Custom-Tailored shirts (Chicago)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Custom-Tailored shirts (Chicago)?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 am

Hey all,

I have a somewhat unusual body shape and, well, normal dress shirts don't fit me super well. I've been to probably about a dozen of the standard dress clothes places (Joseph A Bank, Nordstrom, even Men's Wearhouse) and really haven't had any luck. And, given that I'll be getting my first SA paycheck shortly, I figure that I might as well splurge a bit and get some tailored shirts.

That said, I'm still not looking to spend >$100/shirt if I can help it--I'm just not super comfortable spending that much on a shirt (but I suppose if I'm going to have to pay the big bucks to get a tailored shirt, I prob can manage it). So, does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find someone in Chicago who can make a dress shirt that will fit me, look professional, and not eat all of up my "hard-earned" SA cash? Also, since I've already started my work, ideally it's not going to take them six weeks to finish making them (although I guess I'll need dress shirts that fit after my SA time too, so this last bit isn't a deal-killer).

Thanks!

Aston2412

Re: Custom-Tailored shirts (Chicago)?

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:15 am

Having clothes custom made for you is likely to be incredibly expensive.

Is buying shirts from on of those stores and having IT tailored not an option? I'm sure that would be far easier and much cheaper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 am

OP here. Any idea how much it costs to get, say, a Jos A Bank shirt altered? How much can tailors do when they alter a shirt? In that case, anyone know where I could get my shirts altered?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am

Sorry, I've never had a shirt altered - it just seems like it would be cheaper than having clothes custom made.

JAB does alterations on suits in-house. You might check with them about having a shirt altered. Nordstrom too.

upgrade

Postby upgrade » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Paul Chang and Tom James are two I know off the top of my head. Prices will be > $100 per shirt. There are also places that will take orders online for custom measurements.

You can probably find an alterations person to trim the body and sleeves of your shirts for $10-$15 per shirt.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Back in the day I remember buying a shirt from Saks and having the sides taken in (made slimmer) and the sleeves shortened, and I think it cost about $40 total. Price usually depends on whether you bought the shirt from that particular merchant or not. Just call any store and ask them how much it would cost (all the dept stores have set prices that they can quote you).

Since you feel the need to post anonymously about your dress shirt size, any chance you could say what part of the shirt doesn't fit? If you're athletic (small waist, larger upper) try the brooks bros non-iron extra slim shirts. Use your student ABA card for additional 15% off (even applies on the 3 for $[price] deals). Brooks also does made to measure which I think costs minimum $140/shirt (for cheapest fabric), but takes about 4-6 weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks for your help!

My specific problem is that I have a skinny neck. I'm pretty skinny/short overall, but would fit into the smaller sizes generally carried by places if the neck fit better. I've been able to find a couple of slim fitting shirts that work ok, but nothing great.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for your help!

My specific problem is that I have a skinny neck. I'm pretty skinny/short overall, but would fit into the smaller sizes generally carried by places if the neck fit better. I've been able to find a couple of slim fitting shirts that work ok, but nothing great.

The neck is the only thing on a shirt that really needs to fit off the rack. Find some decent shirts at Brooks Bros, Jos. A Banks, Nordstroms, wherever, and take them to a tailor. If you spend a little more (like Brooks Bros/Nordstroms range), they'll be able to order you really tiny neck sizes if you need. Then it should cost you about $20 a shirt to have them fitted, and you'll look good. Plus they'll stay tucked in and won't bunch up.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 am

http://www.moderntailor.com/

Heard decent things about them, and they are reasonably priced.

emilymorgan

Custom Made Shirts

Postby emilymorgan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 am

NOTHING TO SEE BUT Image

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 am

Just how thin are you? have you had your neck size measured?

If you're a small guy, my guess is you probably wear a size 14 neck? A lot of stores (like Brooks and such) don't have those on the shelf because they're not a popular size. They are in the warehouse/distribution center though and you can get the store to order them for you or may be able to order them online. Based on your budget, I would try to get the best fit you can in a stock shirt.

RE: custom shirts, any reputable place that does them in house is going to charge way more than $100 per shirt. Most stores and tailors will just measure you and send out the measurements. Big made to measure programs that a lot of independent, upscale mens stores use like Individualized Shirts are still going to be more than you want to spend...you'll have to go to a store to get a quote. It's also going to take a bit longer than you want. Most of the online custom shirt places that show up on google search results are just fronts to outsource work to shops in India or China. Results are very hit or miss and be prepared to wait a while for the first shirt to show up. If you want to see a whole bunch of poorly fitting custom shirts on slim guys, head over to styleforum and look at some pictures.

Re: alterations tailors, prices are all over the map, as is the quality of service. Try to go to a real tailor, not a dry cleaner or something that offers "tailoring" services.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Had a really good experience with them: http://www.zeglio.com/
I got a suit, but they also do t-shirts. I think it is around $120 for t-shirts.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:47 pm

I really hope the OP, a summer 2011 SA, has managed to find some shirts by now

Return to “Legal Employment”