UVa OGI 2011 thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm probably wrong about that then. For some reason I thought PS drags their feet a bit more with the recruiting timeline compared to OGI.

memaha
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby memaha » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:36 pm

itsirtou wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:To be fair, I know a few people who are not doing OGI (some with high grades too).

Keep in mind, I think you'd also have to make a decision about accepting a firm from OGI probably before most Public Service jobs will be able to tell you (correct me if I'm wrong).

So if you want PS more than big law, then you're gonna face the same decision come October.


Huh -- I'm actually not sure whether the decisions from firms will come before the decisions from PS jobs, but I have a suspicion you're correct about that for a lot of them, with the exception (maybe) of government jobs. I might talk to Yared about that in the next few days.


Better do it soon before he leaves...

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

memaha wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:To be fair, I know a few people who are not doing OGI (some with high grades too).

Keep in mind, I think you'd also have to make a decision about accepting a firm from OGI probably before most Public Service jobs will be able to tell you (correct me if I'm wrong).

So if you want PS more than big law, then you're gonna face the same decision come October.


Huh -- I'm actually not sure whether the decisions from firms will come before the decisions from PS jobs, but I have a suspicion you're correct about that for a lot of them, with the exception (maybe) of government jobs. I might talk to Yared about that in the next few days.


Better do it soon before he leaves...


Wait. What? Like...for good?

:shock:

grash
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby grash » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:45 pm

itsirtou wrote:
memaha wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:To be fair, I know a few people who are not doing OGI (some with high grades too).

Keep in mind, I think you'd also have to make a decision about accepting a firm from OGI probably before most Public Service jobs will be able to tell you (correct me if I'm wrong).

So if you want PS more than big law, then you're gonna face the same decision come October.


Huh -- I'm actually not sure whether the decisions from firms will come before the decisions from PS jobs, but I have a suspicion you're correct about that for a lot of them, with the exception (maybe) of government jobs. I might talk to Yared about that in the next few days.


Better do it soon before he leaves...


Wait. What? Like...for good?

:shock:


You've got until the end of June, I believe. I think he's doing some sort of international cases out in the Hague.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:51 pm

grash wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
memaha wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
Huh -- I'm actually not sure whether the decisions from firms will come before the decisions from PS jobs, but I have a suspicion you're correct about that for a lot of them, with the exception (maybe) of government jobs. I might talk to Yared about that in the next few days.


Better do it soon before he leaves...


Wait. What? Like...for good?

:shock:


You've got until the end of June, I believe. I think he's doing some sort of international cases out in the Hague.


haha he would be. thanks for the heads-up!

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby wackjickham » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 pm

tag

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:33 pm

wackjickham wrote:tag


woke up this morning with a strong feeling that you would tag this thread. theres another thread i see you tagging, want to see if it happens before telling you which one.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 pm

wackjickham wrote:tag


+1

I'll go out on a limb here and say I've met you IRL too, based on your forum handle.

Do people have all their grades yet? I am still waiting on one. Then I plan for this to be an anonymous posting mess. When we post anonymously, we should place at the very end of our posts a tag like "anon-1" so that when everyone is doling out advice we can keep track of who is who. We could also just create alts. We could also just let it all hang out, but I know some people on this forum definitely know who I am.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby wackjickham » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
wackjickham wrote:tag


+1

I'll go out on a limb here and say I've met you IRL too, based on your forum handle.

Do people have all their grades yet? I am still waiting on one. Then I plan for this to be an anonymous posting mess. When we post anonymously, we should place at the very end of our posts a tag like "anon-1" so that when everyone is doling out advice we can keep track of who is who. We could also just create alts. We could also just let it all hang out, but I know some people on this forum definitely know who I am.


My TLS name might as well be my SSN. I'll be using Anon a lot.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:46 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
wackjickham wrote:tag


+1

I'll go out on a limb here and say I've met you IRL too, based on your forum handle.

Do people have all their grades yet? I am still waiting on one. Then I plan for this to be an anonymous posting mess. When we post anonymously, we should place at the very end of our posts a tag like "anon-1" so that when everyone is doling out advice we can keep track of who is who. We could also just create alts. We could also just let it all hang out, but I know some people on this forum definitely know who I am.


Still waiting on two, I think. (one of them i am 100% sure won't come in til friday, haha)

also I don't think anyone here knows who I am, but that's a good idea anyway, just in case. (haha I definitely know at least two people who've posted here based on their usernames.)

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:13 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
wackjickham wrote:tag


+1

I'll go out on a limb here and say I've met you IRL too, based on your forum handle.

Do people have all their grades yet? I am still waiting on one. Then I plan for this to be an anonymous posting mess. When we post anonymously, we should place at the very end of our posts a tag like "anon-1" so that when everyone is doling out advice we can keep track of who is who. We could also just create alts. We could also just let it all hang out, but I know some people on this forum definitely know who I am.


Jaws and I have all of our grades, as do a few other people I know. As far as the anon goes, lets just create a googledoc with everyone's corresponding anon #, forum handle, SSN, and home address.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:33 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
wackjickham wrote:tag


+1

I'll go out on a limb here and say I've met you IRL too, based on your forum handle.

Do people have all their grades yet? I am still waiting on one. Then I plan for this to be an anonymous posting mess. When we post anonymously, we should place at the very end of our posts a tag like "anon-1" so that when everyone is doling out advice we can keep track of who is who. We could also just create alts. We could also just let it all hang out, but I know some people on this forum definitely know who I am.


Still waiting on one as well.

Please just tag your posts with anon1 or something like that (dibs on UVAstudmagic19). If we all alt in here, everyone else will want to do it, and it just becomes a hassle for the mods to keep track of.

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:37 pm

dailygrind wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
wackjickham wrote:tag


+1

I'll go out on a limb here and say I've met you IRL too, based on your forum handle.

Do people have all their grades yet? I am still waiting on one. Then I plan for this to be an anonymous posting mess. When we post anonymously, we should place at the very end of our posts a tag like "anon-1" so that when everyone is doling out advice we can keep track of who is who. We could also just create alts. We could also just let it all hang out, but I know some people on this forum definitely know who I am.


Still waiting on one as well.

Please just tag your posts with anon1 or something like that (dibs on UVAstudmagic19). If we all alt in here, everyone else will want to do it, and it just becomes a hassle for the mods to keep track of.



so, you're against the googledoc idea?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Who said that? We should also probably list square footage in the home address column. Whoever has the biggest place gets to throw a party when OGI begins. Ideally, we invite all the recruiters down and get them drunk enough to like us.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:03 pm

claiming largest square footage already, debate over

User avatar
swinger
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:06 pm

dgouzoul wrote:claiming largest square footage already, debate over


claiming exact same square footage, plus basement on my side of house for easier access from front door. /debate

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:10 pm

I take it we all got the paternalistic "I don't trust you to crunch your own numbers" email?


My anonymous rant at the CSO:

1) Thanks for making me feel competent. If I was going to make a mistake, you could have corrected it when I came in for counseling rather than preventing me from even being able to make a mistake.
2) Are you holding back because you think I'm going to spread the info? Thanks for trusting me to live up to the honor code.
3) Thanks for living up to the honor code yourselves - I'm pretty sure you told us you would give us this document.
4) I have a lot of cursing I'd like to interject in here, but I will bear in mind that I still attend the school and I don't want to drag down the attitude of the thread. But seriously, this left me with a really bad taste in my mouth, and is going to affect the enthusiasm with which I sell the school/donate in the future.

Okay. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, what's the ideal strategy from here on out? We go in, ask them to construct a bidlist for us, and then fiddle with it based on how we like the firms? This is a terribly uninvolved job hunt, and leaves me extremely worried.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:36 pm

What is the "I don't trust you to crunch your own numbers" email? (I'm a 3L).

Anyway, when you speak with career services, they'll show you a chart of firms that are good targets for your GPA. Even if you come in with a 3.0, they'll be able to tell you what firms have taken people with your grades. You should take advantage of this, but it's not the only thing available. Post an anonymous thread on TLS with your grades and the markets (and maybe firms) you're targetting, and you're likely to get good advice.

IMO, career services is useful for the data they provide you, but depending on who you see, you may not get much help elsewhere. Hopson is totally worthless, and the others won't give you some of the basic advice you'll get here. For instance, if you're thinking of ignoring New York and focusing entirely on secondary markets (or worse, DC), career services won't tell you that you're an idiot, but we will (unless you have actual reasons for avoiding New York, such as a family).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the "I don't trust you to crunch your own numbers" email? (I'm a 3L).

Anyway, when you speak with career services, they'll show you a chart of firms that are good targets for your GPA. Even if you come in with a 3.0, they'll be able to tell you what firms have taken people with your grades. You should take advantage of this, but it's not the only thing available. Post an anonymous thread on TLS with your grades and the markets (and maybe firms) you're targetting, and you're likely to get good advice.

IMO, career services is useful for the data they provide you, but depending on who you see, you may not get much help elsewhere. Hopson is totally worthless, and the others won't give you some of the basic advice you'll get here. For instance, if you're thinking of ignoring New York and focusing entirely on secondary markets (or worse, DC), career services won't tell you that you're an idiot, but we will (unless you have actual reasons for avoiding New York, such as a family).


Earlier in the year they sent us an email telling us they'd give us a document with historical grade ranges for the major cities. They reneged, and told us we have to do all of it in person now; supposedly because we historically crunch data poorly. I guess if they give us all of the relevant data and analysis it's not a big deal, but I am a bit skeptical, and don't like putting so much of the search in someone else's hands.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the "I don't trust you to crunch your own numbers" email? (I'm a 3L).

Anyway, when you speak with career services, they'll show you a chart of firms that are good targets for your GPA. Even if you come in with a 3.0, they'll be able to tell you what firms have taken people with your grades. You should take advantage of this, but it's not the only thing available. Post an anonymous thread on TLS with your grades and the markets (and maybe firms) you're targetting, and you're likely to get good advice.

IMO, career services is useful for the data they provide you, but depending on who you see, you may not get much help elsewhere. Hopson is totally worthless, and the others won't give you some of the basic advice you'll get here. For instance, if you're thinking of ignoring New York and focusing entirely on secondary markets (or worse, DC), career services won't tell you that you're an idiot, but we will (unless you have actual reasons for avoiding New York, such as a family).


Earlier in the year they sent us an email telling us they'd give us a document with historical grade ranges for the major cities. They reneged, and told us we have to do all of it in person now; supposedly because we historically crunch data poorly. I guess if they give us all of the relevant data and analysis it's not a big deal, but I am a bit skeptical, and don't like putting so much of the search in someone else's hands.



On the other hand, the firm document they sent out is very helpful.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Yeah, the grade ranges document was scuttled. I guess they didn't want to use data from 06-08 OGI and make us think we'd all get jobs, pay back our debt, lead happy lives, etc. Looks like we will have to hope these individualized sessions work out for us. I for one was looking forward to the grade range document. Hopefully we can figure it out from here though?

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 pm

NY definitely doesn't look as easy as it is hyped. Seems like DC and NY as a "Back up" is a recipe for the strike out. I'm definitely looking into secondary.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:NY definitely doesn't look as easy as it is hyped. Seems like DC and NY as a "Back up" is a recipe for the strike out. I'm definitely looking into secondary.


I don't think DC was ever considered a backup, at least not in recent years....

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Sorry, I meant primary DC and NY as a backup to DC.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:15 pm

I think I have an excel document with the GPA ranges for screening interviews from '06-'07. Not sure how helpful it is given that it's from the days when "anyone with a pulse" could get a job. PM me if you want it--I may be slow to respond though, since it's not on the computer I'm currently on.

Morgan12Oak wrote:Sorry, I meant primary DC and NY as a backup to DC.

Primary DC is always risky, but NY is about as safe as you can get. Secondary markets are great targets for mailing pre-OGI (you should definitely do this to places where you have ties), but bids are probably better spent on NY; you should generally only spend a handful on a secondary market unless it's your primary target.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.