Varsity Sport

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Varsity Sport

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

How do employers view having played a varsity sport in UG?

I honestly have no idea if it matters at all, I'm really just curious to hear what others have to say.

Thanks

thesealocust

Re: Varsity Sport

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 pm

It's better than getting sent to prison for money laundering in college, but probably not as good as getting great grades at a great law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's better than getting sent to prison for money laundering in college, but probably not as good as getting great grades at a great law school.

Sarcastic, normally helpful Sealocust, is unhelpful.

I guess i was thinking along the lines if there was any sort of WE esque boost.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sarcastic, normally helpful Sealocust, is unhelpful.

I do birthdays and weddings.

Anonymous User wrote:I guess i was thinking along the lines if there was any sort of WE esque boost.

Not even close.

Crap like varsity sports on your resume is impressive, but everybody has impressive stuff on their resume. It's just conversation fodder at this level. That conversation fodder can win you jobs, and a lack of that conversation fodder can be an obstacle, but there's nothing that substitutes for work experience going into OCI (except grades and school).

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Depending on the sport and school I imagine it could be pretty impressive and, depending on the interviewer, might set you above others with similar qualifications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:39 pm

I did a varsity sport in UG and law school. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to compensate for the below median grades it created....

bigtttymer

Postby bigtttymer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:16 pm

you're probably a lock for skadden m&a bro

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 pm

From my experience (getting a job after UG) it didn't necessarily help in the hiring process, but he helped in networking. The golf league were I work is pretty hard to join since there's only X amount of teams and most people don't quit their job and keep playing in the golf league. People knew I played golf in college after an interoffice email went out introducing me and shockingly enough I got asked to be an alternate for a team and am now on the team. I'm by far the youngest person in the league and am on a team with my boss's, boss's, boss. I think playing a varsity sport definitely helped with that networking opportunity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:29 am

bigtttymer wrote:you're probably a lock for skadden m&a bro

I was thinking W&C appellate.

Return to “Legal Employment”