UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who applied to Nixon Peabody get that email to send more stuff in through their website? Or was it just me?
I got it too - I assume they sent it to everyone who bid them.
Weird. I got it too, but they might only want more information from you. All mine said was:

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:17 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who applied to Nixon Peabody get that email to send more stuff in through their website? Or was it just me?
I got it too - I assume they sent it to everyone who bid them.
Weird. I got it too, but they might only want more information from you. All mine said was:

--ImageRemoved--
Second anonymous poster here - mine didn't ask for additional info, it just asked for the same materials submitted via Symplicity to be submitted through their site. I bet they just prefer to have all job application materials (from all law school candidates, not just UVA) in one place, which is why they want the information submitted through their website rather than just Symplicity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

first anon poster. Mine didn't have additional info, it just had another site to send materials to you.

ANNOYING.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:the OGI handbook says that the average amount of interviews per student was around 15 before special requests. so something has to give.
So special requests probably pushed the average up to 16 interviews at most. What's so tough to understand?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/4 all NYC. How many preselects guise?
With basically same grades and bidding 50% NYC and 50% California (an even easier market to get preselects), I had 23 preselects last year. My guess is you'll get at least 15, and probably around 20.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
With basically same grades and bidding 50% NYC and 50% California (an even easier market to get preselects), I had 23 preselects last year. My guess is you'll get at least 15, and probably around 20.
The data for this is actually pretty interesting.

2010 California: 808 Bids, 270 Interviews. 33% chance of turning a bid into an interview.
2010 NY: 2700 Bids, 852 Interviews. 32% chance of turning a bid into an interview.

Edit: these numbers only reflect what was in that OGI handbook, so the data for some firms is missing/incomplete.

But within the California firms, there was massive variance. At some firms (generally the larger offices) it was extraordinarily easy to pick up an interview, (i.e. 24 bids and 20 interviews), which was counteracted with a whole bunch of smaller offices where it was almost impossible to get an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you mind saying what NYC firms preselected you? Further, the results of the interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 pm

How did top 10% bidding in DC fare last year in terms of preselects?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Anyone on here doing the Texas Interview Program in early August?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:the OGI handbook says that the average amount of interviews per student was around 15 before special requests. so something has to give.
So special requests probably pushed the average up to 16 interviews at most. What's so tough to understand?
Lol i mean if pre-select average was 9 and average lottery interviews was 2-5, then the average interviews per person before special requests could not have been 15 unless the pre-select average was higher than 9 (it could have been the median and this would be the mistake i made). But if the average was 9 + 2-5 lottery, then 15 would be inconsistent.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 pm

I don't know where you're pulling that 2-5 number from. I know I mentioned it earlier, but I didn't have any facts to base that off, just vague recollections from prior anecdotal threads. I don't think it makes much of a difference either.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on here doing the Texas Interview Program in early August?
I am. I only have one interview and one preselect in each city, but I figure it's worth the cost.

<--Anonymity hater

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:10 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on here doing the Texas Interview Program in early August?
I am. I only have one interview and one preselect in each city, but I figure it's worth the cost.

<--Anonymity hater
Yeah I'm doing it too I think it will be good to Do some interviews before ogi For sure plus texas > NYC IMHO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:15 pm

barry wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

<--Anonymity hater
Yeah I'm doing it too I think it will be good to Do some interviews before ogi
For sure plus texas > NYC IMHO
first TX anon here, definitely not an anonymity hater.

I wonder how many people were bidding/what the competition looks like across the schools attending. I have pretty good Texas ties, so I'm hoping to have some success down there, as well as the practice before OGI.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

barry wrote:Yeah I'm doing it too I think it will be good to Do some interviews before ogi For sure plus texas > NYC IMHO
Word, barry. (Not to be confused with former Chiefs running back Barry Word.)
Anonymous User wrote:I wonder how many people were bidding/what the competition looks like across the schools attending. I have pretty good Texas ties, so I'm hoping to have some success down there, as well as the practice before OGI.
I'd love to know this myself. I figure that this is a big opportunity for those with Texas ties because a)most people who are willing to pay to fly out for these interviews will be those with such ties, and b)since these firms only asked for resumes and grades, those of us without Texas ties don't have the advantage of being able to explain our desire to work in Texas via cover letters. I figure/hope that that's why I didn't get too many TIP interviews, and I hope/figure that OGI should be a little bit different.

Since you're all staying anonymous and stuff, care to give your relevant info? How many firms did you bid on for each city, how many preselects/alternates did you get, how strong are your grades/ties?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

bgdddymtty wrote: Since you're all staying anonymous and stuff, care to give your relevant info? How many firms did you bid on for each city, how many preselects/alternates did you get, how strong are your grades/ties?
Without getting too specific:

Top 15%, grew up in Texas and family still lives there. My resume reflected home address.

Pre-select at 8/9 in Dallas, and 6/7 in Houston.

Needless to say, I was excited about the results because TX is one of my target markets.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 pm

yeah do you think it will be harder or easier to convert these TIP interviews into cb's compared to OGI? I don't have texas ties, but would definitely be happy to move there

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:31 pm

barry wrote:yeah do you think it will be harder or easier to convert these TIP interviews into cb's compared to OGI? I don't have texas ties, but would definitely be happy to move there
I'm not sure as to whether it will be harder or easier. I guess it all depends on which kids accepted their alternates/preselects from other schools, and what the overall competition is like, but that's impossible to know. I would think that taking the time to travel to TX goes to establishing you are willing to make an effort to come to that market, so that may help with a lack of ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 pm

How do median grades typically fare in NY ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Lol i mean if pre-select average was 9 and average lottery interviews was 2-5, then the average interviews per person before special requests could not have been 15 unless the pre-select average was higher than 9 (it could have been the median and this would be the mistake i made). But if the average was 9 + 2-5 lottery, then 15 would be inconsistent.
Remember that alternates have to be factored into this too. That could account for the descrepancy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do median grades typically fare in NY ?
Would like to know this as well. Or alernatively if someone could provide a range of success based upon varying GPAs that'd be awesome. Obviously, grades are only one factor, but they are a good way to measure and it'd be helpful to hear any evidence or thoughts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Without getting too specific:

Top 15%, grew up in Texas and family still lives there. My resume reflected home address.

Pre-select at 8/9 in Dallas, and 6/7 in Houston.

Needless to say, I was excited about the results because TX is one of my target markets.
Please forgo OGI and then write an interview-advice article for the semester's first edition of Law Weekly titled, "Just the TIP."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Should I be mass mailing with a 3.5?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be mass mailing with a 3.5?
Yes. Why wouldn't you? If it turns out you're not great at interviewing, you're going to need every opportunity you can get.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:15 pm

9 days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”