Top 15% UVA for DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 15% UVA for DC

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

2 years work experience, right around the top 15% cutoff, any suggestions as to target firms in DC, or as to what firms would be off-limits/reaches?

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Top 15% UVA for DC

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Not sure if you're the same poster as the OGI thread. The reaches are W&C, Cov, S&C, GDC, and K&E (I might be forgetting one or two), but they're not 100% off-limits. Besides those firms, there are a handful that most of Law Review tend to bid on (Hogan, A&P, Wilmer, Skadden, OMM, Ropes, and similarily ranked firms with large DC offices), but you're well within the GPA range for those firms. Going down the rankings your odds will increase as you'll be competing with fewer Law Review and more top third to top quarter folks.

As far as specific firms to target (beyond the ones named above), you need to do your research into (a) DC office size, and (b) practice area strengths. You probably don't want to go for tiny DC branch offices, and most DC firms tend to be really strong in a handful of areas, so you want to find firms that have practice areas that suit your interests. Chambers is extremely helpful here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Not to hijack but figured I'd just comment on this thread. Right at top 10% cutoff (3.68), 2 years WE (in DC) -- how many bids do you think I should be throwing at secondary markets? Would it be a bad idea to just go all-in for DC?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to hijack but figured I'd just comment on this thread. Right at top 10% cutoff (3.68), 2 years WE (in DC) -- how many bids do you think I should be throwing at secondary markets? Would it be a bad idea to just go all-in for DC?
Can't answer for sure without knowing what the list of firms that are coming entails. There may only be 43 large DC employers, at which point your 7 other bids could intelligently be spent elsewhere. There's no reason for you to feel pressure to bid on another market with those credentials though, you're well above the point where there's danger to bidding on DC beyond the inherent chaotic nature of OGI.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to hijack but figured I'd just comment on this thread. Right at top 10% cutoff (3.68), 2 years WE (in DC) -- how many bids do you think I should be throwing at secondary markets? Would it be a bad idea to just go all-in for DC?
Can't answer for sure without knowing what the list of firms that are coming entails. There may only be 43 large DC employers, at which point your 7 other bids could intelligently be spent elsewhere. There's no reason for you to feel pressure to bid on another market with those credentials though, you're well above the point where there's danger to bidding on DC beyond the inherent chaotic nature of OGI.
I think regardless of one's GPA, you should still throw in at least 8-10 bids for the major NYC firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:Not sure if you're the same poster as the OGI thread. The reaches are W&C, Cov, S&C, GDC, and K&E (I might be forgetting one or two), but they're not 100% off-limits. Besides those firms, there are a handful that most of Law Review tend to bid on (Hogan, A&P, Wilmer, Skadden, OMM, Ropes, and similarily ranked firms with large DC offices), but you're well within the GPA range for those firms. Going down the rankings your odds will increase as you'll be competing with fewer Law Review and more top third to top quarter folks.

As far as specific firms to target (beyond the ones named above), you need to do your research into (a) DC office size, and (b) practice area strengths. You probably don't want to go for tiny DC branch offices, and most DC firms tend to be really strong in a handful of areas, so you want to find firms that have practice areas that suit your interests. Chambers is extremely helpful here.
Don't forget about some of the other strong DC offices/firms like Steptoe and Sidley Austin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 am

I'm in a similar position- top 10%- probably really top 5% though we never find out for sure- at a lower T14. Is it "safe," or as safe as it can be, to bid all DC? I think I will probably have average interview skills- is there a legitimate chance of getting shut out of DC with my grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:17 am

vamedic03 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
I think regardless of one's GPA, you should still throw in at least 8-10 bids for the major NYC firms.
Thanks so much, thesealocust and vamedic03!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a similar position- top 10%- probably really top 5% though we never find out for sure- at a lower T14. Is it "safe," or as safe as it can be, to bid all DC? I think I will probably have average interview skills- is there a legitimate chance of getting shut out of DC with my grades?
Yes. It's not high, but I'd bid some safeties in NYC.

I ended up with a V5 offer in NY but only got one (good) lower-V100 DC firm with relevant work experience and after a steller interview.

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a similar position- top 10%- probably really top 5% though we never find out for sure- at a lower T14. Is it "safe," or as safe as it can be, to bid all DC? I think I will probably have average interview skills- is there a legitimate chance of getting shut out of DC with my grades?
Doesn't seem like anything is 'safe' ITE. I would definitely throw bids at NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”