UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:33 am

Same here. No extra interview(s).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:11 am

I picked up Wiley Rein DC. Kind of sad I can't special request now, but w/e. After they increased the number of people who can special request firms I suspect the yield will be much smaller anyway.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I picked up Wiley Rein DC. Kind of sad I can't special request now, but w/e. After they increased the number of people who can special request firms I suspect the yield will be much smaller anyway.
Why do you say that? Yesterday's email said the following:
The Most Interesting Man in the World, Kevin Donovan wrote: In an effort to prevent gaps in interview schedules, we will in some instances be allowing students to accept 2-3 interviews in excess of the 20 interview limit.
. . .
[W]e are now allowing students with 20 interviews to submit up to 2 special requests for firms they wish to speak with during OGI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:26 am

Picked up an interview with Cahill. Had been an alternate.
Anonymous User wrote:I picked up Wiley Rein DC. Kind of sad I can't special request now, but w/e. After they increased the number of people who can special request firms I suspect the yield will be much smaller anyway.
KD's email said some students would be allowed to take 2 or 3 over the limit, so I think as long as we have less than 23 interviews we may still be able to special request. I'm having a meeting with a CSO today so I'll ask while I'm there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
The Most Interesting Man in the World, Kevin Donovan wrote: In an effort to prevent gaps in interview schedules, we will in some instances be allowing students to accept 2-3 interviews in excess of the 20 interview limit.
. . .
[W]e are now allowing students with 20 interviews to submit up to 2 special requests for firms they wish to speak with during OGI.
I think you're right, but the sentence about special requests technically reads that people with 20 interviews can special request, not people with 20 or more. But I assume that's what they meant and I'll be double-checking today.

Edit--My posts are assuming that anon has more than 20 interviews, but maybe I'm just reading my own situation into their post.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
. . .
I'm at 22 interviews and I read the email as saying students with 20 interviews can special request, while students above 20 can not. It isn't very clear so I sent a SR off anyway. We will see if they accept it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 am

Kinda pissed that they are now letting people with 20 get all the way to 23. I am stuck below that number and my odds are now decreasing i'll pick up any more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:23 am

Anyone else slightly surprised by the interviews they picked up? I sent an email to CSO asking to see why I got the ones I did, but I'm curious to know if anyone else felt that their pickups were a slight aberration.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else slightly surprised by the interviews they picked up? I sent an email to CSO asking to see why I got the ones I did, but I'm curious to know if anyone else felt that their pickups were a slight aberration.
I'm not sure what you mean. Were the firms you picked up not on your bid list? I did think it was kind of strange that in the email they said some people picked back up preselects that they had declined already. It would be kind of an awkward thing I would think since the firm would obviously realize you had declined them to start with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else slightly surprised by the interviews they picked up? I sent an email to CSO asking to see why I got the ones I did, but I'm curious to know if anyone else felt that their pickups were a slight aberration.
I'm not sure what you mean. Were the firms you picked up not on your bid list? I did think it was kind of strange that in the email they said some people picked back up preselects that they had declined already. It would be kind of an awkward thing I would think since the firm would obviously realize you had declined them to start with.
I'll get into it a bit more if others are in the same boat. Either way, more interviews are probably a good thing.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:

I think this entire round was basically trying to keep firms happy and keep relations up with them. I'm sure they could have apportioned all of the open slots to those with fewer than 20 interviews, but I have a hunch that they increased the limit so that they could give at least some of them to students who had declined preselects or who were alternates and at 20.

Just one of the quirks of a pre-select system. If UVa tells these firms that they'll get to preselect 70% of their interviewees, that's an obvious draw for the firms. But if a bunch of people decline it and leave open spots, the firm might not be as happy with having all of those slots filled with essentially lottery selections.

If a firm would rather be interviewing those students they preselected, even though the students initially declined the interview, as opposed to lottery selections, that's their prerogative, I suppose. If that's what they want, I don't see the harm in UVa acting accordingly. Keeping the firms happy is pretty key, especially in a preselect system.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:
I'll get into it a bit more if others are in the same boat. Either way, more interviews are probably a good thing.
I didn't get any more. WTF.

What markets?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:
I didn't get any more. WTF.

What markets?
I have to imagine that very few people probably added any in heavily-bid markets, such as NY.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 am

5ky wrote:I have to imagine that very few people probably added any in heavily-bid markets, such as NY.
Your imagination bears a striking resemblance to my reality.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 am

You emailed CSO to ask WHY you got MORE interviews? Doesn't it seem like they have a few more important things to do at this time of year, especially considering how hard they have been working for you all? If you don't want the new interviews you got, just decline them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I talked a lot to the recruiters at my firm, and I think you all are overestimating the tabs firms are keeping on this process. In all likelihood they got a gigantic stack of resumes and transcripts from which they selected a big number of pre-selects and alternates. Then right before they arrive they will likely receive an interview schedule. These firms are often doing 10, 20, 30 OCIs plus career fairs plus handling mass mail applications. They realistically aren't going to be following all of the ebs and flows of UVA's process.

So to the people worried that a firm might notice somebody declined a preselect then picked it back up, I am deeply skeptical that information that granular in nature was transmitted to the firms, and even if it was I can't imagine anybody is paying enough attention about a detail like that to make a note or care.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:28 pm

5ky wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:

I think this entire round was basically trying to keep firms happy and keep relations up with them. I'm sure they could have apportioned all of the open slots to those with fewer than 20 interviews, but I have a hunch that they increased the limit so that they could give at least some of them to students who had declined preselects or who were alternates and at 20.

Just one of the quirks of a pre-select system. If UVa tells these firms that they'll get to preselect 70% of their interviewees, that's an obvious draw for the firms. But if a bunch of people decline it and leave open spots, the firm might not be as happy with having all of those slots filled with essentially lottery selections.

If a firm would rather be interviewing those students they preselected, even though the students initially declined the interview, as opposed to lottery selections, that's their prerogative, I suppose. If that's what they want, I don't see the harm in UVa acting accordingly. Keeping the firms happy is pretty key, especially in a preselect system.
I think it's less complicated than this. After all of the declining, some firms were left with open slots. That could make it seem like a waste of time to those employers, and therefore reflect poorly on UVa/make them not want to come back in the future. So CSO filled those slots, trying to make sure to do so with candidates that expressed some fairly strong interest in these firms at some point in the process. I'd guess that they only put people back into interviews that they had declined in a handful of cases, and probably only when there were no students with <20 interviews that had bid those firms anywhere near the tops of their lists.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kinda pissed that they are now letting people with 20 get all the way to 23. I am stuck below that number and my odds are now decreasing i'll pick up any more.
This is incorrect for two reasons. First, I guarantee that if they had students with <20 interviews to whom these extra interviews could be allotted, they would do so. Second, these are interview slots that were otherwise empty. They aren't taking anything away from anybody. Do you think they should just randomly assign the slots to people who didn't have those offices in their top 50?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm

And we're on Above the Law again. Dean Hopson, in addition to knowing nothing and giving horrible advice, is also incompetent at using technology.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.facebook.com/notes/virginia- ... 1024423813

Honestly, I'm glad this leaked. We need to know what's really going on.

TheHonDebater

New

Post by TheHonDebater » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I'd rather live in denial. Too late to do any good for us anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/uva-laws ... more-88911

http://www.facebook.com/notes/virginia- ... 1024423813

Honestly, I'm glad this leaked. We need to know what's really going on.
+1, there needs to be a lot more transparency especially for the 0L's

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm

it's going to be really interesting if and how ocs addresses this to all of us since kd's email after the first round of preselects were released shows that someone in ocs is reading tls and has to be reading above the law

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 pm

TheHonDebater wrote:I'd rather live in denial. Too late to do any good for us anyway.

Well it's good for prospective applicants. If its gotten this bad here then non top 14 schools have really become a waste without a full ride or close to it.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 pm

According to the title of the ATL post, our employment numbers are "less than impressive." As compared to what? Even if a quarter of the class is still unemployed at this point (and I think we all know that the number is significantly less than that, as I'm sure it was sent out to every student who was not known to have a job), how do those numbers stack up against peer institutions? If we don't have any context, the number is meaningless.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”