UVa OGI 2011 thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVa OGI 2011 thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:00 pm

In y'all's experience, how much does (significant) WE factor into preselects/callbacks/offers? (And please don't respond with "Positively.")

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:06 pm

From what I’ve heard… strong work experience is a boost because it shows maturity, finance work experience is a boost+

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In y'all's experience, how much does (significant) WE factor into preselects/callbacks/offers? (And please don't respond with "Positively.")
Hopefully not too much, because I've got very little in the way of professional WE and it's making my palms a little sweaty.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In y'all's experience, how much does (significant) WE factor into preselects/callbacks/offers? (And please don't respond with "Positively.")
It's definitely a strong plus factor. People with significant work experienced tended to do better at OGI, not only because it's one of the few things besides grades and Law Review that can distinguish a student, but also because people with work experience generally appear more serious and mature. Make sure you're able to discuss your previous career and why you left it for law school.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:10 pm

WE is a massive, enormous, huge, gigantic plus. People with WE did better than number would suggest and people without did worse. After OGI I honestly felt slightly foolish for going straight through with no prior WE, the boost that other saw and detriment youngbloods like me saw was so pronounced.

Anonymous User wrote:
showNprove wrote:Unless there are less firms coming this year than last, you all are very much underestimating your pre-selects...unless you bid heavily on DC...unless you're in the Top 10% of your class, in which case DC is fine.

Then again, I guess it's good to not get your hopes up, just in case. But don't be surprised if your 3.5, all NYC bids nets you more than 20 pre-selects.
RVP, Cavalier, TheSeaLocust, etc care to weigh in on this?
I don't believe guessing at pre-select receipt is a meaningful exercise. It changes massively between years, markets, candidates, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:
WE is a massive, enormous, huge, gigantic plus. People with WE did better than number would suggest and people without did worse. After OGI I honestly felt slightly foolish for going straight through with no prior WE, the boost that other saw and detriment youngbloods like me saw was so pronounced.

Anonymous User wrote:
showNprove wrote:Unless there are less firms coming this year than last, you all are very much underestimating your pre-selects...unless you bid heavily on DC...unless you're in the Top 10% of your class, in which case DC is fine.

Then again, I guess it's good to not get your hopes up, just in case. But don't be surprised if your 3.5, all NYC bids nets you more than 20 pre-selects.
RVP, Cavalier, TheSeaLocust, etc care to weigh in on this?
I don't believe guessing at pre-select receipt is a meaningful exercise. It changes massively between years, markets, candidates, etc.

It wasn't so much of a guess as a "yea that seems right, but who knows type thing" but whateves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Do the magic circle firms care about having international experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:56 am

how much will pitching in college help my number of preselects? (top 20-25%, NYC)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:how much will pitching in college help my number of preselects? (top 20-25%, NYC)
Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how much will pitching in college help my number of preselects? (top 20-25%, NYC)
It won't. As an associate you will need to learn how to bend over and take it catch.

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Does having some WE even if it isnt very impressive help at all, will I be a little less pwned than if I had went straight through?

PM61

New

Post by PM61 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 pm

barry wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Does having some WE even if it isnt very impressive help at all, will I be a little less pwned than if I had went straight through?
Sure.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

barry wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Yes. When people talk of the WE boost, it comes mostly from not being 23. Any relevance or substance is a cherry on top.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:
barry wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Yes. When people talk of the WE boost, it comes mostly from not being 23. Any relevance or substance is a cherry on top.
Good thing I spent 5 years post-undergrad living in my mom's basement and selling my World of Warcraft plunder on Ebay.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Self-starter. A true entrepreneur.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:
barry wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

To be fair, most 23 year olds are pure shit.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:To be fair, most 23 year olds are pure shit.
Acclaimed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:35 am

less than 48 hours . . .

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Sounds fair

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

:x

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 pm

Yes, yes we are...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Career Services wrote:Please be advised that Skadden Arps has decided not to interview on campus for their Houston office this year. Thus, your bid for that office has been cancelled and your other bids will be consolidated and move up one at the time of schedling.
What? My #50 bid goes down the tubes, just like that? I feel so wronged.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:31 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Career Services wrote:Please be advised that Skadden Arps has decided not to interview on campus for their Houston office this year. Thus, your bid for that office has been cancelled and your other bids will be consolidated and move up one at the time of schedling.
What? My #50 bid goes down the tubes, just like that? I feel so wronged.
badwithpseudonyms wrote:As an associate you will need to learn how to bend over and take it catch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Anyone think that a federal government default might affect firm hiring? I'm concerned we're about to live through another 2008. What are the odds?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone think that a federal government default might affect firm hiring? I'm concerned we're about to live through another 2008. What are the odds?
Zero. Seriously.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”