3L with IP background looking for a job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L with IP background looking for a job

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:13 pm

my tech background is supposly in demand, but here I am seeking advice. yes, my law school grade sucked.

please go easy on the flaming.

Morgan12Oak

Re: 3L with IP background looking for a job

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm

???? where'd you go to school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:???? where'd you go to school

mid-west top 50ish

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Not an expert on IP, but my advice is mass-mail the hell out of any secondary market near your school or you have ties to, especially ones that have IP departments in your area.

Mass-mail before any sort of 3L or 2L OGI recruiting begins, because by then you're going to get lost in the stacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Not an expert on IP, but my advice is mass-mail the hell out of any secondary market near your school or you have ties to, especially ones that have IP departments in your area.

Mass-mail before any sort of 3L or 2L OGI recruiting begins, because by then you're going to get lost in the stacks.

I am thinking between July 1 ~~ Agust 1? or even earlier?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

I'll be a 2L undergoing OCI in mid-August. I was told to mass-mail firms that aren't coming to OCI around mid-July.

I would probably aim for closer to July 1st. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any downside to doing it July 1st and getting a head start. I guess there's the off-chance that firms haven't begun addressing their needs yet so it might be too early, but I think that's unlikely.

Spend a LOT of time the next few weeks on preparing the materials. You're going to need (1) targeted cover letters and (2) a massive number of firms you are mass mailing. Don't slack on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:I'll be a 2L undergoing OCI in mid-August. I was told to mass-mail firms that aren't coming to OCI around mid-July.

I would probably aim for closer to July 1st. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any downside to doing it July 1st and getting a head start. I guess there's the off-chance that firms haven't begun addressing their needs yet so it might be too early, but I think that's unlikely.

Spend a LOT of time the next few weeks on preparing the materials. You're going to need (1) targeted cover letters and (2) a massive number of firms you are mass mailing. Don't slack on it.

my cover letter is "targeted" to IP in general, but I guess you are saying target it to specific firms on top of that correct?

Return to “Legal Employment”