NYLS and Weil

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYLS and Weil

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm not trying to be mean, but can anyone explain to me how ITE someone from NYLS can get a SA position at Weil. I know someone from that school spending the summer there. I'm really curious as to how that happens when there are unemployed students from schools that are ranked much higher than NYLS. Is it geography? Or do I just have the wrong impression of NYLS?

I only ask because when one of this student's non-law friends asked me if the SA I'm talking about should go to NYLS, I told him to tell her absolutely not ITE. When she told me that's where she was working at Weil, I was floored.

Helmholtz

Re: NYLS and Weil

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:45 pm

A handful of students at NYLS get really good jobs. The reason you shouldn't go is because there's nothing guaranteeing you that you'll be in that handful. Just because somebody wins big playing the lottery doesn't mean you got out and spend your life savings on lottery tickets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Agreed. OP does not understand statistics.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Hi OP! Are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. Sorry about that.

Anyway, to answer your question:

http://www.weil.com/laynebehrens/

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.weil.com/matthewgoren/

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.weil.com/christinatrapani/

http://www.weil.com/briandrozda/

(Nota Bene: Those are just the associates, there are skads of partners and counsel too).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:Hi OP! Are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. Sorry about that.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

(Nota Bene: Those are just the associates, there are skads of partners and counsel too).

Sealocust, are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. None of the links that you just posted are associates who graduated ITE, so what you posted had nothing to do with OP's question.

The answer is that some people win the BigLaw lottery big time, and entry level work at large law firms isn't exactly rocket science. BigLaw is mainly hard because of the soul-crushing hours. I'm sure that most people in the top 10% at NYLS could hold their own at Weil.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm

lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:Sealocust, are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. None of the links that you just posted are associates who graduated ITE, so what you posted had nothing to do with OP's question.

The answer is that some people win the BigLaw lottery big time, and entry level work at large law firms isn't exactly rocket science. BigLaw is mainly hard because of the soul-crushing hours. I'm sure that most people in the top 10% at NYLS could hold their own at Weil.

Cool anonymous call-out, bro. u scared?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Really? I would think it's more like "almost none" than "some".

lawschoolROCKS22

Postby lawschoolROCKS22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:41 pm

rad law wrote:
lawschoolROCKS22 wrote:Sealocust, are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. None of the links that you just posted are associates who graduated ITE, so what you posted had nothing to do with OP's question.

Cool anonymous call-out, bro. u scared?

OP asked a question. Sealocust talked shit and gave a stupid response. I answered OP's question in a way that was flattering for neither NYLS nor large firms. You never know who's going to be reading this site, hence the original anon answer. Not sure how you made my quote appear not anonymous, but whatever. Basically, my point was, large firms know that people at the top of the class at any school are going to be able to do the work, and if some of the partners went to NYLS, then there's probably going to be at least some pressure to hire a recent grad.

bigtttymer

Postby bigtttymer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Hi OP! Are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. Sorry about that.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Sealocust, are you dumb? Because you seem dumb. None of the links that you just posted are associates who graduated ITE, so what you posted had nothing to do with OP's question.

Not to mention they are all good looking. It's remarkable that a non-honors TTT kids could get V10 firms pre-ITE. Oh, how things have changed.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 pm

bigtttymer wrote:
Not to mention they are all good looking.

Ok, we are not seeing the same pictures.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Do you think those peeps were at the top of their class? Or was pre-ite just like ridiculous

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 pm

thecilent wrote:Do you think those peeps were at the top of their class? Or was pre-ite just like ridiculous

There's a 2009 grad in that mix, so it's not about the economy. #1 or 2 in your class at NYLS will get you a job like that, even now.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Renzo wrote:
bigtttymer wrote:

Have you spent much time in a biglaw office? Those people are biglaw 7-9's.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Renzo wrote:
thecilent wrote:Do you think those peeps were at the top of their class? Or was pre-ite just like ridiculous

There's a 2009 grad in that mix, so it's not about the economy. #1 or 2 in your class at NYLS will get you a job like that, even now.

Yeah so you think those kids were all pretty much top top of class then?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Renzo wrote:
bigtttymer wrote:

No matter how much time I spent on a farm, I still wouldn't fuck a goat.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote: When she told me that's where she was working at Weil, I was floored.

I can't say why the SeaLocust called them "stupid," but I myself find the OP's post off-putting. Why would the OP or anyone be floored to learn that an NYLS grad landed a prestigious job over a student at a higher ranked school? All law schools have essentially the same curriculum and at the end of the day an exceptional student is an exceptional student.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Renzo wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Renzo wrote:
bigtttymer wrote:

No matter how much time I spent on a farm, I still wouldn't fuck a goat.

That's a shame. With wit like that, you'd have half a chance of talking the goat into it.

@OP: the great biglaw lottery keeps third-tier schools in business. You shouldn't be surprised the gamble pays off once in a while. FWIW, the people I've met from NYLS and similar schools in biglaw are really smart and work really hard.

JoeC12

Postby JoeC12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Wowwww so my post the other day doesn't seen too farfetched now does it? For all you pompous pricks that ripped me apart under the "what TLS fails to realize" subject, shows how much you know.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Wowwww so my post the other day doesn't seen too farfetched now does it? For all you pompous pricks that ripped me apart under the "what TLS fails to realize" subject, shows how much you know.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Wowwww so my post the other day doesn't seen too farfetched now does it? For all you pompous pricks that ripped me apart under the "what TLS fails to realize" subject, shows how much you know.

lol.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 pm

There's no reason to drag your thread into this one. It's not constructive in the least and if I recall your thread correctly, this doesn't disprove some of the major and valid issues that were brought up about your hypothetical.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Hahaha

JoeC12

Postby JoeC12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Billy, if you don't see how this particular thread validates the issues that I brought up than you must have a severe misunderstanding of the English language.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Billy, if you don't see how this particular thread validates the issues that I brought up than you must have a severe misunderstanding of the English language.

Fuck. I guess that means the only language I understand is Mandarin.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:01 am

JoeC12 wrote:Billy, if you don't see how this particular thread validates the issues that I brought up than you must have a severe misunderstanding of the English language.

There are 4 times as many Cornell law students at Weil, NY, than there are New York Law students, and New York Law graduates nearly 2.5 times as many students as Cornell does.

Return to “Legal Employment”