UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:04 pm

How likely are alternates to turn into preselects?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:05 pm

bertstare wrote:Image
I love this alt.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Is there any reason for Career Services not to offer, during bidding, a live count of how many bids each firm has received. That would have allowed students to avoid wasting bids on firms that appear to be overbid, encouraging bids on lower ranked firms and secondary markets as necessary. Couldn't they also provide the mean or median gpa for bidders on a firm so you would know where you stand against other bidders.

I'd have thought such a system would benefit students and firms alike?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:09 pm

(1) The freaking out in this thread is absolutely ridiculous.

(2) As I understand it, career services has made clear to the 2L class that not all interview offers are in.

(3) There are at least as many firms this year as last year. The number of students have remained the same. But, now people can only accept 20 interviews. This means that people who are not at the top of the class should have more interviews than the equivalent person last year.

(4) Most firms do not use all their preselect interview slots on top of the class. Ie, firms know that people in the top of the class are not going to turn down SullCrom to come to them.

(5) Firms like the partial preselect system - firms have cutoffs and limits that their hiring committee will not let them deviate from. Firms like to interview people that they will be able to callback. Firms do a lot of screening based on resume and transcript regardless of when they get then. Students are not all special snowflakes.

(6) As people decline interviews, you will get more interviews. Plus you get lottery slots. Plus you should special request every firm that put you as an alternate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:16 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I stand (slightly) corrected. In this thread, posters have noted receiving preselects/alternates from 143 out of the 587 offices that are coming to OGI. They are as follows (NYC unless otherwise indicated):

Obviously, there are other offices that might be implied by these results if we know that a given firm should be releasing its invitations for all of its offices at the same time. But this is what we know for sure right now. Away from the ledges, people.
fwiw, this list covers almost all of my top 20, which was selected as conservatively as possible (nyc, big class size, low average CB gpa, low minimum CB gpa)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:16 pm

vamedic03 wrote:(1) The freaking out in this thread is absolutely ridiculous.

(2) As I understand it, career services has made clear to the 2L class that not all interview offers are in.

(3) There are at least as many firms this year as last year. The number of students have remained the same. But, now people can only accept 20 interviews. This means that people who are not at the top of the class should have more interviews than the equivalent person last year.

(4) Most firms do not use all their preselect interview slots on top of the class. Ie, firms know that people in the top of the class are not going to turn down SullCrom to come to them.

(5) Firms like the partial preselect system - firms have cutoffs and limits that their hiring committee will not let them deviate from. Firms like to interview people that they will be able to callback. Firms do a lot of screening based on resume and transcript regardless of when they get then. Students are not all special snowflakes.

(6) As people decline interviews, you will get more interviews. Plus you get lottery slots. Plus you should special request every firm that put you as an alternate.
The voice of reason here...it's too overpoweringly...reasonable! Ruining the freak out parade of everyone! :P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:I stand (slightly) corrected. In this thread, posters have noted receiving preselects/alternates from 143 out of the 587 offices that are coming to OGI. They are as follows (NYC unless otherwise indicated):

Obviously, there are other offices that might be implied by these results if we know that a given firm should be releasing its invitations for all of its offices at the same time. But this is what we know for sure right now. Away from the ledges, people.
fwiw, this list covers almost all of my top 20, which was selected as conservatively as possible (nyc, big class size, low average CB gpa, low minimum CB gpa)
Same exact situation. So basically things are as bad as they seem for me (and for you). My bid list is almost exclusively filled with the firms that have made their selections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Someone's pointed out that even firms which are on the list may still be updating their preselects. They may still choose a good deal more people as the top of the class declines interviews to get to 20.

PM61

New

Post by PM61 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 pm

best quote so far: "There is blood on the street." - anonymous

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm

PM61 wrote:
best quote so far: "There is blood on the street." - anonymous
"And the rivers ran red, and were as blood..."

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same exact situation. So basically things are as bad as they seem for me (and for you). My bid list is almost exclusively filled with the firms that have made their selections.
I hope people might not be so dismissive of these individuals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

There's no way these numbers add up. If they hold, you would be able to shoot a cannonball through the line of interview rooms and not hit a single person.

This whole thing reminds me of a story about the one honest sailor on a ship full of pirates. One day, the pirate ship was attacked by the Royal Navy. Cannonballs flew across for what seemed like eternity. When the smoke and dust finally settled, they finally discovered the truth.

I'm not sure how that reminds me of anything, but I really like that story.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This whole thing reminds me of a story about the one honest sailor on a ship full of pirates. One day, the pirate ship was attacked by the Royal Navy. Cannonballs flew across for what seemed like eternity. When the smoke and dust finally settled, they finally discovered the truth..
I think you accidentally a plot point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hope people might not be so dismissive of these individuals.
I don't think anyone means to be dismissive. Career services said they would provide an update by 4. Many firms that had preselects out this morning that updated with new preselects later in the day. I think everyone just needs to wait and see what it looks like when the dust settles.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:34 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This whole thing reminds me of a story about the one honest sailor on a ship full of pirates. One day, the pirate ship was attacked by the Royal Navy. Cannonballs flew across for what seemed like eternity. When the smoke and dust finally settled, they finally discovered the truth..
I think you accidentally a plot point.
:lol:

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Are there rules concerning special requests?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Is there a pre-select/alt ratio that firms generally follow? I'm guessing it is safe to say that this is a really ridiculous question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a pre-select/alt ratio that firms generally follow? I'm guessing it is safe to say that this is a really ridiculous question.
I'm pretty sure the system's set up so they have to be 70/30.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there a pre-select/alt ratio that firms generally follow? I'm guessing it is safe to say that this is a really ridiculous question.
Anon poster here -- so out of the 70% that can be preselects, you are saying 70% of that are preselects and 30% are alts?

softspoken

New

Post by softspoken » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

:shock: omg, this looks like an ogi bloodbath at UVA. To those striking out, are you starting to mass-mail DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
He was asking whether anyone knew what % of interviews a firm does are alternates rather than original pre-selects, not what % of interviews are lottery.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He was asking whether anyone knew what % of interviews a firm does are alternates rather than original pre-selects, not what % of interviews are lottery.
Oh, my bad. I have no idea. Frightening how bad I am at reading.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:51 pm

OK, now we can start freaking out.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm

There you have it folks.

mths

Silver