UVa OGI 2011 thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe all you people should have just asked career services like i did?


180

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah, maybe. But I made my decisions independently of that, and I wouldn't change anything. A lot of these anons seem to think that people are mostly upset because they didn't know and would have done something differently. I don't know much would have changed; people seem to be disgruntled because from their perspective, there's not a great reason for why they can't special request firms.

Who really would think, "shit, I better decline these preselects with Brown Rudnick, Mayer Brown, and Pillsbury so I can have the opportunity to special request Debevoise, Paul Weiss, and STB."? It's not the fact that people didn't know, it's the idea that CSO says some students can't use a completely-outside-the-bid-process if they have 20 preselects. That would be a real power move, I'd actually love to hear from somebody who did this.

Also, everyone should probably keep in mind that CSO keeps changing the system, so it's not like the system at hand has been tested and true. Last year was 60/40 split and you could keep up to 30 interviews. It's entirely possible that next year they could end up bumping it back up to 25 or something.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:01 pm

To get this thread back on track, did anybody get contacted by CSO today asking them about adding alternates/dropping preselects?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 pm

This has gotten kind of out of control.

Anyone other than me finding it absolutely impossible to track the conversation b/c of all the anon postings?

btw - everyone, relax!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 pm

[quote=]Also, the firms I would have been SR'ing are probably not the same firms that someone with 1 or 2 interviews would be SR'ing. Secondly, who is going to be SR'ing the really elite firms? Is someone who is really in the running for a Cravath or a W&C or Covington going to have less than 20 interviews by the time it gets to the SR stage? I bet some of these firms will have 0 meaningful special requests. If someone with 20+ interviews and with the grades for these firms could SR them then maybe they would get a callback and an offer and subsequently decline some of their other screeners after the fact and open more spots for others.[/quote]

Sorry to add to the anons, vamedic, haha, but...

I know someone (from c/o 2011 or 2012--don't want to out anyone too much) who SR'ed at a DC firm at least--if not more--competitive than Covington, converted it into an SA position and is heading there after graduation. S/he had been denied both PS and alt status and didn't get the firm in the lottery, despite it being listed in his/her top 5. I'm almost positive that his/her GPA was below that firm's minimum interview range.

Just one random example, but it can definitely happen.

To throw in my own 2 cents... I had 45+ PS's last year, ended up doing maybe 22 interviews at most, and absolutely approve of moving the limit from 30 to 20 this year. Like someone (I think Cav?) said, if you can't get what someone else (Doritos?) defined as a "good job" offer out of 20 interviews, the problem isn't with your # of interviews...

At the same time, I also agree with vamedic. OGI's are important, but what we're quibbling about now isn't really. As much as possible, try to chillax.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to add to the anons, vamedic, haha, but...

I know someone (from c/o 2011 or 2012--don't want to out anyone too much) who SR'ed at a DC firm at least--if not more--competitive than Covington, converted it into an SA position and is heading there after graduation. S/he had been denied both PS and alt status and didn't get the firm in the lottery, despite it being listed in his/her top 5. I'm almost positive that his/her GPA was below that firm's minimum interview range.

Just one random example, but it can definitely happen.

To throw in my own 2 cents... I had 45+ PS's last year, ended up doing maybe 22 interviews at most, and absolutely approve of moving the limit from 30 to 20 this year. Like someone (I think Cav?) said, if you can't get what someone else (Doritos?) defined as a "good job" offer out of 20 interviews, the problem isn't with your # of interviews...

At the same time, I also agree with vamedic. OGI's are important, but what we're quibbling about now isn't really. As much as possible, try to chillax.

Very interesting...

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Can any of you 3L types let us know what to expect as far as a next step in the process? Will we see whether our alts turned to interviews prior to the lottery? If not, will we ever know whether we got an interview by virtue of alt status or from the lottery? What the deal be, and when can we expect the OGI stuff to re-appear on Symplicity?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Can any of you 3L types let us know what to expect as far as a next step in the process? Will we see whether our alts turned to interviews prior to the lottery? If not, will we ever know whether we got an interview by virtue of alt status or from the lottery? What the deal be, and when can we expect the OGI stuff to re-appear on Symplicity?

You probably know more than we do, given that you're presumably getting spammed with emails from Career services. I don't remember exactly how it all works, but try not to worry about how you get your interviews or when they'll appear on Symplicity; you'll have them well before interviews begin.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 pm

you're all overthinking this

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:you're all overthinking this



I'm sure you were the picture of serenity two weeks before OGI.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:you're all overthinking this


I'm sure you were the picture of serenity two weeks before OGI.


I was a wreck. But I wish I would have just chilled the fuck out. Things would have gone much better for me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Has KD called anyone?

soso
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby soso » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has KD called anyone?


I know they said we should be available in case they need to contact us. I just don't know why they would need to. Surely they are not calling that many people. What is the scenario in which they contact someone. The actual scenario that they described, not hypothetical scenarios. Looking for actual wording from career services.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 pm

I just talked to Patrice Hayden, and she said that we shouldn't see anything on Symplicity until Monday, at which point the lottery should be run and the interviews scheduled. She also said she thought that Symplicity would indicate to us whether we had gotten an interview by virtue of alternate status or the lottery.

soso
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby soso » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I just talked to Patrice Hayden, and she said that we shouldn't see anything on Symplicity until Monday, at which point the lottery should be run and the interviews scheduled. She also said she thought that Symplicity would indicate to us whether we had gotten an interview by virtue of alternate status or the lottery.


That makes sense, and is exactly what was said in the email of July 27th.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby 5ky » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm

soso wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has KD called anyone?


I know they said we should be available in case they need to contact us. I just don't know why they would need to. Surely they are not calling that many people. What is the scenario in which they contact someone. The actual scenario that they described, not hypothetical scenarios. Looking for actual wording from career services.


They need to be able to contact you if students kept 20 preselects and then some alternates (or really any combination where preselects + alternates could go above 20). If any of those alternates panned out, KD would have to call and see which preselect the student would want to drop to accept the alternate-turned-preselect.

You can accept a combined total of more than 20 pre-selections plus alternates, but you cannot end up with more than 20 interviews. Our formal policy is that if, through either of these avenues, you receive more than 20 interviews, we have the right to cut you to 20 by eliminating the ones that were lowest on your bid list. From a practical standpoint, however, I never do this without attempting to reach the student to get input. As long as I can easily reach you during the scheduling period (next Thursday through Saturday), we should not have a problem with adjusting your interview list. You will just need to be prepared to make quick decisions about what will go if you exceed 20.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Top 1/4 bid mostly NYC, received less than 5 preselects and more than 10 alternates. Am I going to get a job?

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/4 bid mostly NYC, received less than 5 preselects and more than 10 alternates. Am I going to get a job?

Probably not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/4 bid mostly NYC, received less than 5 preselects and more than 10 alternates. Am I going to get a job?

Probably not.



Yea, I'm probably screwed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/4 bid mostly NYC, received less than 5 preselects and more than 10 alternates. Am I going to get a job?


Yes, you will. FWIW, last year with top 1/4 grades I had 2 preselects and 5 alternates. I eventually got an SA gig with a firm better than most of those I bid on.

Cast a wide net. Apply for everything and take every interview you get.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/4 bid mostly NYC, received less than 5 preselects and more than 10 alternates. Am I going to get a job?


Yes, you will. FWIW, last year with top 1/4 grades I had 2 preselects and 5 alternates. I eventually got an SA gig with a firm better than most of those I bid on.

Cast a wide net. Apply for everything and take every interview you get.


How'd you end up doing at OGI in terms of # of interviews, etc?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:56 am

Received an email from KD at 5:30 asking me to choose which alternates/preselects to keep.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received an email from KD at 5:30 asking me to choose which alternates/preselects to keep.


+1

User avatar
A Swift
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby A Swift » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:18 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/4 bid mostly NYC, received less than 5 preselects and more than 10 alternates. Am I going to get a job?

Probably not.


Fuck off.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 am

Has anyone heard anything on callbacks from TIP? I got a call from Thompson & Knight Dallas.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.