Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do you view part-time and full-time students differently? if so, how?
Historically, we have only hired full time students. Most likely because of our region/market.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as the diversity boost goes, what if an applicant is half-URM, half-white, half-black/half-white, half-asian/half-white, but looks white? How does that affect your decision?
As far as how the candidate would be classified for diversity purposes, I suppose it would depend on how the student self-selects. We don't have diversity quotas, so I'm not sure what you mean by this question or what you are looking for. Please clarify.

harborleaguemvp

New

Post by harborleaguemvp » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:28 pm

I am one of the many 3Ls dying to know what mysterious firm you work at that actually consider 3Ls, but on a lighter note, is there one thing in particular an applicant to do when mass mailing to really distinguish himself from others, or does it ultimately come down to grades? Much thanks for the input.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 pm

harborleaguemvp wrote:I am one of the many 3Ls dying to know what mysterious firm you work at that actually consider 3Ls, but on a lighter note, is there one thing in particular an applicant to do when mass mailing to really distinguish himself from others, or does it ultimately come down to grades? Much thanks for the input.
List out what extracurricular activities you participate in and why you ultimately want to be X type of lawyer. You want to sell yourself in a short amount of space and tell me why you will be an asset to my firm (or any other firm).

... Oh, and I wish I could tell you who we are so you and all of your 3L breathren could apply but I don't want to get banned for advertising!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As far as the diversity boost goes, what if an applicant is half-URM, half-white, half-black/half-white, half-asian/half-white, but looks white? How does that affect your decision?
As far as how the candidate would be classified for diversity purposes, I suppose it would depend on how the student self-selects. We don't have diversity quotas, so I'm not sure what you mean by this question or what you are looking for. Please clarify.
I'm a different poster but I'm in a very similar situation and I understand what the first person is trying to get at. I am half-white, half-Hispanic. Due to my father being white, I have a white last name but a relatively Hispanic first name. White people assume I am white and Hispanic people assume I am Hispanic.

The running joke within minority student groups at my school is that if you are hired by a law firm you need to be ready to show up in brochures touting the firm's commitment to diversity. The implication being that firms like to show off their diverse employees. However, mixed race students such as the OP and myself wonder if our "diversity" is worth as much to a firm given that we legitimately pass off as being white.

I understand this may come off like a silly issue, and I'm only speaking for myself here, but mixed race individuals face a slightly different battle in our society. Oftentimes, some minorities aren't as accepting of mixed race individuals, especially those individuals whose appearance may allow them to pass off as white. At the same time, you never truly feel white.

On a slightly related note, my family lived in Latin America until I was eight years old and I was raised in a bilingual household. I speak both languages natively. I can power my way through a Spanish document but I can't write in Spanish. Is it worth noting on my resume that I am conversational in Spanish or will that only serve to highlight that I can't write in Spanish?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Once you make it past the preselect stage, what's the key to getting a callback?

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
I'm a different poster but I'm in a very similar situation and I understand what the first person is trying to get at. I am half-white, half-Hispanic. Due to my father being white, I have a white last name but a relatively Hispanic first name. White people assume I am white and Hispanic people assume I am Hispanic.

The running joke within minority student groups at my school is that if you are hired by a law firm you need to be ready to show up in brochures touting the firm's commitment to diversity. The implication being that firms like to show off their diverse employees. However, mixed race students such as the OP and myself wonder if our "diversity" is worth as much to a firm given that we legitimately pass off as being white.

I understand this may come off like a silly issue, and I'm only speaking for myself here, but mixed race individuals face a slightly different battle in our society. Oftentimes, some minorities aren't as accepting of mixed race individuals, especially those individuals whose appearance may allow them to pass off as white. At the same time, you never truly feel white.

On a slightly related note, my family lived in Latin America until I was eight years old and I was raised in a bilingual household. I speak both languages natively. I can power my way through a Spanish document but I can't write in Spanish. Is it worth noting on my resume that I am conversational in Spanish or will that only serve to highlight that I can't write in Spanish?
Jesús Smith, is that you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Jesús Smith, is that you?
You're pretty damn close (my last name is one of the more common English last names, along the lines of Smith and Jones).

Changing my first name from Spanish to English requires changing one vowel. My dad insisted on going with the English version but I've met only one other white person with my first name. I've known about a dozen or so URM's with my first name. Half have used the English spelling (I often wonder if the people that do the birth certificates at the hospital made that decision for the parents because the parents couldn't speak English).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Once you make it past the preselect stage, what's the key to getting a callback?
Once you are past pre-select, it is really about fit with the firm. Does your personality mesh with our firm culture and vice versa.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Once you make it past the preselect stage, what's the key to getting a callback?
Once you are past pre-select, it is really about fit with the firm. Does your personality mesh with our firm culture and vice versa.
Oops. That was my reply. Hit the wrong button ...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:Oops. That was my reply. Hit the wrong button ...

Thank you. Do references help? And how do you bring them in/up when a firm doesn't specifically ask for them?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 pm

A little bit offbeat: How do people within corporate law, especially in the recruiting wing, view the oversupply of lawyers? Do you feel that if one doesn't work out, there are a dozen to take his/her place? Or do you feel that beyond a JD, there are a very small number of people who are/can be qualified to practice in your area of specialty, and thus value highly those whom you select?

Or is it something in between?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:Oops. That was my reply. Hit the wrong button ...

Thank you. Do references help? And how do you bring them in/up when a firm doesn't specifically ask for them?
Great question. References definitely help, especially if they show ties to the area. Include them as a second page to your resume.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:17 pm

delusional wrote:A little bit offbeat: How do people within corporate law, especially in the recruiting wing, view the oversupply of lawyers? Do you feel that if one doesn't work out, there are a dozen to take his/her place? Or do you feel that beyond a JD, there are a very small number of people who are/can be qualified to practice in your area of specialty, and thus value highly those whom you select?

Or is it something in between?
I don't believe lawyers are interchangeable and completely replaceable. The skill, yes. The person, no. While there are a ridiculous number of candidates on the market for various reasons, when we look at laterals or entry level attorneys, we don't just plug a body in a slot. We need someone that will fit within our culture long term and be able to develop relationships with our clients. We highly value everyone we hire.

NE1410S

New

Post by NE1410S » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Thank you for answering questions!!

I noticed this was brought up earlier but I wasn't sure if there was an answer. I have a short and well-trimmed beard. I keep a beard because it covers a scar. The scar isn't that bad, but I prefer to keep it covered because it makes me self conscious. Should I shave for interviews and callbacks?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 pm

NE1410S wrote:Thank you for answering questions!!

I noticed this was brought up earlier but I wasn't sure if there was an answer. I have a short and well-trimmed beard. I keep a beard because it covers a scar. The scar isn't that bad, but I prefer to keep it covered because it makes me self conscious. Should I shave for interviews and callbacks?
Probably depends on the market you are interviewing in. Personally, we don't mind. As long as you are trimmed and well-groomed. Just don't look like a mountain-man! Seriously, keep it - especially if you are more self- conscious without it.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 pm

have you ever considered in investing in make up? Suck it up if your a guy. It's good for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 pm

How do you weed people out during screening interviews? Are they just to make sure your a normal person?

teem705

New

Post by teem705 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 pm

One more question if you have a chance (sorry this is an awesome opportunity- you're such a great resource):

How much of a role does networking play into finding a 3L position, and would you recommend it?

Obviously, nothing bad has ever come from making connections. But if a firm needs people at a time like spring (as opposed to the old OCI times), can networking help put you in the right place at the right time? Or is it different in firms due to the power structure (partners v. hiring partners v. hiring committees), and making a connection might not mean much.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 pm

uvahooo wrote:

have you ever considered in investing in make up? Suck it up if your a guy. It's good for you.
Well, that was mean.

OP, Please do not wear makeup. You will mess it up and we will talk about you for years to come ...

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you weed people out during screening interviews? Are they just to make sure your a normal person?
Pretty much sums it up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 pm

teem705 wrote:One more question if you have a chance (sorry this is an awesome opportunity- you're such a great resource):

How much of a role does networking play into finding a 3L position, and would you recommend it?

Obviously, nothing bad has ever come from making connections. But if a firm needs people at a time like spring (as opposed to the old OCI times), can networking help put you in the right place at the right time? Or is it different in firms due to the power structure (partners v. hiring partners v. hiring committees), and making a connection might not mean much.
Happy to help ...

Connections make all the difference in the world. Any time you can have people vouch for you "from the inside" the better.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 pm

What do you think of lawyers with big/strong personalities? Sometimes I feel like I need to tone it down to fit in (lawyers are dull).

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Danteshek wrote:What do you think of lawyers with big/strong personalities? Sometimes I feel like I need to tone it down to fit in (lawyers are dull).
Completely depends on the practice group you are interested in. We have a couple of groups that would scare a wall flower to death and others that would never be able to handle a big personality. My guess is that you are leaning towards litigation??

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
Danteshek wrote:What do you think of lawyers with big/strong personalities? Sometimes I feel like I need to tone it down to fit in (lawyers are dull).
Completely depends on the practice group you are interested in. We have a couple of groups that would scare a wall flower to death and others that would never be able to handle a big personality. My guess is that you are leaning towards litigation??
Yes, litigation. I have a bit of ADD as well

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”