Where do contract / temp attorneys come from?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theturkeyisfat

Re: Where do contract / temp attorneys come from?

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm

i love how "leftistboy" and "Kunfor" both vouch for this guy with their first post.

interesting...

Kunfor

Postby Kunfor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:42 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:i love how "leftistboy" and "Kunfor" both vouch for this guy with their first post.

interesting...

If you're implying that I'm an existing member who created an account just to pose as a third person, you're dead wrong. Many people read these posts on here without replying, but sometimes you just can't resist the urge to rub some smug, elitist associate's face in reality.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Kunfor wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:i love how "leftistboy" and "Kunfor" both vouch for this guy with their first post.

interesting...

If you're implying that I'm an existing member who created an account just to pose as a third person, you're dead wrong. Many people read these posts on here without replying, but sometimes you just can't resist the urge to rub some smug, elitist associate's face in reality.

QFJDU

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Kunfor wrote:

interesting...

I'm confused... You get off on telling an associate how much better his life is than yours?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:48 pm

You get a lot of doom and gloom posters like areyouinsane, but let's face the facts with law school placement and this economy. Currently unemployment across the board close to 10%, factor in underemployment (~18%), and people who have become disheartened and stopped looking for work (~7%) and you're looking at near to a third of the U.S. population not gainfully employed.

This isn't solely a legal field issue.

I have friends that have Masters in Electrical engineering from top ten schools that are struggling to find work and those that do, get picked up at $55k. From my undergrad school (Top 30 public school), for my graduating class of 2009, 45% of the class was unemployed 9 months after graduation and the average salary was $35k with only ~25% reporting salaries. When you look at a school like Rutgers-Newark where unemployment is 7.8% 9 months out of school, even factoring in a 6.2% part-time employment rate; it's a much better picture than most of the entire U.S.

It sucks out there for everyone. Welcome to the club. I'm assuming for a good number of people on this forum, going to law school is a much better idea than sitting on their laurels making jackshit with a useless liberal arts degree. Especially if they thoroughly enjoy the legal profession.

NoTar

Postby NoTar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Is areyouinsane the same person who wrote this gem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =306244902

If not, they both should team up and become the Woodward and Bernstein of law schools.

Kunfor

Postby Kunfor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Kunfor wrote:

interesting...

I'm confused... You get off on telling an associate how much better his life is than yours?

Nice try. It is informing you that spending your day on message boards will likely land you as a temp attorney, which answers the question "Where do contract / temp attorneys come from?" If you think it's a joke, then ask yourself why you don't share your activities on here during business hours with your colleagues or with senior associates and partners? In the end it becomes apparent who the dead weight is, and that's where the first cuts are made. So keep snickering.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Kunfor wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Kunfor wrote:

interesting...

Nice try. It is informing you that spending your day on message boards will likely land you as a temp attorney, which answers the question "Where do contract / temp attorneys come from?" If you think it's a joke, then ask yourself why you don't share your activities on here during business hours with your colleagues or with senior associates and partners? In the end it becomes apparent who the dead weight is, and that's where the first cuts are made. So keep snickering.

Wait, you have determined that there is a causal relationship between TLS usage and no offers?

Kunfor

Postby Kunfor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm

"Wait, you have determined that there is a causal relationship between TLS usage and no offers?"

Where "TLS usage" means surfing the net and otherwise goofing off while billing time to clients, and "causal relationship" means getting caught, the answer is yes.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Kunfor wrote:"Wait, you have determined that there is a causal relationship between TLS usage and no offers?"

Where "TLS usage" means surfing the net and otherwise goofing off while billing time to clients, and "causal relationship" means getting caught, the answer is yes.

how many billed hours do you need to get a CB from OCI?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:59 pm

fatduck wrote:
Kunfor wrote:"Wait, you have determined that there is a causal relationship between TLS usage and no offers?"

how many billed hours do you need to get a CB from OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:26 pm

is a temp attorney the same as a staff attorney?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:03 am

areyouinsane wrote:I will have to say that, in many cases, the doc reviewers don't do themselves any favors by usually abusing, exploiting, or otherwise f-ing up any little privileges the firms give them. For example, at Paul Weiss they have a really great cafeteria called the "Jury Room." They gave the coders $10 a day in credits to use in there- it was a little card that they punched each time you used it. The prices in there were cheap- they have a grill section and you can get a small delmonico steak with 'fixins for about $7 (this was in 2005). I ate the steak every day and it was always very tasty and often downright delicious. I eat my steaks Pittsburgh rare, and the grill guy got to know me and called me "p-burg" and always made my steak just the way I liked it. We used to roll up there as a gang and play "Price is Right." In this game you have to get as close as possible to the $10 food limit w/out going over (cause you have to pay out o pocket if you exceed the $10 food card limit). Some things like salad are sold by weight, so the game can get dicey if you start loading up with croutons and such.

The sodas, coffee etc are all free in this cafeteria. You can just grab a cup and have as much as you want. You can see where this is going. This one really dirty guy we called "ShitFingers" (because he never washed his hands after taking a dump- there were like 10 witnesses to this fact) goes up there to get a soda, but he's pressing on the little bar that makes the soda come out with a glass he'd already used and had like slobbered all over. So this old lady next to him says "did you already use that glass- if you did that's gross, you're getting your spit on the soda fountain." It was kinda gross, the glass had like mayo and shit smeared all over it.

So ShitFingers gets into this huge argument with her and they have it out there at the soda fountain (most of these coders have bad tempers and get offended at the drop of a hat). Turns out she was a partner- oops. So the next day the agency guy comes into the basement and says we can't use the cafeteria anymore. The agency said we would get a non-taxable $10 added to our checks so we could get food from outside. Goodbye delmonico steak- hello street meat. The only good thing about this is that we got to meet Rachel Ray- there is a really good Halal food cart at 56th st and one day her and her film crew rolled up and offered to buy everyone in line lunch who let her cut in front of them. In real life she is literally like 4 feet tall. She was also smoking a cigarette.

The other problem with getting banned from the cafeteria was that everyone was now eating at their workstation. We were in the basement under the Rock Center, down in the bowels of the building with the furnaces and HVAC equipement, etc. With all the food garbage from like 200 coders eating down there, the place got infested with cockroaches. They were even crawling inside the computers and such. So Paul Weiss had the place roach-bombed and the day after the dead roaches were everywhere- on the keyboards, in the printers, all over the floor. Pretty gross. Even ShitFingers thought it was a little too dirty, even for him.

I forgot to mention that we weren't allowed upstairs period after ShitFingers pissed off the partner with his soda fountain debacle. So we couldn't use the Paul Weiss bathrooms- we had to use the public bathroom in the Rock Center. It only had one stall and a homeless dude named "Bones" pretty much lived in there and would holler "i'm in here motherfucker" every time you went to take a leak. So everyone started using the Heartland Breweries bathroom, which was pretty dirty too.

Anyway, that was a JD project- you didn't have to be admitted to work the gig. Because of that we only got $21 an hour. Most everyone there was waiting to get admitted to NY, because the minute you did you could jump to a SullCrom gig which paid $32 an hour plus OT. I got admitted right after the roach bomb, and was at SullCrom the day after getting NY Bar admission up in albany. After Paul Weiss, the SullCrom cellar was like a 5 star hotel. At Sullivan the coders have their own bathroom, break rooms, and even a little kitchen to use. That makes a lot of sense. It's kind of like "steerage" on those old ships- hell, would you want a dirty old TTT colder coming upstairs to use the firm's associate-level facilities? Of course not. Sullivan thus gives their coders their own little basement "world" which they never have to leave.

It was really funny one day about 3 years ago when I was starting a gig at SullCrom. My project was starting the same day that the SA class was starting, and they had this big reception table set up in the lobby with 'Welcome Class of '08" or whatever. I went up to the table and told them I was there for the doc review gig- they actually told me to wait outside and they'd come get us when the SA's had cleared the lobby! God forbid a TTT grad contaminate their little party!

Later in the day they took all the SA's to the basement (i think they were getting a grand tour of the firm) and the associate was telling them "these are all just temps." The SA's looked at us like we were animals in a zoo or something, it was degrading in kind of a funny way though. In doc review you work at whatever spare broom closet, furnace room, or other hovel they stick you in (manhattan office space is pricey and why waste good $$$ on space for TTT loser temps?) On big projects you literally sit elbow-to-elbow with each other, for up to 16 hours a day. You also have to use the beat-up old furniture from the 1970s that really belongs in a dumpster. Its very much like prison, with everyone so cramped into small spaces and tensions all flaring up. Chairs are a big, big deal- sometimes a wiseass newbie will try and switch his chair with a "veteran's" chair if he gets their early that day or something. Big mistake. You see, since the furniture is all pretty much garbage, there's a real pecking order as to who gets the "best of the worst" when it comes to chair allocation. Most of the time the backrest or the swivel (or both) are broken, so if you end up with a decent chair you hang on to it for dear life. If the staff attorney or supervisor moves your seat for talking too much or causing problems, you have the right to take that chair with you to your new workstation- it's part of the "unwritten code" of the temps. I have literally seen fistfights start over people trying to nab chairs that didn't belong to them.

Another problem are those "one serve coffee" machines that are often in the break room. You know those "Green Mountain" machines with the little one-serve pods? Being dirt poor, the coders are prone to "hoarding," and the popular flavors like hazelnut will often vanish the second the case/box is opened. That's because some coders will take like 50 of them and hide them near their workstation, usually in a file cabinet or under document boxes, etc. So usually all that's left for coffee is like Dark French Roast Decaf and other crap flavors. Another big thing is the take-out menu folder. There are certain Chinese restaurants that rarely give out menus, so people are very fussy about keeping the "rare" menus in the folder. It is very bad form to take that menu from the folder to your desk, because if you lose it it's the only one we had. Also do not write on the menu, ever, unless it's something funny.

If PW cut back on those SA lunches maybe they could afford better digs for the coders.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:41 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:At what school rank are you pretty much guaranteed nothing but contract/temp work? areyouinsane is saying TTT but on TLS, TTT could be anything from GULC to Cooley. Just want to see if we're talking Cooley range or also 50-100 rank.

I was reading some apartment reviews this morning and there was this guy that had posted his resume with a review. It was something along the lines of (in reverse chronological order):

Lehigh University - Early 1990s
Pitt Law - Mid 1990s
Small firm - 3 years
3-4 month doc review projects - 10 years
Seasonal UPS driver

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 am

rayiner wrote:
TNFSkier16 wrote:At what school rank are you pretty much guaranteed nothing but contract/temp work? areyouinsane is saying TTT but on TLS, TTT could be anything from GULC to Cooley. Just want to see if we're talking Cooley range or also 50-100 rank.

I was reading some apartment reviews this morning and there was this guy that had posted his resume with a review. It was something along the lines of (in reverse chronological order):

Lehigh University - Early 1990s
Pitt Law - Mid 1990s
Small firm - 3 years
3-4 month doc review projects - 10 years
Seasonal UPS driver

Wow. Next time my UPS guy gives me legal advice, I won't just :roll:

Commonwealthman

Postby Commonwealthman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:42 am

PI stuff is obvious flame.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:48 am

Paraflam wrote:
shoeshine wrote:The fact that I am the only one that realizes this is thesealocust is ridiculous. Troll on thesealocust. Troll on.

What makes you think this? The level of knowledge and detail in his posts makes it obvious that he's not a law student or 0L, he's clearly had a lot of experience with how stuff works. If this is flame then it's the most researched, time consuming, thought out, perfectly executed goddamn flame I've ever seen.

If the bolded don't describe thesealocust to you then you haven't been on TLS very long.

I am not in anyway refuting the facts posted by this alt. I am just simply stating that I think it is thesealocust. I agree the job market is shitty and temps get treated like shit but this poster is not a temp.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:05 am

Commonwealthman wrote:PI stuff is obvious flame.

Who cares?

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:45 am

shoeshine wrote:If the bolded don't describe thesealocust to you then you haven't been on TLS very long.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
--ImageRemoved--
HTH

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 am

Paraflam, I like the cut of your jib.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:27 am

Paraflam wrote:
shoeshine wrote:If the bolded don't describe thesealocust to you then you haven't been on TLS very long.

--ImageRemoved--
HTH

liggidy lawl

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:44 am

Paraflam wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
HTH

This (indignant and elaborate) response made me laugh.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 pm

The funny part is I have no recollection of making that picture and posting it... came home blacked out last night, must've decided to check TLS and go out of my way to construct that timeline. Not bad either.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Paraflam wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
HTH

lol'd, esp at "hth"

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Paraflam wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
HTH

All I will say is that this is not my first screen name. It takes an ALT to recognize an ALT.

Return to “Legal Employment”