UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
barry

Bronze

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by barry » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Morgan Lewis NYC ding by email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Last day of OGI today, right? In some ways I'm so happy to be done with stage 1. In others, I don't want it to end because gotdamn do I want more callbacks. Ah well.
How many do you have?
3, one of which I already went on. Primarily NYC, top 20% of the class. I am apparently a fucking awful interviewee/and/or human being. I think I've figured out the moves to the dance, and I've been doing much better on my latest interviewers, but it took me way too long to get rolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Last day of OGI today, right? In some ways I'm so happy to be done with stage 1. In others, I don't want it to end because gotdamn do I want more callbacks. Ah well.
How many do you have?
3, one of which I already went on. Primarily NYC, top 20% of the class. I am apparently a fucking awful interviewee/and/or human being. I think I've figured out the moves to the dance, and I've been doing much better on my latest interviewers, but it took me way too long to get rolling.
all you need is one callback! Smile, be preppy/happy, and you'll but it through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Weil NYC CB's? I lottery'd in---so I'm a long shot, but a boy can dream (and pray no CB's have gone out yet).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How many do you have?
Jesus. I'm top 1/4, primarily NYC and have 14 CBs and an offer already. WTF do u think is wrong with your style?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How many do you have?
Jesus. I'm top 1/4, primarily NYC and have 14 CBs and an offer already. WTF do u think is wrong with your style?
I can't imagine that 14 CBs, even for top 1/4 and primarily NYC, is even close to the norm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How many do you have?
I can't imagine that 14 CBs, even for top 1/4 and primarily NYC, is even close to the norm.
Primarily DC, some NY. Top 1/3. 12 CBs... its not the norm, but it just shows that while grades and resume can work to get your foot in the door, they will generally not get you CBs unless you can sell yourself as a person. Get the interviewer to like you and to want to work with you- that is hard to do if you spend the 20 minute screener uptight and giving stock answers and asking boring stock questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Primarily DC, some NY. Top 1/3. 12 CBs... its not the norm, but it just shows that while grades and resume can work to get your foot in the door, they will generally not get you CBs unless you can sell yourself as a person. Get the interviewer to like you and to want to work with you- that is hard to do if you spend the 20 minute screener uptight and giving stock answers and asking boring stock questions.
I am top 1/3 with secondary markets and have nowhere near that many CBs ... Do alot of people around top 1/3 have that many CBs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Primarily DC, some NY. Top 1/3. 12 CBs... its not the norm, but it just shows that while grades and resume can work to get your foot in the door, they will generally not get you CBs unless you can sell yourself as a person. Get the interviewer to like you and to want to work with you- that is hard to do if you spend the 20 minute screener uptight and giving stock answers and asking boring stock questions.
I am top 1/3 with secondary markets and have nowhere near that many CBs ... Do alot of people around top 1/3 have that many CBs?

3.3x w/ 10 CBs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:34 pm

/self-fellatiating?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:43 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:/self-fellatiating?

Or maybe just letting people know where they stand. If you have 3 callbacks and a 3.5, you need to know you are fucking something up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Or maybe just letting people know where they stand. If you have 3 callbacks and a 3.5, you need to know you are fucking something up.
Which is incredibly helpful at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which is incredibly helpful at this point.
Your right, just keep letting people with great grades and less than 5 callbacks go into those callbacks and do the same things. Since callbacks are essentially screeners x5 its something that they might want to know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:16 pm

The last one was the only one that didn't sound like it was written by Dr. Phil.

If you are top third and have very few cb's though, I'd imagine you don't need teh interwebz to tell you you're fucking something up, but someone did ask. So I suppose they were justifiable comments. I was mostly just looking for an excuse to use the verb fellatiate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:19 pm

McGuire Woods ding via snail mail. Still no CBs. Want to scream.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:McGuire Woods ding via snail mail. Still no CBs. Want to scream.
Damn sorry to hear that. What office and who was your interviewer?

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 pm

any Dewey NY cb's yet?
Anonymous User wrote:McGuire Woods ding via snail mail. Still no CBs. Want to scream.
I have no cb's from OGI either man, any thoughts on back up plans?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How many do you have?
I'm not really a social person, and I don't do a good job of selling myself or why I would be a good fit for the firm. I'm doing a better job of it lately, but it's not a skill I'm well versed in. I mean, I know I'm fucking up, I know very, very, very well that I am fucking up. I'm just having a hard time fixing it on the fly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Did you do mock interviews with OCS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you do mock interviews with OCS?
I did one. It did nothing but tell me what I already know: I can talk about substantive points of my projects/the law extremely well, but I'm otherwise a little lacking in interpersonal skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I did one. It did nothing but tell me what I already know: I can talk about substantive points of my projects/the law extremely well, but I'm otherwise a little lacking in interpersonal skills.
So are there lots of awkward silences in your interviews or what?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So are there lots of awkward silences in your interviews or what?
Nah. When we get there I leave (though this rarely happens). It's more like I'll ask good canned questions, but not know the correct route to go after I get a response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 pm

If we're primarily NYC and are still at zero CBs at this point, it's pretty much over for big law, right? Assuming no screeners done this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If we're primarily NYC and are still at zero CBs at this point, it's pretty much over for big law, right? Assuming no screeners done this week.
I got a CB today for a firm that interviewed the first day of OGI and gave out CBs that week. So there is still a *chance* you'll get some CBs, but I would not be too optimistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm pretty curious as to when STB NY callbacks roll in, so whenever anyone finds out, it'd be much appreciated if you could let us know. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”