CLS 3.2-3.3 Potential Bid List Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timbs4339

Gold

Re: CLS 3.2-3.3 Potential Bid List

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About a B+ average at CLS here. Looking for a few DC firms to throw bids at. Was thinking maybe WilmerHale and Paul Hastings...does anyone have any suggestions? Don't waste a single bid on DC would be a valid suggestion.
Don't waste a single bid on DC.

Less snarky explanation: there should be a good number of DC firms available on add/drop. Add them then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

This thread has been helpful to me as well. Thanks.

Anyone on here have some or all of the Honors figures and can PM me some help? I got a couple of the figures through appointment with OCS but am out-of-state and would be helpful to have more as I figure out how to order my list.

boron1234

New

Post by boron1234 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread has been helpful to me as well. Thanks.

Anyone on here have some or all of the Honors figures and can PM me some help? I got a couple of the figures through appointment with OCS but am out-of-state and would be helpful to have more as I figure out how to order my list.
Could I have this as well? Thank you!

tecumseh

New

Post by tecumseh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:11 pm

PM me your email and I will send you the list

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:31 am

Okay so I feel silly asking this but....in order to bid on a firm, you have to push the 'apply' button on symplicity, so do I need to upload a cover letter in addition to my resume?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Tagging this for the inevitable once all my grades are in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 pm

NVM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:07 pm

bumping this. haven't received all grades yet but looking to be somewhere between 3.3 and 3.4 (a lot depends on this final grade). the bidlist i'm considering looks very much like OP's. any suggestions? also should I completely write off PW and not even bid on it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Detective TAGgert

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Detective TAGgert
huh? i'm trying to get advice here...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
haha, I'm interested in this thread as I'm in a similar situation. I was just tagging it while making a subtle reference to Beverly Hills Cop. Good luck to you and remember to remove Dewey from OP's list :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
haha, I'm interested in this thread as I'm in a similar situation. I was just tagging it while making a subtle reference to Beverly Hills Cop. Good luck to you and remember to remove Dewey from OP's list :lol:
ahaha sorry never saw it. also it's been a long day so probably would have missed the reference had i known what it meant. :oops: good luck to you too!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Just curious OP did you end up working at one of the firms on your bidlist?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About a B+ average at CLS here. Looking for a few DC firms to throw bids at. Was thinking maybe WilmerHale and Paul Hastings...does anyone have any suggestions? Don't waste a single bid on DC would be a valid suggestion.
sorry bro but Wilmer DC is pretty much impossible unless you are Kent/Law Review.....its one of the toughest DC firms to get for most law review folks

you need serious DC connections to even stand a chance with just a B+

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sorry bro but Wilmer DC is pretty much impossible unless you are Kent/Law Review.....its one of the toughest DC firms to get for most law review folks

LOL no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 pm

NYU recent grad here. Had <B+. Had some lower DC firm offers from OCI. Think Fried Frank, etc. So if you really just want DC, it could work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey there folks. ~ 3.25 at CLS. W/E is somewhere between average and good. Assume good interview skills. My interests are the following, roughly in this order

1. a job
2. NY
3. lit (but open)
4. QOL > prestige (I know at this level, QOL will be relatively low, but I'm interested in even the small differences)

The order is based on a number of factors including class size, bid/interview ratio, callback/offer ratio, day on which the firm is coming to EIP, and % of offers that go to Honors.

Please tell me what to change. I'm open to all suggestions.

Proskauer Rose
Sidley Austin
White and Case
Paul Hastings
Kirkland and Ellis
Kaye Scholer
Seward and Kissel
Mayer Brown
Akin Gump
Weil Gotshal
Wilkie Farr
Alston Bird
Jones Day
Cadwalader
Latham and Watkins
Schulte Roth
Skadden Arps
Hughes Hubbard
Fried Franks
Cahill Gordon
Dechert
Morgan Lewis
Curtis Mallet
Sheppard Mullin
K&L Gates
Paul Weiss
Davis Polk
Clearly Gottlieb
Holland and Knight
King Spalding

Thanks everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:21 pm

^ this looks a lot like my potential bid list except that I have Milbank instead of Akin Gump and Ropes instead of Skadden. ~3.3+ GPA at CLS and prefer NY firms and lit. Would also welcome any advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 am

to above- cleary seems super grade sensitive so maybe replace them with a less grade sensitive office?

and any advice on median bidding to ca?
Last edited by 094320 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixing something technical. la la.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:to above- cleary seems super grade sensitive so maybe replace them with a less grade sensitive office?

and any advice on median bidding to ca?
agreed on cleary. only added them, because I was running out of ideas and their class is so big

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:19 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL no.

Hey I'm on Law Review at CLS and I can't tell you how many LR folks with good grades who struck of the top DC firms the last couple of years. And by top DC firms I'm only talking about W&C, Covington, and Wilmer.

Here's a little trivia to chew on. CLS only sent one person to Wilmer DC last year and he's going to be clerking for Kozinski this year. In 2010, CLS only had one person at Wilmer DC once again and he's clerking for Kavanaugh this year and will be clerking for Scalia next year.

Unless you have serious DC/fed gov connections, you need to be close to Kent and on Law Review to get the tippy top DC firms (i.e W&C, Wilmer, & Covington). The only way to get W&C/Covington/Wilmer without being Kent/LR is to have worked on the Hill for many years for example and have serious reasons for wanting to be in DC.

Just having good grades (i.e. Stone/LR) is NOT enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious OP did you end up working at one of the firms on your bidlist?
OP here. I did end up working at one of these firms, sitting at my desk right now in fact. Got offers from five of the firms on the list.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious OP did you end up working at one of the firms on your bidlist?
OP here. I did end up working at one of these firms, sitting at my desk right now in fact. Got offers from five of the firms on the list.
Pm me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That's awesome. Any tips for someone in this position, based on your experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL no.

Hey I'm on Law Review at CLS and I can't tell you how many LR folks with good grades who struck of the top DC firms the last couple of years. And by top DC firms I'm only talking about W&C, Covington, and Wilmer. Top 10-15% grades + strong DC ties should give you a shot.

Here's a little trivia to chew on. CLS only sent one person to Wilmer DC last year and he's going to be clerking for Kozinski this year. In 2010, CLS only had one person at Wilmer DC once again and he's clerking for Kavanaugh this year and will be clerking for Scalia next year.

Unless you have serious DC/fed gov connections, you need to be close to Kent and on Law Review to get the tippy top DC firms (i.e W&C, Wilmer, & Covington). The only way to get W&C/Covington/Wilmer without being Kent/LR is to have worked on the Hill for many years for example and have serious reasons for wanting to be in DC.

Just having good grades (i.e. Stone/LR) is NOT enough.
You're overstating your case. Connections might be important, but at least for Wilmer I don't think either feeder-clerkship grades nor law review are necessary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”