UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok so then would putting 3.50 be okay? My undergrad GPA is on my resume.
Yes.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you need to have your UG GPA on your resume?
If it's good you might as well. You certainly don't need to though.
Image disagrees with you :lol:

(/extremely obscure inside joke)

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I would round to the hundredth. Especially if you list your undergrad GPA in the hundredths, listing your law school GPA in the thousandths would look awkward.

Do you need to have your UG GPA on your resume?
If it's good yes. If it looks like mine, then lord no.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 pm

vamedic03 wrote:If it's good yes. If it looks like mine, then lord no.
<--Lowest UGPA in the Class of 2013. Feelin' ya, bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:15 am

Some good firms to bid in in NY as median? CSO only told me of four firms, where median was average for a call back, but got a long list where median was at the very bottom. I guess this is not too surprising...

Also, are the California firms notoriously more competitive? Not too many of them coming, but I have family there, and would enjoy practice there as an alternative to NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Some good firms to bid in in NY as median? CSO only told me of four firms, where median was average for a call back, but got a long list where median was at the very bottom. I guess this is not too surprising...

Also, are the California firms notoriously more competitive? Not too many of them coming, but I have family there, and would enjoy practice there as an alternative to NY.

Mind listing the ones that had a median gpa as their average callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Some good firms to bid in in NY as median? CSO only told me of four firms, where median was average for a call back, but got a long list where median was at the very bottom. I guess this is not too surprising...

career services has that info

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You can use that answer to every question on this thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thx for the tip

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thx for the tip
[/quote]

This thread was made to share info about OGI, I don't understand why one cannot list those firms.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 am

Not that this is super-helpful, but do remember that hiring is supposed to be more robust this year than it was last year, so those hiring bands are likely to slip downward accordingly.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

How current is the information in the NALP database? I've found a few differences between NALP data and data I've gotten elsewhere (Chambers, vault, CSO).

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

wackjickham wrote:How current is the information in the NALP database? I've found a few differences between NALP data and data I've gotten elsewhere (Chambers, vault, CSO).
There's some discussion on it here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&start=50

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 pm

I just sent my resume stuff to a small firm and they sent me an email back saying that don't accept stuff for next semester until August 1 b/c of the NALP Deadline. Is this true?

I thought you can mail out everything earlier?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:53 pm

uvahooo wrote:I just sent my resume stuff to a small firm and they sent me an email back saying that don't accept stuff for next semester until August 1 b/c of the NALP Deadline. Is this true?

I thought you can mail out everything earlier?
Totally depends on the firm. You should do mailings in June and/or July, and if you get that response from a firm, mail them again in August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 am

How selective is Cahill?

With a 3.5 am I in the running?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Does anyone have any insight as to White & Case's "cut-offs" for DC/NY? Latham's DC/NY? Sitting at a low-mid 3.4X. Thoughts? Feelings? Waste of bids? Good bids?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to White & Case's "cut-offs" for DC/NY? Latham's DC/NY? Sitting at a low-mid 3.4X. Thoughts? Feelings? Waste of bids? Good bids?
Add Akin Gump and Ropes to that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 pm

What GPA do I need to feel confident in NyC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Do we have to use all of our bids?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we have to use all of our bids?
No, but you would be a fool not to. You can without consequence or complication decline any and all interviews offered to you well in advance of OGI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Somewhere in the OGI info packet, it said that multiple bids for different offices at 1 firm, only counted as 1 bid.

But Symplicity doesn't seem to recognize this because you only have 50 bids and it won't let you do something like Bid #23A, 23B, 23C.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Since our career services transcripts do not list our GPAs, nor liss the actual GPA equivalents of the grades, does anyone have any idea what law firms do for students that do not have their GPA listed? Do they know that an A+ is a 4.3, and an A- a 3.7 (instead of a 3.66). Do they ballpark it? Just something that came to my mind, because CSO said that the career services transcript is all they get.

Thanks.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09 pm

desertlaw wrote:Somewhere in the OGI info packet, it said that multiple bids for different offices at 1 firm, only counted as 1 bid.

But Symplicity doesn't seem to recognize this because you only have 50 bids and it won't let you do something like Bid #23A, 23B, 23C.

I didn't do it last year (and I'd recommend you not do it either, because you can only work in one office of any given firm, so I can't envision a scenario where you help yourself by asking for interviews at 2 offices of the firm) but we were told you' get an extra bid each time you did. So if you bid on GDC DC, and then GDC NYC, you'd wind up with 51 instead of 50 bids.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Somewhere in the OGI info packet, it said that multiple bids for different offices at 1 firm, only counted as 1 bid.

I didn't do it last year (and I'd recommend you not do it either, because you can only work in one office of any given firm, so I can't envision a scenario where you help yourself by asking for interviews at 2 offices of the firm) but we were told you' get an extra bid each time you did. So if you bid on GDC DC, and then GDC NYC, you'd wind up with 51 instead of 50 bids.
^this. And Skadden is the only place where it might be worthwhile - their offices make hiring decisions independently of each other.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”