UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 10%, Law Review: 8 Preselects, 10 alternates at this point.
Where'd you bid?

Seriously, lol wtf is this. Send the 0Ls in to this thread.
DC and Secondary Market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 am

does selecting alternates count towards your 20 allowed preselects? I've got about 10 preselects/alternates each right now and wondering if I selected all, would i be unable to select any more preselects coming in

obviously I'm waiting to do anything but i was a little unclear on this THX

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Where'd you bid?

Seriously, lol wtf is this. Send the 0Ls in to this thread.
I for one am reading it and am somewhat shocked. Hoping - I guess like many of you - that things pick up as preselects are declined and more firms come on-line.

Maybe once it's over the class of 2014 will have a better picture as to whether the OGI system has failed students, whether hiring patterns have changed, or if too many were pushed to bid exclusively on NYC.

Best of luck to each of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 am

"Things continue to look positive for the recruiting season. Another employer just added a room of interviews in order to see more students who bid the firm!"

THANKS CAREER SERVICES!!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:27 am

Top 1/3, bid Primarily DC and NY with a few scattered

Four Preselects:
hogan lovells (DC)
Willkie Farr (NY)
Hunton Williams (Rich)
McKenna Long (ATL)

Alternates:
Baker Hostetler (DC)
Venable (DC)
Seward & Kissel (DC)
Davis Polk (NY)
Cahill Gordon (NY)
Jones Day (ATL)
Arnall Golden (ATL)

What is the tallest point in CVille for me to hurl my body from?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:It appears as if nothing has changed. Got absolutely slaughtered. Top 1/4, all NYC. 3 Preselects.

Glad I'm paying 50K a year.
:shock:
Sorry that an NU kid is coming into your thread, but holy fucking shit, dude. Are preselects generally a good indicator for OCI results as a whole (we don't have preselects)? That is fucking crazy.

Also, to the above poster: WTF?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 am

This sounds like a massacre.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 am

bjsesq wrote:Sorry that an NU kid is coming into your thread, but holy fucking shit, dude. Are preselects generally a good indicator for OCI results as a whole (we don't have preselects)? That is fucking crazy.
No one knows what the fuck is going on. Career services is swearing up down and sideways that a number of firms are not in the system yet.

FWIW, I had another preselect up this morning, but it's in a (very) secondary market near home.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 am

Top 10 percent, LR, decent WE — 24 pre-selects, 8 alternates. For those of you who went heavy in NY, I'm going to be declining all my NY offers, so hopefully it will free up some space for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Sorry that an NU kid is coming into your thread, but holy fucking shit, dude. Are preselects generally a good indicator for OCI results as a whole (we don't have preselects)? That is fucking crazy.
No one knows what the fuck is going on. Career services is swearing up down and sideways that a number of firms are not in the system yet.

FWIW, I had another preselect up this morning, but it's in a (very) secondary market near home.
This is just.... It's fucking frightening, to be honest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:37 am

It would be really nice if OCS could compile a list of firms that haven't yet made their selections. The fact that we're being forced to guess based on what people post on TLS is absolute torture...

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 am

I'm not a UVA student, but I'm posting for a friend who wanted to contribute his/her information to the thread.

Top 1/3, LR. 20 preselects, 14 alternates. Bid on DC and NY almost exclusively.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am

Some of us were concerned that since it was now common knowledge that NYC was not as competitive, people would flood that market with bids to make it very competitive. Is that what happened here? Seems possible.

Another thing is that top 20% and above seems to have done very well, but top 25% seems to have done much worse than that. Perhaps that's where firms are making a big cut-off, but that seems to go against what we expected or had heard before.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:46 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Any idea when all the firms should be in the system? It scares me that they said "a number of firms;" that could just mean a handful of firms

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:46 am

Non-UVA student here.

Oh my god.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 am

Since firms have a set amount of spots allotted for interviews, doesn't SOMEONE have to get the preselects? I'm still holding out hope that there are a lot of stragglers...

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:does selecting alternates count towards your 20 allowed preselects? I've got about 10 preselects/alternates each right now and wondering if I selected all, would i be unable to select any more preselects coming in

obviously I'm waiting to do anything but i was a little unclear on this THX
My understanding: You can select up to 20 preselects. You can select as many alternates as you want, even over 20. If you get those alternates, you will lose preselects based on bid ranking order, with a cap at 20 interviews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since firms have a set amount of spots allotted for interviews, doesn't SOMEONE have to get the preselects? I'm still holding out hope that there are a lot of stragglers...
The problem is that a lot of these firms only had 20 interview slots -- that means only 13ish preselects, which is just not very many.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 am

3.5 GPA, good work experience. Sent 30 bids to NYC. 1 pre-select. 7 alternates.

Maybe firms were turned off by my midwest/westcoast resume, but that goes against the "don't need ties to NYC" banter we've heard.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.5 GPA, good work experience. Sent 30 bids to NYC. 1 pre-select. 7 alternates.

Maybe firms were turned off by my midwest/westcoast resume, but that goes against the "don't need ties to NYC" banter we've heard.
:shock:

I can't look at this thread anymore.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 am

This is all so silly. If you have a "not invited" from a firm, but no one else has confirmed that that firm has issued invitations, stop freaking out about it! You don't know anything yet.

Think of it like grades. Imagine if, instead of having blanks, SIS put in a B- for each class as a dummy until real grades come in. We're told that grades are supposed to be in by a certain day, but then Cary Bennett sends us an email at the last minute saying that, for whatever reason, several professors had not yet turned in their grades. If you then went to your grades, saw a bunch of B-'s, and thought, "Aaaaaauuugggghhhh! I'm going to /self! Why, cruel world, why?" you'd be an idiot. If you had confirmation from a bunch of classmates that particular grades were in, fine, draw conclusions about those. Otherwise, you're just getting worked up over (literally) nothing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am

bgdddymtty wrote:This is all so silly. If you have a "not invited" from a firm, but no one else has confirmed that that firm has issued invitations, stop freaking out about it! You don't know anything yet.

Think of it like grades. Imagine if, instead of having blanks, SIS put in a B- for each class as a dummy until real grades come in. We're told that grades are supposed to be in by a certain day, but then Cary Bennett sends us an email at the last minute saying that, for whatever reason, several professors had not yet turned in their grades. If you then went to your grades, saw a bunch of B-'s, and thought, "Aaaaaauuugggghhhh! I'm going to /self! Why, cruel world, why?" you'd be an idiot. If you had confirmation from a bunch of classmates that particular grades were in, fine, draw conclusions about those. Otherwise, you're just getting worked up over (literally) nothing.

If you look over the thread, though, there's really only like 10 NY firms that nobody has heard from. That's Bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am

bgdddymtty wrote:This is all so silly. If you have a "not invited" from a firm, but no one else has confirmed that that firm has issued invitations, stop freaking out about it! You don't know anything yet.

Would it kill Cary Bennett to send out an email clarifying which grades were real and which grades were dummies?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:07 am

You're right. These situations are completely analagous. There is a discernible pattern in both. Wait....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 am

yeah dawgs, pre-selects are definitely still rolling out. I just got a pre-select from a firm that someone else had posted as giving them a pre-select last night

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”