UVa OGI 2011 thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm

So...uh, which is it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So...uh, which is it?


Officially, UVA does not rank. UVA does have the rank of every student available. The only people who actually use the rank are:

(1) Law review for the grade-on cut-off (and this is limited to a listing of the top 25 students), and

(2) Recommenders who need to provide it for judges. Some judges care whether someone is in the top 10 students.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:27 am

Emailed Staci to express my displeasure for her taking lines from KD's email out of context in her article. She emailed me back and said she hadn't been given the full email and actually had the nerve to ask me to forward the full email to her. Bitch please. :roll:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:50 pm

t

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 pm

I have less than 10 interviews. Given the limited amount of time remaining in the process, would it be smarter to focus more on special requesting the shit out of OGI firms or to continue the mass mailing campaign I began earlier this summer but didn't get too far on?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Cavalier » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have less than 10 interviews. Given the limited amount of time remaining in the process, would it be smarter to focus more on special requesting the shit out of OGI firms or to continue the mass mailing campaign I began earlier this summer but didn't get too far on?

You should be doing both. Special request the firms where you have a shot at getting hired and then make sure to mail firms in the market(s) you want as well as any secondary markets that you have ties to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Just added another interview due to a cancellation. It was an alternate that hadn't converted.

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby barry » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:24 pm

is anyone planning on contacting OGI firms directly as opposed to the special request system?

edit: i've seen other people from other schools talk about this, but wasn't sure if anyone at UVA did it since we have special requests

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 am

What is protocol or the unwritten rules in terms of telling people who you are interviewing with, who you have callbacks with, who you have offers from? Only your good friends? No one?

(Same question for asking people about their OGI progress --- only close friends or anyone or no one?)

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:56 am

dailygrind wrote:Fuck I hate that website sometimes. I think it's probably a good thing overall that the numbers are getting out there, I just wish that they could come from a school not ours, or that at we'd have some company.


Just dropping in to say in all fairness, UVA goes to great lengths to earn their notoriety (or the semblance thereof)

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/do-you-r ... ool-party/

Wow...

SweetnessUVA
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby SweetnessUVA » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Fuck I hate that website sometimes. I think it's probably a good thing overall that the numbers are getting out there, I just wish that they could come from a school not ours, or that at we'd have some company.


Just dropping in to say in all fairness, UVA goes to great lengths to earn their notoriety (or the semblance thereof)

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/do-you-r ... ool-party/

Wow...


Oh, that's right. You mean the party which according to Jonathan Perkins, someone who isn't exactly the most reputable person when it comes to race-issues, there was allegedly a single derogatory term said over the course over the course of a couple hour party? Or the party where there was a table in the back room and where only a couple people played beer pong and most other people just ignored it because it was stupid and no one cared?

Ok, just making sure.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19657
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby dailygrind » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:14 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Fuck I hate that website sometimes. I think it's probably a good thing overall that the numbers are getting out there, I just wish that they could come from a school not ours, or that at we'd have some company.


Just dropping in to say in all fairness, UVA goes to great lengths to earn their notoriety (or the semblance thereof)

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/do-you-r ... ool-party/

Wow...


Holy thread derail, batman. This is not the place to discuss that. We've had a lengthy discussion about it in the UVA thread, but if you want to discuss it feel free to start a thread somewhere else and see what opinions you get. FWIW, I'm actually a minority and I've felt as welcome in Charlottesville as I have anywhere else I've lived, but whatever.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19657
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby dailygrind » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is protocol or the unwritten rules in terms of telling people who you are interviewing with, who you have callbacks with, who you have offers from? Only your good friends? No one?

(Same question for asking people about their OGI progress --- only close friends or anyone or no one?)


I've been doing the reunion rounds in the last few days, and whenever it comes up people've been flighty. I guess what interviews you have serve as a proxy for your grades so it's sensitive in that regard, and the zero-sum nature of grades is replayed in interviews because any you got is one someone else might have missed out on. I'd guess it's probably close friends only, but that's largely dependent upon your comfort levels within your friendships.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 am

dailygrind wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is protocol or the unwritten rules in terms of telling people who you are interviewing with, who you have callbacks with, who you have offers from? Only your good friends? No one?

(Same question for asking people about their OGI progress --- only close friends or anyone or no one?)


I've been doing the reunion rounds in the last few days, and whenever it comes up people've been flighty. I guess what interviews you have serve as a proxy for your grades so it's sensitive in that regard, and the zero-sum nature of grades is replayed in interviews because any you got is one someone else might have missed out on. I'd guess it's probably close friends only, but that's largely dependent upon your comfort levels within your friendships.

I'ma buy a portable LED readerboard and broadcast my interviews/results so people won't feel awkward having to ask me.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby omg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

(And by that, I mean good luck TOMORROW. Thought interviews started today, haha.)

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby RVP11 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:57 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is protocol or the unwritten rules in terms of telling people who you are interviewing with, who you have callbacks with, who you have offers from? Only your good friends? No one?

(Same question for asking people about their OGI progress --- only close friends or anyone or no one?)


I've been doing the reunion rounds in the last few days, and whenever it comes up people've been flighty. I guess what interviews you have serve as a proxy for your grades so it's sensitive in that regard, and the zero-sum nature of grades is replayed in interviews because any you got is one someone else might have missed out on. I'd guess it's probably close friends only, but that's largely dependent upon your comfort levels within your friendships.


I don't understand why anyone would try to keep the # of interviews they have a secret. Firms post their interview schedules in Slaughter, so it's not exactly private information to begin with.

Callbacks/offers should generally just be shared with friends. Some people don't like to discuss it at all, and that's fine. At the "callback -> offer" stage more people are willing to open up because it's no longer a zero sum game.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 am

Bump

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump

Sorry. Not currently topical.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 am

was anyone able to find the special request schedule? checked at 10:15, nothing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:was anyone able to find the special request schedule? checked at 10:15, nothing.



Got posted around 10:45.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:was anyone able to find the special request schedule? checked at 10:15, nothing.



Got posted around 10:45.


Yeah, it was supposed to be up at 10:00 but was late. Hopefully it will be up earlier tomorrow...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Since we're in the calm before the callback storm, I'd strongly recommend people NOT use this thread (or other places online) to post where they're receiving callbacks, offers, and dings. There's an understandable desire for information, but nothing is reliable. Last year I did a callback and got an offer at a firm which called people back even after I'd finished the process. Some firms move quickly and some firms move slowly, some recruiters at the same firm will go faster than others, but everything will sort itself out in the end.

Obviously do as you see fit, and if you don't want to see it you don't have to check this thread, but I thought I'd throw that out as my two cents having gone through the process. It's just added stress nobody needs to be constantly comparing lists with one another (as is happening in many of the other schools' recruiting threads).

Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

when are callbacks given for most firms? 24 hours or 48?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when are callbacks given for most firms? 24 hours or 48?


Sometimes during the screening interview (extremely rare), the evening after the interview (rare), within 72 hours after the interview (fairly common), or at any point later (fairly common). There's no general practice, though anecdotally large New York firms seem to move the most quickly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 am

anyone hear from Schulte yet? Interviewer said they make decisions that day.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.