UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gladiator

Silver

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by gladiator » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question for the rising 3Ls who are extremely knowledgeable about the OGI process. How bad is it to not go to a firm reception if you're interviewing with that firm during OGIs? I know that going can only help, but I don't have a car so I'm wondering if I would irreparably damage my shot at an offer with a firm with which I'm interviewing if I don't go to their reception. Obviously, I plan on cabbing it to as many of these events as possible, but as a preemptive question, is missing a firm reception unforgivable?
Definitely go to all of them. They check who showed up and who didn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 pm

gladiator wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a question for the rising 3Ls who are extremely knowledgeable about the OGI process. How bad is it to not go to a firm reception if you're interviewing with that firm during OGIs? I know that going can only help, but I don't have a car so I'm wondering if I would irreparably damage my shot at an offer with a firm with which I'm interviewing if I don't go to their reception. Obviously, I plan on cabbing it to as many of these events as possible, but as a preemptive question, is missing a firm reception unforgivable?
How long do you need to stay at a reception? For instance, if there are multiple receptions in one night, what should we do?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gladiator wrote:
How long do you need to stay at a reception? For instance, if there are multiple receptions in one night, what should we do?
I'd recommend staying for thirty minutes to an hour if there's another to attend. You mainly just want to make sure everyone sees you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:57 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
(3) Once you have an offer, and especially if you manage to do a callback during OGI (this is possible), cancel your screening interviews and callbacks at any firms that you know that you wouldn't take over the one you got an offer from. This will open spaces for your classmates.
Following is from career services email:

"If you accept an interview, you are committing to interviewing with that firm unless you have accepted another job offer before the time of the interview or you have been granted permission by Career Services to withdraw. "

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
(3) Once you have an offer, and especially if you manage to do a callback during OGI (this is possible), cancel your screening interviews and callbacks at any firms that you know that you wouldn't take over the one you got an offer from. This will open spaces for your classmates.

"If you accept an interview, you are committing to interviewing with that firm unless you have accepted another job offer before the time of the interview or you have been granted permission by Career Services to withdraw. "
Umm...? Thanks for confirming vanwinkle, I guess?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

(1) Why is this being posted anonymously?

(2) If you have an offer, you can still ask career services to allow you to withdraw the interview. I don't receive the emails that career services sends to 2Ls, however, last year, if you give them advance notice and ask politely, they allowed you to cancel interviews once you have an offer.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 am

They let me cancel interviews when all I had were several callbacks. If you're confident you're going to convert an offer you want, then it's the right thing to do.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 am

I agree; you should feel free to request to withdraw from interviews. Give career services as much advance notice as possible so that they have time to find someone to replace you. Last year I noticed that the handful of firms that interviewed relatively late (and thus, on days where students were unlikely to have more than one screening interview) had a ton of cancellations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

Cavalier wrote:I agree; you should feel free to request to withdraw from interviews. Give career services as much advance notice as possible so that they have time to find someone to replace you. Last year I noticed that the handful of firms that interviewed relatively late (and thus, on days where students were unlikely to have more than one screening interview) had a ton of cancellations.
Had to cancel an interview due to Symplicity bugging out and granting me an interview it shouldn't have. Woke up this morning to emails telling me I had been granted two additional interviews. Doubt they're related, but it was a nice surprise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 am

has anyone heard back from the firms that we applied to by emailing in a resume and transcript after ogi bidding closed? if so, which ones? when i met with career services they said that those would be coming in late (maybe even as late as the beginning of next week), but i don't know how to know if they're in yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I agree; you should feel free to request to withdraw from interviews. Give career services as much advance notice as possible so that they have time to find someone to replace you. Last year I noticed that the handful of firms that interviewed relatively late (and thus, on days where students were unlikely to have more than one screening interview) had a ton of cancellations.
Had to cancel an interview due to Symplicity bugging out and granting me an interview it shouldn't have. Woke up this morning to emails telling me I had been granted two additional interviews. Doubt they're related, but it was a nice surprise.
I originally accepted a preselect that I didn't want all that much (it was my last non-government bid) as a safety, but then I ended up with 20 interviews after alternates/lottery. I asked Career Services to let me drop the interview so I'd have room for a special request, and they were fine with it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

(1) Why is this being posted anonymously?
Since aggressive enforcement of anon led to poster concerns about whether they could share at all, we're trying to allow more anon posts like this as long as they stay topical. Some posters may want to share things that are useful but be worried about being identified, and we should be encouraging those kind of posts, as long as the information in them is helpful in some way. When posting, people should keep in mind that posting anon is less credible and you'll have greater impact if you identify yourself while sharing, but right now we're granting leeway for people to decide that for themselves as long as their post is topical and helpful.

If there's an offensive or abusive anon post, people are welcome to report it. I'm just posting this as an explanation, not to turn this into a discussion-about-anon thread. Instead, discussions about what should and shouldn't be allowed as anon are welcome here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=146657

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

Clicked on the last page of the employment forum without realizing it...found myself in a thread titled "No offers" where the OP says Paul Hastings is rumored to be no offering its summer class en masse...had a massive panic attack. Finally realized it was from 2009, now I'm just in a lingering state of :shock:. TLS can be worse than nightmares sometimes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Man, the news from CSO just keeps getting better. Mods should just delete the 30 pages of panic from this thread.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 pm

5ky wrote:Man, the news from CSO just keeps getting better. Mods should just delete the 30 pages of panic from this thread.
What now?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:Man, the news from CSO just keeps getting better. Mods should just delete the 30 pages of panic from this thread.
What now?
Because of patterns of people rejecting interviews and just the way people bid, firms still have open slots, so they'll be apportioning those out based on bid lists. I think they'll go to those with <20 first if possible, then above 20. They'll start to give those with 20 a few more, up to 22-23. Those with 20 or more may now special request up to 2 firms, rather than being completely barred from doing so.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:04 pm

5ky wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
What now?
Because of patterns of people rejecting interviews and just the way people bid, firms still have open slots, so they'll be apportioning those out based on bid lists. I think they'll go to those with <20 first if possible, then above 20. They'll start to give those with 20 a few more, up to 22-23. Those with 20 or more may now special request up to 2 firms, rather than being completely barred from doing so.
Definitely good news!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Does this mean hiring is completely eff'd?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does this mean hiring is completely eff'd?
Why would this be true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does this mean hiring is completely eff'd?
Why would this be true?

Meant to say, "not completely eff'd"

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Fuck to the yeah, babay!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:54 pm

The news about the elimination of the first day sign-in requirement is also great for those doing callbacks in non-DC locations. For instance, if you get three CA callbacks, you can now schedule them all at once the week of the 29th through the 2nd and avoid having to make two trips or delaying the callbacks by a week. Glad the school finally realized that forcing students to be in school on a Wednesday was dumb.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Cavalier wrote:The news about the elimination of the first day sign-in requirement is also great for those doing callbacks in non-DC locations. For instance, if you get three CA callbacks, you can now schedule them all at once the week of the 29th through the 2nd and avoid having to make two trips or delaying the callbacks by a week. Glad the school finally realized that forcing students to be in school on a Wednesday was dumb.
It's also great for 3Ls who don't care about law school anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:48 pm

TIP update: got the call from Patton Boggs Dallas tonight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:05 am

Didn't get any extra interviews. Still at 16.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”