" - very important in this industry. Networking will help you get a job now because of introductions to others throughout the legal community. Later in your career, it will help you develop business.
How does this manifest in hiring decisions?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:A week ago I sent an email to a hiring partner's assistant just asking for a time frame for decisions (didn't want to bother the partner, who is probably very busy). He forwarded my email to the hiring partner and said he'll get back to me shortly. This was a week ago tomorrow: should I read into this? I assumed they're about ready to make decisions, but maybe my letter is in the mail? Should I just relax?
Just relax. Remember that first and foremost, the hiring partner is a PARTNER first. Client work could have come up and delayed meetings or decisions. Shortly can mean a week or longer. I know it is tough, but just try to be patient. Have you followed up with the recruiter?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Not all hiring is done through OCI. The hiring landscape continues to change because of the economy and I suspect firms will continue to use alternative hiring methods more and more. Networking can help you get the initial interview with a firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:42 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Not all hiring is done through OCI. The hiring landscape continues to change because of the economy and I suspect firms will continue to use alternative hiring methods more and more. Networking can help you get the initial interview with a firm.
Imagine during an OCI screener, the candidate signals that he knows a senior partner. Later, the screening attorney contacts the partner and the partner vouches for that candidate. How does this matter and why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 am

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A week ago I sent an email to a hiring partner's assistant just asking for a time frame for decisions (didn't want to bother the partner, who is probably very busy). He forwarded my email to the hiring partner and said he'll get back to me shortly. This was a week ago tomorrow: should I read into this? I assumed they're about ready to make decisions, but maybe my letter is in the mail? Should I just relax?
Just relax. Remember that first and foremost, the hiring partner is a PARTNER first. Client work could have come up and delayed meetings or decisions. Shortly can mean a week or longer. I know it is tough, but just try to be patient. Have you followed up with the recruiter?
I've never met the recruiter, so I feel like emailing him would be kind of odd. The only contact was the initial cover letter. At this point, decisions are about to come out and I've already emailed the assistant (who forwarded it to the partner) so I feel like an additional email to the recruiting coordinator would be a nuisance. From a few pages back, this is also the same hiring partner that I didn't get to meet with during my interviews - so I'm kind of nervous that'll bite me in the behind (but I did meet with him last year).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 am

I have a question: I accepted a biglaw SA offer on the east coast. I suspect that my firm may look pretty good, but I don't really know. Anyway, my life situation changed and now I desperately need to get a 1st year associate position in a specific major city (which isn't one of the top 5 biggest markets). Obviously, I'm in a bit of a bind but not a horrible one because I do have a good summer position. However, I would like to work early and effectively to hopefully get hired out of the 3L job market in the other city. What's the best approach, as a 3L, to network and send out resumes? Should I start e-mailing alums at some point? Should I make it a point to go to that city and go to bar association events? In terms of my school/rank - my grades are fine and my school is fine (Top 15% at a T25, but neither are going to wow anyone. How would you suggest going about this so I give myself the best chance to get a good job in this specific city now that I have almost a year to plan? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 am

How do law firms view summer associates who split their summers between two cities (that are geographically close but are considered completely different)? Assume that both firms are half-summer programs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question: I accepted a biglaw SA offer on the east coast. I suspect that my firm may look pretty good, but I don't really know. Anyway, my life situation changed and now I desperately need to get a 1st year associate position in a specific major city (which isn't one of the top 5 biggest markets). Obviously, I'm in a bit of a bind but not a horrible one because I do have a good summer position. However, I would like to work early and effectively to hopefully get hired out of the 3L job market in the other city. What's the best approach, as a 3L, to network and send out resumes? Should I start e-mailing alums at some point? Should I make it a point to go to that city and go to bar association events? In terms of my school/rank - my grades are fine and my school is fine (Top 15% at a T25, but neither are going to wow anyone. How would you suggest going about this so I give myself the best chance to get a good job in this specific city now that I have almost a year to plan? Thanks!
You should start to research the area and find out the top firms you would like to target. Then make a list of all alums at those firms and start to reach out to them. Ask for informational interviews to learn more about their practices and firms.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do law firms view summer associates who split their summers between two cities (that are geographically close but are considered completely different)? Assume that both firms are half-summer programs.
If the firm's both have split options, they know the risks associated with allowing splits and it is not a problem. Example, when we had a summer program, we always had first half and our major competitor had second half. We almost always "shared" summers and knew it. This was never a problem for the summer associates. Same goes for summers that split the second half out of town.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi,

Can you tell me how extensive background checks tend to be and what sort of things would make a firm rescind an offer?

Thanks

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Can you tell me how extensive background checks tend to be and what sort of things would make a firm rescind an offer?

Thanks
Background screens will generally check your criminal record nationwide, credit scores, SSN records and UG school graduation. If you fill out an application and do not disclose information that is requested (ie. convictions) and it comes back on your screen, that is a red flag. Not necessarily because of the conviction, but because you were not honest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Background screens will generally check your criminal record nationwide, credit scores, SSN records and UG school graduation. If you fill out an application and do not disclose information that is requested (ie. convictions) and it comes back on your screen, that is a red flag. Not necessarily because of the conviction, but because you were not honest.

Convictions or charges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:51 pm

i assume you also do a previous employment verification?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i assume you also do a previous employment verification?
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:05 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i assume you also do a previous employment verification?
Yes.
What does this employment verification entail? Just a simple "did he/she work there" or do they go through everything on the resume?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”