Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Gold

Re: Law firm recruiter answering questions for a bit

Post by Cupidity » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am

Dou you have any specific advice for phone interviews? I understand that the same rules generally apply, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should do differently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Lawfirmrecruiter: Studies indicate that unstructured, open-ended job interviews have the predictive value of roughly zero for job performance. What objective criteria does your firm use to evaluate your work as a recruiter? I.e. to what extent does your work add to the firm's ability to pick the most likely to succeed candidates beyond the obvious strength of their resumes/GPA's? Has anyone at your firm tried to measure this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Affect of debt downgrade on hiring?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Would a resume with Law Review and public interest 1L summer experience or a resume with secondary journal but law firm experience as a 1L summer look better to you at OCI (realize this is different from firm to firm, but just a general answer is appreciated)? Thanks.

pennoyerrox2

New

Post by pennoyerrox2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:54 pm

LFR: I tried to PM you with a message, did it go through?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm

pennoyerrox2 wrote:LFR: I tried to PM you with a message, did it go through?
She's probably swamped with S2J right now; CBs just went out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Would a resume with Law Review and public interest 1L summer experience or a resume with secondary journal but law firm experience as a 1L summer look better to you at OCI (realize this is different from firm to firm, but just a general answer is appreciated)? Thanks.
I don't exactly understand how you are choosing between those two. I guess you got an offer from a firm for 1L on condition you didn't take LR?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Cupidity wrote:Dou you have any specific advice for phone interviews? I understand that the same rules generally apply, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should do differently?
The same rules apply but be mindful of "dead air." While you don't want to drone on and on, you also don't want to have a lot of silence. Remember this should be a good conversation so be prepared to ask the person some questions to keep it going.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:00 pm

pennoyerrox2 wrote:LFR: I tried to PM you with a message, did it go through?
Check your inbox, just replied.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a question about cover letters before EIP... Columbia uses a pure lottery system for scheduling/bidding on interviews, and only a handful of firms require cover letters in addition to resumes. Furthermore, our Career Services has told me that cover letters are simply not necessary. However, I have prepared and am considering sending cover letters to all of the firms that I've landed interviews with, simply to introduce myself/attempt to get on their radar. Is this worthwhile? Or does the negative impact of, say, a mistake, outweigh any potential positives to be gained given that I already have the interviews scheduled? How would you react to receiving a cover letter before EIP if you know that you'll be meeting the person in only a few days?

Where possible, I would email these letters directly to the attorney who is listed as the interviewer and cc the relevant recruiter. Just FYI, I'm a rising 2L at Columbia, with below median grades (A-, B+, then all B's), and am looking for any edge at all in what could prove to be a rough interview cycle considering my grades.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Would a resume with Law Review and public interest 1L summer experience or a resume with secondary journal but law firm experience as a 1L summer look better to you at OCI (realize this is different from firm to firm, but just a general answer is appreciated)? Thanks.
I don't exactly understand how you are choosing between those two. I guess you got an offer from a firm for 1L on condition you didn't take LR?
I worked for a firm 1L summer but have a secondary journal instead of law review. Would I look better or worse than someone who only got public interest for 1L summer but made law review.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I worked for a firm 1L summer but have a secondary journal instead of law review. Would I look better or worse than someone who only got public interest for 1L summer but made law review.
My gut instinct is that the Law Review person with 1L public interest work would definitely get the boost, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I didn't think that the gap between 1L public interest / 1L firm is nearly as large as the gap between Law Review / secondary journal. Isn't the consensus that 1L summer jobs don't really matter as long as they're legal and give you interesting stories to tell about your summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 pm

I think we all really appreciate your willingness to provide help in our career search. This truly reinforces your prior statement that you became a recruiter to help others realize their goals of being a lawyer.

My question is this, I go to a school ranked around 25-30 and my GPA places me around the top 15%. However, I'm being offered interviews by V10 firms and other firms who state that their required cutoff is top 10% - something doesn't seem right. I have a pretty good feeling that this is because I'm an underrepresented minority with a rather lengthy resume, as well as some interesting achievements. I was wondering if these firms who I'm truly out of the traditional ballpark for are actually seriously considering hiring me or if they're just providing me that proverbial snowball's chance to wow in an interview. In other words, if a candidate seemed interesting enough to interview although their grades are not exactly what your firms demands, does this mean you really want to hire this candidate or that you're just cracking the door a bit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Would it significantly hurt my 2L OCI chances if I study abroad or RA 1L summer?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:10 pm

NYC Law wrote:Would it significantly hurt my 2L OCI chances if I study abroad or RA 1L summer?
Nobody looks down on RA'ing, why do people think this. Study abroad is probably a different story. Sorry for jumping in, I just don't understand this sentiment.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:19 pm

beach_terror wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Would it significantly hurt my 2L OCI chances if I study abroad or RA 1L summer?
Nobody looks down on RA'ing, why do people think this. Study abroad is probably a different story. Sorry for jumping in, I just don't understand this sentiment.
The study abroad program has an internship component if that changes things, so it's not just completely a vacation under the facade of school.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm

NYC Law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
The study abroad program has an internship component if that changes things, so it's not just completely a vacation under the facade of school.
Haha no I was coming at you saying that RA'ing would somehow hurt your OCI chances. It won't, I don't get why people think that was my point. I don't know much about study abroad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:28 pm

beach_terror wrote: Nobody looks down on RA'ing
i do

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beach_terror wrote: Nobody looks down on RA'ing
i do
Well luckily you're opinion doesn't count for much. Why though? I've worked much harder than people who "work" (3 days a week, u srs?) at the federal court near school. I can spin it in interviews, so whatever.

Edit: done hijacking, continue thread and won't reply to anything else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question about cover letters before EIP... Columbia uses a pure lottery system for scheduling/bidding on interviews, and only a handful of firms require cover letters in addition to resumes. Furthermore, our Career Services has told me that cover letters are simply not necessary. However, I have prepared and am considering sending cover letters to all of the firms that I've landed interviews with, simply to introduce myself/attempt to get on their radar. Is this worthwhile? Or does the negative impact of, say, a mistake, outweigh any potential positives to be gained given that I already have the interviews scheduled? How would you react to receiving a cover letter before EIP if you know that you'll be meeting the person in only a few days?

Where possible, I would email these letters directly to the attorney who is listed as the interviewer and cc the relevant recruiter. Just FYI, I'm a rising 2L at Columbia, with below median grades (A-, B+, then all B's), and am looking for any edge at all in what could prove to be a rough interview cycle considering my grades.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Hoping the Recruiter will respond to this later, but anyone else have thoughts on the above in the meantime?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 pm

How would you look at it if a Partner called from another office and "put in the good word" for me before the interview?

I really did earn the review on merit - it isn't my uncle's friend from college or anything like that. Is this a hiring faux pas, or impressive, or neither?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would you look at it if a Partner called from another office and "put in the good word" for me before the interview?

I really did earn the review on merit - it isn't my uncle's friend from college or anything like that. Is this a hiring faux pas, or impressive, or neither?
Impressive, but they might wonder why you're not more interested in that partner's office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm

What are your thoughts on the "Tell me about yourself" question? What are interviewers looking for when they ask it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:46 pm

I've had one interview so far, I think it went well, but I have more down the road.

One of the questions I was asked was, "What do you like about law school?"

My answer was, "I enjoy the friendship and camraderie law school produces. I like that, unlike my undergraduate work, teamwork and cooperation were essential to maserting the material and preparing for exams. Also, because there isn't usually a correct answer, but rather, better and worse answers, the imprtant role discussion and multiple view points play in achieving the best result."

Is this too warm and fuzzy? Should I change it in the future?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm

When people talk about having ties to a market, is something like this enough:
  • Visited the area several summers as a teenager
  • Have a lot of extended family in the area (none of which, unfortunately, I keep in touch with)
  • Lived in the state (not in city where law work is) for half a year as a teenager
  • Have family and want to raise kids in the area
The market I'm interested in is a secondary market and I will be coming from a T14.

edit: I can't seem to make the list function work. Sorry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”